The Pickoid home stereo

Pickoid

Tired
A few shots of my home stereo. It's in way too small of a room, but I make do with the space I have. This is the only room in the house that still has the original early 70's wood paneling. I like it that way.

Components:

Technics SL-1200 Mk5 with Ortofon 2M Blue
Sony SCD-CE775 CD/SACD changer
Musical Fidelity V-DAC
Yamaha C-60 preamp
Yamaha TX-930 tuner
Kenwood GE-7030 EQ (primarily in the system for bouncy lights, and the occasional tweakage)
Yamaha M-70 amp
Polk Audio RTA-11 speakers
Grado SR-60 headphones
Sennheiser HD-280 headphones

You can tell I was listening to some modern "loud" CD when I took the photos, because all the bars in the spectrum analyzer are pegged. :nono:

My huge and hideous rotating CD rack is shown in the pictures. I got it from a library supply place online. It holds about 1,500 CDs in a fairly compact format. It's not full, but I'm working on it...

I also have a shelf that I picked up at Target for LP storage. It's very similar to an Ikea Expedit, 3x2 cube format. It is NOT the cheap ones they sell, this one is much better looking and more substantial. Didn't take a picture of that because it still needs organizing.

Attachments

• overview.jpg
    overview.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 179
  • top_rack.jpg
    top_rack.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 125
  • SL-1200.jpg
    SL-1200.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 118
  • cd_preamp.jpg
    cd_preamp.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 107
  • tuner_EQ.jpg
    tuner_EQ.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Kenwood_EQ.jpg
    Kenwood_EQ.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 96
Nice gear. Comfy room. Good tunes. Great brew. Sweet leaf.

Sorry, 70s flashbacks caused by paneling.....

I suppose I should have taken some photos of the Beatles, John Denver (be nice please), and Gordon Lightfoot posters on the wall to complete the effect.

I like the "His'n Her's" headphones!

Hah! My "her" has no interest in those headphones, or anything else in these photos.

Actually, I prefer listening to the Grados, but I do a little messing around with home recording (acoustic guitar mostly) and I needed some sealed cans to prevent leakage from the headphones from interfering with the recording. That's my justification for having the Sennheisers.

The headphones are on banana hangers, BTW. :music:

I was just going to ask which banana hangers those are? I'm looking to do pretty much exactly what you've done! 2 pair of headphones sitting atop each of my speakers.

I was just going to ask which banana hangers those are? I'm looking to do pretty much exactly what you've done! 2 pair of headphones sitting atop each of my speakers.

I ordered them from Amazon. They have many different designs of banana hangers, and most all look like they would work for headphones. These have a "walnut" base, and I think they were around $16 each. I have one at work with a black wood base, same design, for $11. These are nice, full felt padding under the base. I hit the wood base with a little Howards Feed n Wax and they look very good.

Nice system. Love the CD rack. I wouldn't call it hideous. It is just what I have been looking for.

Very nice system. I know about too much sound in a small space. I remember when I was looking at some Altec Magnificents back in the sixties, a salesman told me they would "sound good in a phone booth." He was probably right.

Back
Top Bottom