The Orville

qdrone

Music is my mistress
Well I really enjoyed the pilot episode,Seth MacFarlane took great care to blend the right amount of humour and action without ruining the Star Trek franchise that this show draws from.
I think he has a hit on his hands.

I was surprised it didn't have more "MacFarlane" slapstick, you're correct the blend was pretty darn good.

Busy Sunday, but I set the TIVO (DVR) and we'll check it tonight! Thanks!

Frankly, I expected more with Seth McFarland and Jon Favreau involved in this. SFX were great but it reminded me a bit too much of ST:TNG. Some of the characters acted and sounded exactly the same. There were some unique characters though. It didn't impress me so far. It did have a few flashes of humor though. I'll give it some time to develop before condemning it.

I also felt it came across as more than "inspired by" the ST franchise. However, I also see potential.

A good start with very nice SFX. However, the Krill can't shoot worth a damn. They needed to take down a few red shirts!

A good start with very nice SFX. However, the Krill can't shoot worth a damn. They needed to take down a few red shirts!
True - you'd think the technology would include self aiming gunnery.
Some of it was pathetic, of course the sarcasm is always appreciated.

Frankly, I expected more with Seth McFarland and Jon Favreau involved in this. SFX were great but it reminded me a bit too much of ST:TNG. Some of the characters acted and sounded exactly the same. There were some unique characters though. It didn't impress me so far. It did have a few flashes of humor though. I'll give it some time to develop before condemning it.
I think that was the idea,it's a parody.

Pretty decent, but so are many pilots for series that go straight downhill. We'll see where they take it.

If you watched the "upcoming episodes" after it was finished, it almost looks like it get's pretty serious!

I think I'll like it. The story was decent, and the cast looks the part, and while I know Seth McFarland is a very talented guy, I just don't want it to get too stupid. For me, a little McFarland can go a long way. It wouldn't take much to push it over the edge.

Also, I hope it doesn't try to mimic Trek or Galaxy Quest too much or too often. I think it would fair much better, and build an audience, if it tries to carve out it's own niche, by being unique. It has potential. I hope the show doesn't fade into what's easy, and not push for better.

For now, a tentative thumbs up...! :thumbsup:

Blue stains on the lampshade :rflmao:

Its kinda funny. I'll give it a few more episodes.
We played it from TIVO last night ...
That whole "surprise" in the sheets - was unexpectedly hilarious.
The music is way toooo close to Star Trek musical cues ...
not bad, just ... how can they get away with it?
We'll keep watching and see how it goes - could be fun!
(Certainly a lot worse stuff on TV).

I thought the first one was meh, but the second episode was decent. I'll watch it on Thursdays for now, but when TBBT moves back to Thursday...:dunno:

I thought the first one was meh, but the second episode was decent.
E2 was actually quite intriguing and made me chuckle out loud several times. It has big budget cosmetics and big budget cameos
(J. Tambor as dad and the colon bit was great)
but unlike many that rely solely on this type of $plash, Orville shores up the flash up with decent writing; that it's peppered with classic MacFarlane panache is a big bonus.

I'm all in for the foreseeable future.

Back
Top Bottom