The reason you got into vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Forums' started by Ethan25, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Ethan25

Ethan25 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I don't know that there is a thread around here for it. I know all of us likely got into it for the "music", but what about it made you drop major bucks/time into vinyl? Was it the retro-look? You came into it because you inherited a collection/turntable? Did you come into a cool turntable for cheap at a flea market and it was all downhill? Share your stories here. I'll start!

2. Ethan25

Ethan25 AK Subscriber Subscriber

so, 1999 was a big year for me - leaving home for college and going off to school. This album, The Man Who by Travis got me through that first year and through subsequent years. I followed the band closely over the next 15 years, grabbing B-side releases and everything that I could from the band. I was excited to get every CD I could get my hands on. Then while looking for CDs, I came across a vinyl copy of The Man Who on ebay for $200. I couldn't believe it! How could anyone spend that much money for an LP?! So, the hunt was on to find one cheap, so I could have a $200 album for not much.

Well, that never happened. I looked for the last 8 years since I started my vinyl collection. I am up to about 350 albums now, and just today was shipped this. It isn;t the original, but Travis released the album in a boxed set, and this was the result! Two LPs with the second full of B-sides that were not on the original album, two CDs including one that has 19 B-sides not released on the album, a signed picture of the band, and a picture book detailing the album's creation and the band's early years!! All for $55.00! (Limited to 1,000 boxed sets, and it sold out in a day!!)

fuzzywobbles likes this.
  3. meggy

meggy AK Subscriber Subscriber

My Dad owned a Nightclub in the 60's and our house was always full of the latest 45's and 33's. He'd have to be "up" on the latest sounds then go find bands in LA to play in Phoenix. The weird shit that went on in our lives was definetly the most memorable part of my life, but that's 100 other different stories.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  4. mkane

mkane AK Subscriber Subscriber

As of late I had albums that were not played since when I got married, 1980. It was about time and I found AK, some 5000 posts later, thanks everyone.

5. scuba

scuba My idea of spin class. Subscriber

Back in the olden days when I was a young nipper, vynil was all there was. 4 track cassettes were relatively new on the market and we didn’t have a player. I guess you could say I was born into it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017 at 12:29 PM
    rmoreau61, noisefreq, qdrone and 2 others like this.
  6. KeninDC

KeninDC Nanker Phelge Subscriber

My dad bought my sister and I a Philco all-in-one record player in the 70s. He had a Scott 299 that we would use when he left the house. He also had a hi-fi cassette player, but vinyl was the medium of choice.

qdrone, vonclod, freQ(*)Oddio and 3 others like this.
  7. ConradH

ConradH AK Subscriber Subscriber

That's all there was and I never left it.

SPL db, vonclod and freQ(*)Oddio like this.
  8. jcamero

jcamero If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind. Subscriber

Your question most likely is directed at the new vinyl listeners. But for me, it was just a natural progression. My parents had a console, spinning Boots Randolph, The Lettermen, Glen Campbell, Charlie Rich. Then my older sister took it over, playing the Beatles, Turtles, Gary Lewis, etc. By the time I got to the console, It was doa, and being used as a lamp, and what not stand. My parents replaced it with a Lloyds all in one, (with 8 track). I was listening to the Stones, Zep, ELO, but wanted better sound, as well as volume. I bought a Kenwood KR-3200 receiver, a BSR turntable, and a pair of Marantz speakers. I've been moving gear in and out for 40 years, and don't see it stopping anytime soon. As you can see in my signature, my current line up is about 5 years old. Ya got to keep in mind, no cell phones, Ipad/pods, tablet, Smart this or that, no Internet, cable was relatively new, we got a hold of each other by a land line phone, most likely rotary dial, and if you needed to get a hold of someone, you either called, or knocked on the person's door.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  9. 91r100gs

91r100gs Lunatic Member

Kept tripping over the two Peaches crates of records in the garage. About 40% were water damaged in the Midwest flood of 1993. Didn't live in KC then and they just got shoved in the corner, wet jacket and all. That's why many of my records that were salvageable are in generic white jackets. Many records were still in good shape because they were in genuine Radio Shack vinyl sleeves. Sink cleaned many others that molded. We'll not talk about all of the dishonest sellers and people who didn't have a clue how to ship a TT that I ran into along the way. I managed to find a lower end Technics Linear Track on the bay for $99 and that is where it restarted. I bought a Music Hall MMF 2.2 in 2012(?) and put the Technics in the bedroom for its auto shutoff feature. Bought my Traveler a couple years later on BT along with two carts. Sold the MMF to help pay for the Traveler. Have enjoyed the heck out of spinning my vinyl both old and new.

10. NeedForSpeed

NeedForSpeed Rock'n And Roll'n Night And Day Subscriber

Had a pretty substantial collection in the military days in the 80's. Started listening seriously again in late 90's, Mostly digital. Got back to vinyl for the sound, And artwork to be honest. Found most of my collection buried in my sister storage, Thinking it was gone. Having a blast

11. 55Redneck

55Redneck Canadian Redneck

I grew up with it and it just sounds better to me than digital.

12. judsonw

judsonw Active Member

My dad worked at Radio Shack in the the 80s (possibly late 70s, I am not sure when exactly that started as it was before my time). He had always been a big music fan and as I grew up, there was always a variety of music on the system. When I was old enough (probably like... 10 or so) he would have me help with wires whenever he got a new component or if we moved (or had the move the system when the house had about 20 inches of water flowing from the back to the front due to heavy rain).

When I got into high school, he gave me a hand-me-down system: a sony receiver (I cannot remember the make), Bose 3.1 from speakers and old beat up JBL bookshelf speakers as rears. I was kind of interested in vinyl as another medium, but then one day I got a package in the mail from Chicago (I think). I did not recognize the return address and inside was simply a 7 inch record with no notes. It was "Miniature Golf Courses of America Present Five Iron Frenzy". I asked my parents, my girlfriend, my friends... none of them ordered it for me and no one asked if I received anything. To this day I do not know why or how I got it.

Anyways, that resulted in my dad giving me an old Realistic Lab-395 for my room, and I eventually got his TEAC A-2300SD that he was going to get rid of.

Then I went to university and vinyl took a backseat until my last year when I had a housemate who had a turntable so I was able to start buying a couple albums.

Then I graduated and lived abroad for three years which stopped any vinyl collecting, but upon returning, I picked up the new hand-me-down receiver (a Yamaha RX-V2300) and the Realistic. Since then, my vinyl collection and stereo have grown fairly consistently as I appreciate the physical nature of it, both in regards to the needle being in the groove but also the handling of the vinyl.

vonclod likes this.
  13. fuzzywobbles

fuzzywobbles aka Po'k Chop Willie Subscriber

Found Discogs to start digitizing, cataloging, pricing and selling my old vinyl from back in the day. In the process I started listening to it and physically interacting with it on a little USB turntable I was using. Enjoyed it so much I pulled the plug on that whole idea.

From there I ripped out my entire surround sound system I had labored over for years, and sold it to finance improving on the old college days turntable, amp and speakers I had never gotten rid of. A few thousand LPs and who knows how many components later I am happier than I have been in a very long time with listening to music.

14. gizzyman47

gizzyman47 Super Member

Grew up with vinyl. Dabbled in 8 track:no:, cassette then left vinyl when CD came out. Finally returned to vinyl in about 1998 when I moved to Utah and discovered D.I. and thrift stores. I would spend a couple hours going through all the vinyl there. Now I don't look for used vinyl at thrifts as the picking and playable vinyl is not worth the time. I go to record stores to buy new or used vinyl now. Or order online. I rarely buy new cd's anymore. I prefer vinyl over anyother medium. I like the ritual and sound of playing records but I do like cd's also. I've never been a digital hater. Putting on a great sounding record just puts me in my happy place!:banana:

vonclod and darkblue94 like this.
  15. arts

arts Super Member

Grew up with vinyl.Can't stand the sound of digital. Stayed with vinyl because Zeppelin,Purple and the Allman Brothers wouldn't play (or fit) my livingroom.

likebike23 likes this.
  16. vonclod

vonclod AK Subscriber Subscriber

Got my first record player in the late 70s as a child, my parents had a hundred or so records, a neighbour gave me a bunch of Kiss records..between them I played the sh$t outta that record player. In the 90s got out of it but in the last 4 years or so back with a vengance, love the artwork of album covers..I can still read them as opposed to cd jackets..like the sound most importantly.

NeedForSpeed and 91r100gs like this.
  17. biscuithead

biscuithead Me likes the eargasm retroplasm... Subscriber

Digital is easy... don't like easy. Records are tactile, and require attention, that is attractive and they sound good.

Oh, I like to listen to other mediums when I'm feeling lazy...

vonclod likes this.
  18. Goofyfoot201

Goofyfoot201 New Member

Like i mentioned in my intro, I am fixing the speakers I've had since about 1978. They sounfed fantastic back then. Im listening to them now hooked to a modern onkyo and they sound buttery good. I ordered a Marantz 2226B off ebay that looks like it should be nice. So of course I have to get a turn table. I bought three albums today. Cant play em but sweet to just look at an album. That's what was so damn magical backnin the day, the wrapper the vinyl came in was a work of art sometimes.

19. freQ(*)Oddio

freQ(*)Oddio AK Subscriber Subscriber

I left the few records i had , and a old phillips table with a worn needle ,,,,in the late 80s for cd, if you remember the 80s , and if you were a poor teen. your chance of getting a new needle or parts, were slim, and if you did have $$ where would you go? i had a tiny radioshack about 15 miles away , that was it, no audio, no stylus, just what you had, swapping parts that didnt really fit or work like it should, just like we did with our old cars, and no parts stores, mini bikes with bad compression, forget fixing it back then where i grew up. So the cd player was consistent and the lazer idea was cool then, to talk about, and explain it to friends. About 15 years ago i realized the audio stores online were always showing carts and tables, i remebered a older friend of mine had the coolest looking kenwood table sitting around his house not in use , i had not seen in 20 years , i mentioned it to my girlfriend, she called and bought it , and it was sitting in my kitchen when i got home from work, with about 50 albums, that was my learning fun, getting all i could from that table , adjusting, modding listening to my favorite albums, album play is not certain, many variables,,,,, your individual /setup/cart/album choice/album cleaning is a crude and great ritual, to share with others also. havent counted my albums now but 12 large tubs at least, still going through them choosing the best condition and music i will listen to , a whole diff ritual. i enjoy switching to a cd from a clean album and thinking that a blind test could not say the cd was cleaner sounding. Thats a lot of work to get everything 100% , not 98% some dont like to mess with it that much, i understand , i just like to work on things, and compare ,I am in Vinyl heaven. Nothing like thinking" this is the best table setup i have ever had" then playing 20-30 albums in a night with friends on AK.

20. mhjmhjones

mhjmhjones Active Member

I collected records from 5th grade to 12th grade, which is what one did back then ('80-'87). Also got a Sony Walkman in 9th grade, so there was a period when I was seeking out cassettes. Once I hit college, the records all went to my mom's basement and I moved on to CDs and Grateful Dead live bootleg cassettes. Fast forward to about 2002 or '03 when vinyl was just starting to make a comeback and I dug the records out of mom's basement and sold the best records in lots on eBay. Bye bye to about 20 classic Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Clash, Police and Van Halen records! The only consolation is that all those records were played countless times on the equivalent of one of today's Crosley turntables. About 2010, I decided I should listen to my records again and added a TT to my decent stereo system. I didn't sell about half of my records and of all those maybe 4-5 are in my collection today (the rest were traded in for store credit at my local shop). I've replaced the Zep and Police but am still kicking myself over the Clash and Floyd.