The Onkyo TX-8xx Series

Hi, I'm from Russia, so I write through the translator.

In your description of the Onkyo TX 830 does not look right.
I have a Onkyo TX is 830 bar, and I photographed him.
3aa040a42b16.jpg

6050e908f496.jpg

3ad9076d4343.jpg

about prices in Russia. I bought it for $ 160, unfortunately the price of high technology, as you have to pay more for shipping from overseas, plus pay for a mediator.
What else noticed. Onkyo TX 830 is very similar to the model Onkyo TX 7630

Last edited:
First post on AK.

I just acquired a TX-844 the other day and it has brought back some of the feeling of being 16 all over again. I got a TX-800 for a Christmas present that year and it was still to this day one of the best receivers I have had.

I have mated the TX-844 with a pair of JBL Century 88's and a pair Polk Studio 7's and I am amazed at how well this unit performs.

This receiver just replaced a 100 wpc JVC Pro Logic receiver I was only using for stereo sound anyway. The TX-844 has made me realize what I have been missing for so long.

My only thing I am missing is the remote. I hunger to watch that glorious volume control knob turn by the magic of IR. My poor little $8 G.E. remote just doesn't have the codes to operate the volume properly so it's off to the land of Google shopping to get a factory remote on the cheap soon.

Hello everyone I am new here... I am an stereo lover I like taking them apart and tinkering with them. I usually find ones that have problems or ones broken and try to fix them. I see the beginning of this forum is about the onkyo receiver's models tx. I ha e one that she don't have listed, I have the tx-88 it's an integra computer controlled.
Revive an old thread. I've got a onkyo/integra tx 88 circa 1988 l believe. 80 watts per at 0.025. I love it very nice sound and plenty of power. The thing that always puzzled me is that it has two transformers, one large one small. They claim the small one is used to smooth out "transient" response. Whatever that means, sounds good. I wonder if it actually serves a real purpose or if other onkyo receivers used this also.:confused:

Sent from my LG-P505 using Tapatalk
I believe I have the same unit and I'm pretty mad bc it turns on but I'm not getting any sound from it and I have everything hooked up correctly

Attachments

• 1460403705264228718226.jpg
    1460403705264228718226.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 40
Picked up a TX-844 in great shape for next to nothing at a yard sale recently. No remote, unfortunately, but it does sound very good driving a pair of 4-ohm ADS L200C speakers in the basement.

I have a TX810 and an 870 Integra. They are well built, nice sounding receivers. My only gripe with Onkyo receivers of this vintage has been with FM tuner performance. They are a bit finicky, for all of their "automatic" gadgetry and lights. I have really tried almost everything, and am thinking about going back to old school basic dipoles, just to see if less is more.

My dad bought a TX-800 brand new back in 92 to power some Bose 901's and that receiver had plenty of power and sounded good when I used to crank up the jams for house parties. I took it over to use as my test receiver and had to replace 2 main caps but ended up selling it because I have way too much vintage stuff laying around. I didn't know it was decent until I recently got the vintage audio bug and got into records. The made in Japan label = quality.

Hey all, I own a TX-844 my father bought when I was a boy, 8 maybe? I'm 36 now and through the years i've purchased many mid/high end surround receivers from marantz / yamaha / onkyo but have never found them to be appealing in 2 channel mode nearly as much as this 844 i've brought everywhere.

I have purchased a new house and I continue to use it in my living room for 2ch music but with a 18x8x20' footprint i have noticed that it doesn't play loud enough and beyond ~40% volume it begins to distort. Should I disassemble and inspect the caps?

Last edited:
Hey all, I own a TX-844 my father bought when I was a boy, 8 maybe? I'm 36 now and through the years i've purchased many mid/high end surround receivers from marantz / yamaha / onkyo but have never found them to be appealing in 2 channel mode nearly as much as this 844 i've brought everywhere.

I have purchased a new house and I continue to use it in my living room for 2ch music but with a 18x8x20' footprint i have noticed that it doesn't play loud enough and beyond ~40% volume it begins to distort. Should I disassemble and inspect the caps?
New caps aren't going to necessarily reduce or eliminate distortion. They aren't a "magic bullet" for curing problems.

What are you using for speakers?

currently JBL bookshelfs with 8" woofers, the behavior occurs on most all speakers Ive used with it. I do run the loudness at full and bass just over center, treble about 9/10ths clockwise, I like warm sound. I may just be asking too much from the output.

Hello
I have had my Onkyo TX-844 for almost 25 years. I love it.

Recently I thought of buying a new Receiver and I was (surprisingly) encouraged by the salesman at the shop to do so.

Then I discovered this thread and suddenly I have second (and third) thoughts,although I am not a vintage stereo fan.

Is it really such a good piece? What do you think is the equivalent in quality that will be worse buying, if at all?

Thanks.

Hello
I have had my Onkyo TX-844 for almost 25 years. I love it.

Recently I thought of buying a new Receiver and I was (surprisingly) encouraged by the salesman at the shop to do so.

Then I discovered this thread and suddenly I have second (and third) thoughts,although I am not a vintage stereo fan.

Is it really such a good piece? What do you think is the equivalent in quality that will be worse buying, if at all?

Thanks.
He is encouraging you to do so not because what you have is "bad", so much as he doesn't make a sale if you decide to keep an "old" receiver. To stereo salespeople, anything older than 2 years is "vintage". Open up your Onkyo, then look at the 25 channel crap that is being peddled today as "receivers". The heat sinks and power supply capacitor size difference alone will put you into shock. -A

Hi all, new to posting, but I used this forum heavily when searching for new components so I thought I'd sign up.

I have a tx-830 powering HPM-100s and a pro-ject debut carbon tt. I got the tx-830 in a deal with the HPM-100s, thinking it'd be a placeholder that I would upgrade at some point, but I've been very pleased with the sound so far. The HPMs can take a lot of power, but the Onkyo does well. I haven't dared turning up the volume past level 8 out of 40 - that's enough to shake the walls and terrify the neighbors. I usually listen to classical, rock, and some ambient at around volume level 4 or 6 out of 40 and the receiver powers a full and crisp soundstage that feels like it inhabits the room. Vocals sound like the singer is in the room. The bass is full and nuanced.

This is my first remotely decent stereo setup I've ever had and it blows any other listening experience out of the water. I may some day upgrade the tx-830 to a marantz or sansui, but I would be surprised if they could improve very much on what the Onkyo brings. I certainly don't need more power... though I guess I'm tempted to take the HPMs for a ride at full throttle to see what they can do. Will just have to wait til I know my neighbors are away.

Anyway, thanks for all the informative posts from everyone.

Hi all, new to posting, but I used this forum heavily when searching for new components so I thought I'd sign up.

I have a tx-830 powering HPM-100s and a pro-ject debut carbon tt. I got the tx-830 in a deal with the HPM-100s, thinking it'd be a placeholder that I would upgrade at some point, but I've been very pleased with the sound so far. The HPMs can take a lot of power, but the Onkyo does well. I haven't dared turning up the volume past level 8 out of 40 - that's enough to shake the walls and terrify the neighbors. I usually listen to classical, rock, and some ambient at around volume level 4 or 6 out of 40 and the receiver powers a full and crisp soundstage that feels like it inhabits the room. Vocals sound like the singer is in the room. The bass is full and nuanced.

This is my first remotely decent stereo setup I've ever had and it blows any other listening experience out of the water. I may some day upgrade the tx-830 to a marantz or sansui, but I would be surprised if they could improve very much on what the Onkyo brings. I certainly don't need more power... though I guess I'm tempted to take the HPMs for a ride at full throttle to see what they can do. Will just have to wait til I know my neighbors are away.

Anyway, thanks for all the informative posts from everyone.
Onkyo receivers have a nice, tube-like sound. I am not sure how going to another brand necessarily represents an "upgrade". Resist the urge to acquire gear, and grow to appreciate what you have.

Onkyo receivers have a nice, tube-like sound. I am not sure how going to another brand necessarily represents an "upgrade". Resist the urge to acquire gear, and grow to appreciate what you have.

Yes, thanks - that's good advice. At some point I plan to get a Sansui 8080 or 7070, but I'm not in any rush.

I had a TX-810 in my twenties. It had overall good sound but like others I found the power output a bit on the weak side. Well-made though (for the eighties).

When I was a baby in the late 80's my dad worked at circuit city and he bought a whole set up, which includes. A TX 8210 and pair of big JBLs. I've kept them my whole life and they've been wonderful.
Great strong sound, and completely reliable... until I recently moved and both of the L channels no longer put anything out.

Hello @Arthur Smith, where are some good places to look for information on attempting a repair?

Back
Top Bottom