The plan - make the nicest AU-9500 I can!

I've turned new pilot light lenses from scrap plastic from a junk store. It could be done on a drill press with a file I think.
Good topic. I have both of these models and the 9500 is my favorite.

It's Sansui integrated amp time around here.
Earlier in the month I restored and upgraded a sweet AU-999 - all the great mods from the AK Sansui Gurus.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/knock-knock-its-my-ntm-au-999.701143/

Then, at our New England get-together this past weekend there was a pretty AU-9500 that was calling out to me - another beauty for the stable.

I also picked up a nice TU-517 tuner that I recapped and will tie into what ever system I end up with here.

All the parts are in - here's my game plan for the AU-9500:

Complete recap - including doubling the size of the main power supply caps.
Rebuild the phono preamp board with 1% metal film caps. Replacing the carbon 10% resistors should make for a quieter and more accurate phono stage.
Refresh the thermal grease on the output transistors.

Here's a common problem - the lens (or jewel) at the power indicator light is gone.
I was thinking of enlarging the hole and mounting an appropriate LED - but once you drill the faceplate, no matter how nice it looks it's been butchered.
Solution is a 1/8" light pipe lens from Mouser.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bivar/PLP1-625/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuu2qEGwSNRoI7NaoVtmgDBGQrRHsadHNQ=

When I removed the faceplate I found the back part of the original lens with the mounting clip - which I'll use with a dab of silicon RTV to secure it.

More pictures to follow.
I was just wondering what the benefit would be in doubling the size of the main power caps?

I was just wondering what the benefit would be in doubling the size of the main power caps?

You achieve just a little less power rail 'sag' when the amplifier is working hard. The spin-off benefit is that your new capacitors may fit in the old clamps, new capacitor sizes having reduced quite a lot compared to the old ones. A downside is that the increased charging current for the larger capacitors can wear out the power switch much faster. Less so on amplifiers with 'soft start' circuitry - however there are work arounds for this.

Last edited:
+1 - yes worrisome indeed :biggrin:

Thanks for comparing the two. Always been curious about that. The 9500 seems to always get high marks for low end, but some find it lacking in top end detail, with the 999 it seems like the other way around.

I know it's an old post but I have the same problem. Then came the possibility of buying a Kenwood Ka 2002 that has a very similar finish, see:
Screenshot_20180806-125222_eBay.jpg

Back
Top Bottom