The Realistic MC-1000...

janikphoto

Lunatic Member
I see them all the time. Today, I saw a really clean pair. They sounded nice. And, they look like they'd be a great candidate to hotrod... maybe new tweeters and crossover, or maybe all new components?!? The cabs are heavy and solid for their size, and the basic style is pleasant on the yes. So, who uses a pair and who has modified them?

They were my very first stereo speakers when I was a kid, great sound as I remember. I think they have a 3 uf capacitor for the tweeter and nothing else. The RCA jack needs to be plugged when not in use or it will be a leak and hurt the bass a little. Good solid cabinets, drivers were so so, sounded good for their size.

Unless you're absolutely obsessed with keeping your original MC-1000's all original (um, oh wait, that's me, erm), an Indignia re-do would probably get you a pretty nice result.

And, I followed BmWr75 and made my Indignia's from MC-1000's, as well. Highly recommended. Here's my thread on the subject:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=398876

I'm going to convert a second pair one of these days. Here's both of them together:

20120303-52202pairsofRealisticMC-100speakers2.jpg

Congrats Blast!! Don't think I had seen pics before. These MC-1000 Indignias sound way better than they have any right too.

Hey, thanks guys! The pair that I built are serial numbered 77 and 78.

Yes, Scott, they DO sound great. As I compare the original MC-1000's to the Indignia's I note that the MC-1000's were much more efficient... but, it was mainly in the mid range area. The least amount of difference between the two is in the upper end (the MC-1000 tweeters are actually not all that bad, it seems to be either the woofer, or the woofer-to-cabinet design, that is the weak link here). Converting the MC-1000's to Indignia's effectively tamed the peaky mid range and brought the lower bass up to a level that the MC-1000's could never achieve without substantial equalization.

Keep in mind I prefer hard rock/classic metal music, but the overall sound of the Indignia's, relative to the MC-1000's, is much more balanced and certainly less annoying to listen to. While the Indignia's are not highly efficient large room filling bass pounders (I have other speaker that fit that bill), they are ideal for "near field" type use and are easy to listen to over long periods of time. In comparison I believe the bass will make you will think the Indignia's are installed in larger cabinets than the MC-1000's. You might think you've now got closer to a 1 cu ft box. :) My Pioneer SX-750 at about 50w/ch is well matched in terms of power output for the Indignia's in MC-1000 boxes.

The only question remains... when are you guys going to experience these and convert a pair for yourselves? :dunno:

Back
Top Bottom