The REAL problem I have with Beats Headphones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Audiophiles are so bossy. :) Let the kids buy what they like. Who cares if you think it sounds bad. It's not for you to use.

Not another bullshit Beats bashing thread. For the love of all things can you all just shut the **** up about them? If your arent buying them, ignore them. You know what I hate? Middle aged men bitching and moaning about the choices of a younger generation, especially middle aged men who have proven over and over to have their own audio biases for gear that has built in loudness, just like these kids.

How about members of the younger generation bitching about the choices of their own generation? ;)

Beats are for more than music, they are a fashion item. Personally, I never saw the point of trying to stand out by doing what everyone else was doing.

Demoed the beats once, just because. Found out that BOSE headphones sound better...

perhaps the real lesson here is....

Why do so many audio companies other than bose suck at marketing!?!!

Since getting into speakers I can't stop hearing all these names of companies with 0 exposure outside the audiophile circle jerk.

A low profile is ok in B2B but in B2C???!

Take for instance the sonos....those new commercials are awesome.

If anything the beats are a good thing since it introduces people to nicer audio....it's 1 million times better than those default white earbuds everybody rocked. Upgraditis is around the corner...I doubt they'll go back to the white ear buds.

Bose and Beats merely did the same as apple did with the ipod slap good marketing and let their competitors be obscure(cowon, creative).

Also the style of beats is pretty nice.....if your gonna get over the ear they better look good.

As for crosley....I suppose they merely moved in on a market niche no one was exploiting. There are new TT being made but they were mostly aimed at Djs(and expensive...even used) or the high end audiophile(even more expensive!).

I haven't head the Beats but maybe they sound good on the type of music people are looking to listen to them with?

I have a pair of Sony MDR-7506's and although lots of audiophile folks love them I think they are kinda crappy for hip hop. They sound very sterile. Hip Hop is supposed to sound boomy and in you face alive.

I may have said it in this thread or elsewhere, but the main thing with Beats and Bose is that they are in stores. As much as people shop online and research online the bottom line is many people still shop in stores, or at least audition products in stores. Kids know the Ipod headphones stink and want something better which is why they move on to Skullcandy, Bose and Beats. Maybe if "better" brands got themselves into stores and marketed towards kids they would know the difference.

As for so many Beats being sold second hand, it could be because kids don't like them but I would tend to think it is also because our economy stinks and people are broke. Need a few hundred bucks real quick and its "hmmm, what can i sell? I bet i can get money for my Beats real quick, they sound better than my Ipod headphones but I need money."

My friend has a pair, maybe I should ask him if i can listen to them and see....

Last edited:
While you are compelled to use your avatar to tell us how important Mercedes cars are to you. Imagining how cool you are?

Wheelz by Karl Benz.

haha i think the same stuff when I see someone in a new Mercedes, usually broken down already!

As much as I appreciate the feeble attempt to try and correlate my Mercedes avatar picture with my view on beats headphones, none of your comments make very much sense on any level.

Its rather naive if you think that ALL who drive a Mercedes, BMW, Lexus etc do it for the same reason kids buy Dr dre headphones and Air Jordans.

Yea, there are people out there who buy cars for the badge on the grill.
And then there are people who buy them because they enjoy the engineering and design that a particular vehicle offers.

Its called having good taste and knowing quality when you see it.

Anybody know where I can get Beats by Dog?

hello-yes-this-is-dog.png

horatio460.jpg

Audiophiles are so bossy. :) Let the kids buy what they like. Who cares if you think it sounds bad. It's not for you to use.

As a high school teacher, I've started a bit of an anti-beats revolution at my school, although not intentionally. They just see me listening to my headphones during my planning period or during lunch and ask about them. Inevitably, they want to try them out, and afterwards they are never able to look at their headphones in the same light. :music:

As a high school teacher, I've started a bit of an anti-beats revolution at my school, although not intentionally. They just see me listening to my headphones during my planning period or during lunch and ask about them. Inevitably, they want to try them out, and afterwards they are never able to look at their headphones in the same light. :music:

Your in the perfect position to let the kids listen to a quality sounding Headphone.
I know that EVERYTIME I let one of My kid's friends that have Beats, listen to My Senns or My Sonys...I end up with a converted soul.
I always let em plug in to THEIR Ipod, Tablet or source of music output, and listen to THEIR kind of Music.
A Totally fair and even comparison...They mostly say things like.
"WOW, I'm selling these Beats to my Friend, Cousin, Etc, And get some of those Senns or Sonys.

Your in the perfect position to let the kids listen to a quality sounding Headphone.
I know that EVERYTIME I let one of My kid's friends that have Beats, listen to My Senns or My Sonys...I end up with a converted soul.
I always let em plug in to THEIR Ipod, Tablet or source of music output, and listen to THEIR kind of Music.
A Totally fair and even comparison...They mostly say things like.
"WOW, I'm selling these Beats to my Friend, Cousin, Etc, And get some of those Senns or Sonys.

Which reenforces the idea that kids ARE after quality, they just don't know where to find it.

I used to do advertising for Sony, I'm not surprised nobody knows of their quality. Disfunctional company if there ever was one. If they have a great headphone they'd want to advertise that you could plug it into a walkman, instead of anything about how it actually sounds. "But we want people to buy both!" and instead, they buy neither. Instead of bashing how Beats sells headphones, others should do the same thing but with a better product.

As much as I appreciate the feeble attempt to try and correlate my Mercedes avatar picture with my view on beats headphones, none of your comments make very much sense on any level.

Its rather naive if you think that ALL who drive a Mercedes, BMW, Lexus etc do it for the same reason kids buy Dr dre headphones and Air Jordans.

Yea, there are people out there who buy cars for the badge on the grill.
And then there are people who buy them because they enjoy the engineering and design that a particular vehicle offers.

Its called having good taste and knowing quality when you see it.

^ This!!

Which reenforces the idea that kids ARE after quality, they just don't know where to find it.

I used to do advertising for Sony, I'm not surprised nobody knows of their quality. Disfunctional company if there ever was one. If they have a great headphone they'd want to advertise that you could plug it into a walkman, instead of anything about how it actually sounds. "But we want people to buy both!" and instead, they buy neither. Instead of bashing how Beats sells headphones, others should do the same thing but with a better product.

Could be worse. I knew a Panasonic dealer who said Panasonic's motto was "If it's selling well, discontinue it."

As for the thread at hand, it's supply, demand and marketing. See Air Jordans vs a pair of Chuck Taylors vs a generic pair of New Balance sneakers. All different price points and appeal to different people.

I haven't heard a set of Beats but I'm sure many people would turn their noses up at my Monoprice headphones but for me, they are just dandy. :) Though I did only pay $20 for them, vs $200 that the Beats go for ...

I've been gone from this site for a while. I'm surprised at some of the downright ill-tempered comments in this thread (hey....I learned my lesson real quick not to blatantly spill my opinions).

But about these so called BEATS. While I have no problem with whom ever wants to buy these (when you could easily buy Senn's or Audio Techs), I DO have a problem with them implemented in devices like phones and laptops. Some may buy products because of brands (Leica, Prada, Apple), but I tend to find myself steering from devices that have promote certain brands (like Apple products).

I can choose not to buy these products, but when they integrate them into laptops (Beats) or cars (Bose), that's not really my choice anymore (besides the moot point in not buying that specific laptop). I've seen phones that have this....DTS mobile on smart phones (couldn't tell you how that's going to improve the sound). I wouldn't brag about having Harmon/Kardon for speakers on a laptop either (or JBL).

Apparently, we have another contender (maybe two). I guess Luda-Christ has some HP's called "Soul". Should have figured 50-cent piece has one too: "Sync". But I'm sure that if they made band branded HPs from rock bands, metal-heads would buy them too.

Of course, I'd buy the rock band HPs for collector items (Allen Parson's Project: "Eye-Skies", or Van Der Graaf Generator: "K.I.M.E.'s" = Killer inside my ears, or "Man-Ear-go by Proxy")

Last edited:
I got a pair of Beats Executive headphones for Christmas and have been listening to them for the last few days. They're built like a tank, no quality issues. I think they sound very nice, especially the noise cancelling feature which is perfect for me with a house full of kids.

I seem to remember the same points being made about Beats as were made about Sony gear in the '80's. Too high priced and the fashionable were only buying the nameplate. It was probably true, but now 20 or so years later, many are appreciating the high-end Sonys as good performers, including myself. Better I know, to buy used gear for pennies on the dollar, but I suspect in a couple of decades the Beats headphones might be popular as vintage. Our kids will be saying these are the good old days, just as we do about ours.

My only question is, who the %$#@^* is Dr Dre?

;-)

I've been gone from this site for a while. I'm surprised at some of the downright ill-tempered comments in this thread (hey....I learned my lesson real quick not to blatantly spill my opinions).

But about these so called BEATS. While I have no problem with whom ever wants to buy these (when you could easily buy Senn's or Audio Techs), I DO have a problem with them implemented in devices like phones and laptops. Some may buy products because of brands (Leica, Prada, Apple), but I tend to find myself steering from devices that have promote certain brands (like Apple products).

I can choose not to buy these products, but when they integrate them into laptops (Beats) or cars (Bose), that's not really my choice anymore (besides the moot point in not buying that specific laptop). I've seen phones that have this....DTS mobile on smart phones (couldn't tell you how that's going to improve the sound). I wouldn't brag about having Harmon/Kardon for speakers on a laptop either (or JBL).

Apparently, we have another contender (maybe two). I guess Luda-Christ has some HP's called "Soul". Should have figured 50-cent piece has one too: "Sync". But I'm sure that if they made band branded HPs from rock bands, metal-heads would buy them too.

Of course, I'd buy the rock band HPs for collector items (Allen Parson's Project: "Eye-Skies", or Van Der Graaf Generator: "K.I.M.E.'s" = Killer inside my ears, or "Man-Ear-go by Proxy")

And I can dig that.
Only thing is that...Beats Tech has been incorporated into the New Chrysler 300.
IT SOUNDS GREAT!...a lot better than the Heaphones.
I was thinking Maybe beats should give up the headphones and stick to Cars...While Bose give up the Cars and stick with Headphones.
LOL!

Some may buy products because of brands (Leica, Prada, Apple), but I tend to find myself steering from devices that have promote certain brands (like Apple products).

I see that you have a Canon in your avatar. As such, I am surprised to see you compare Leica to either Prada or Apple. Leica makes the best lenses in the 35mm format, and that is not just a ridiculous claim but something they can actually back up with real measurements.

I am legitimately curious what lens you would suggest to best a 50cronAA at that focal length. The only lens I've seen measure better than the 50 Lux ASPH in the normalish range which the former destroys is the Coastal Optics 60/4.

What claim to a best in world product do either Prada or Apple have, exactly? Leica may have an air of man jewelry, or even worse just rich d-bag syndrome, but at least they can back it up.

If you want to pick on a company I suggest Gibson guitar before the custom shop had a plekking machine. I'd never seen a >2 grand guitar with awful frets before I played my first R9. Of course machines ameliorate all problems and even that has changed.

Don't let the ill-tempered immature posters keep you from posting your thoughts .

I see that you have a Canon in your avatar. As such, I am surprised to see you compare Leica to either Prada or Apple. Leica makes the best lenses in the 35mm format, and that is not just a ridiculous claim but something they can actually back up with real measurements.

I am legitimately curious what lens you would suggest to best a 50cronAA at that focal length. The only lens I've seen measure better than the 50 Lux ASPH in the normalish range which the former destroys is the Coastal Optics 60/4.

What claim to a best in world product do either Prada or Apple have, exactly? Leica may have an air of man jewelry, or even worse just rich d-bag syndrome, but at least they can back it up.

If you want to pick on a company I suggest Gibson guitar before the custom shop had a plekking machine. I'd never seen a >2 grand guitar with awful frets before I played my first R9. Of course machines ameliorate all problems and even that has changed.

That avatar represents more of my passion for photography. While I have a Canon 7D and a NEX-5R, I'm not an exclusive Canon fan (if I were, then I'd just use the Canon logo instead of my Canon A-1 specifically). You can make great photos with any brand. And you can make terrible photos with any brand, including Leica.

I used Leica as an example because most photographers see Leica as the "One to rule over them all". I don't question Leica's quality, but I do question paying that kind of money for lenses and bodies when they aren't exponentially superior than other brand lenses (yeah, maybe a little sharper than Canon/Pentax/Zeiss brand, but not $3,000 worth difference).Same with Prada and Apple. You pay a lot more for small gains compared to what other products are out for which are far less in price.

The whole point of my comment was illustrate that I'm fine with YOU spending money on whatever YOU want. I'm not too thrilled about someone forcing ME to buy products that are "tagged on" to a bigger product I wanted to buy (like BOSE in a car).

Which reminds me: my coworker had a McIntosh sound system in her (well, husband's) Suburu Outback. The same McIntosh brand that some of you may have in your house. Problem is, this wasn't a genuine McIntosh sound system. Delphine owns the name and just put McIntosh over their Delphine sound system. Did they charge a small premium for that Mc system? I don't know actually.

But remember how Panasonic had their Lumix DMC-LX2 P&S camera that is the SAME as the Leica D-LUX3? Same RAW output, and you do pay a premium for a different body and red tag. Same with the Panasonic FZ50 and Leica's LX2. You can't change lenses on those, RedisBurning. So tell me again how Leica can back up THAT claim. I wouldn't blame Leica so much as Panasonic for begging Leica rebrand their camera. It is, after all, all about the money.

I couldn't ever play the guitar, so I wouldn't know about the fake quality in some guitars. I do know that I'm a middle class person, so I can afford things that are cost effective. I don't have the money to buy the "best" with marginal increase in performance and a lot more in cosmetics. I still have to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom