The "Older Than Dirt" Quiz....

Weapon of choice in grade school.
candy_necklace_koko_2.jpg
Ha!!

I remember having those when I was a wee one. I'd eat a few, leave it on my arm...and then find the candy would stick to my arm. :D

How about those wax bottles with the sugar water in them? Eek, those tasted nasty. Yet we still had 'em!

Adjustable shoe size gauges at shoe stores?
I used the Brannock Device for years. My Dad owned a chain of children's shoe stores in St. Louis. I worked for him during the summer.
Saw a Brannock Device in a big chain store recently and explained how it worked to my daughter.

Remember the "X-Ray" measuring machines where you'd put your foot in a well and the machine would tell you your size?

Oh yeah, 16 of 16 for me, too!

Remember the horizontal-bar speedometer gauges? Same system used on my '64 BMW. Has a string that runs to a float in the tank. Still working.

Ha!!

I remember having those when I was a wee one. I'd eat a few, leave it on my arm...and then find the candy would stick to my arm. :D

How about those wax bottles with the sugar water in them? Eek, those tasted nasty. Yet we still had 'em!
+

We used to chew the wax to get the last of the flavor out of it. :p

Saw a Brannock Device in a big chain store recently and explained how it worked to my daughter.
Far as I know, stores still use these, don't they? The few places I've been usually have them around.

Far as I know, stores still use these, don't they? The few places I've been usually have them around.
They don't seem to be so important these days since Chinese-made shoes just don't follow American sizing anymore. You have to try them on to be sure. I haven't seen a Chinese shoe built on a combination last . . . ever. Yet the few remaining quality US manufacturers still understand that most of us have a narrower heel compared to the measurement across the ball.

Milk delivery in glass bottles was the best. Anyone else still shake the bottle or carton to mix the non-existent cream in? I guess old habits never do die.

We had the world's best milk man. He drove a 1948 GMC milk truck well into the 1980's when he retired. When the snow got too deep to drive up our street, he waded through it and delivered a bottle of milk to every house that needed one. After my mom passed away Dad gave him a key to the back door, and he delivered milk to our fridge.

Yes, it was a different time, and yes I am older than dirt, but I still have fond memories of Bob Casey the milk man.

Another question for the quiz---who remembers TVs before the days of UHF? Our old tube-powered Zenith didn't have UHF. We only got it when I was 3 years old, when my folks bought a small black and white MGA television. Didn't get color until around 1973.

Another question for the quiz---who remembers TVs before the days of UHF? Our old tube-powered Zenith didn't have UHF. We only got it when I was 3 years old, when my folks bought a small black and white MGA television. Didn't get color until around 1973.

Yeah, we had a B&W console-type TV, probably about a 17-inch screen....In the NYC area, channel selection was 2 (CBS), 4 (NBC) 5 (what would later become Fox), 7 (ABC), 9 (WOR-TV independent), 11 (WPIX-TV independent), and 13, which became the PBS/Educational channel. When UHF came around (late `60s ?) it supported 2 Spanish stations, that was about it....

Yeah, we had a B&W console-type TV, probably about a 17-inch screen....In the NYC area, channel selection was 2 (CBS), 4 (NBC) 5 (what would later become Fox), 7 (ABC), 9 (WOR-TV independent), 11 (WPIX-TV independent), and 13, which became the PBS/Educational channel. When UHF came around (late `60s ?) it supported 2 Spanish stations, that was about it....
Similar channels here--CBS 2, NBC 4, ABC 7. We had channel 9 from Windsor. My grandfather had a good rooftop antenna and could always get 11 (CBS) and 13 (NBC) from Toledo, OH.

When we finally got UHF, the tuner was continuous--it did not have detents to select a channel. Back then, I seem to recall we only had three independent stations--20, 50 (which had all those great syndicated reruns) and 56 (PBS). Maybe 62, which is now our CBS affiliate (since Ch 2 changed to Fox).

Channel 20 (WXON at the time) was notorious locally for carrying that scrambled OnTV subscription channel, from 8pm onward. For $50, hobbyists could go to the local electronics shop and buy a brown paper bag with a kit inside which would help tune it in. ;)

Funny the things that stick in your memory....I still remember, plain as day, that early-am jingling sound of the glass milk bottles in their wire crates as the milkman made his deliveries....

Back
Top Bottom