The reason you got into vinyl

Started my vinyl collection in the early 70's, still have the old ones and lots added since then. I don't have many CDs in comparison but I find myself buying them instead of used records these days because of the cost difference. I have gotten some good deals on LPs here on BT and at AK gatherings. I need to get with the digital program & start building a lossless library someday.

Well I got back into vinyl about 2000 after being away for about 15 years. The reasons I came back were I found out they were making TT'S and records again. It's been a great ride every since

my dad and uncle were big record collectors, so I grew up always listening to records and going to record stores with them. I'm pretty lucky I was raised on Black Sabbath, King Crimson, MC5, etc.

I'm 40 now, but bought my first LP at 13: Black Flag's "My War". as much as I mainly collected tapes and CD's as a kid, I still bought records when I could. I started giving up on CD's in about 2000.

I don't know that there is a thread around here for it. I know all of us likely got into it for the "music", but what about it made you drop major bucks/time into vinyl? Was it the retro-look? You came into it because you inherited a collection/turntable? Did you come into a cool turntable for cheap at a flea market and it was all downhill? Share your stories here. I'll start!

As an older citizen, I grew up with "vinyl," or the LP, as I prefer to call it. I never really gave it up, even at the height of the CD revolution. For me, if an album was first issued on LP or primarily on LP, then it feels more authentic to own an LP copy. This would apply mainly to anything released prior to around, say, 1984. As I say, I continued to purchase LPs of new releases for many years thereafter, when I could find them. It became increasingly difficult, though not impossible, to buy a new release on LP in the 1990s, and so when I couldn't find an LP of a release I wanted, I bought it on CD. A lot in my collection from the early 1990s is on CD.

All that said, I don't like to think of myself as a format snob. I enjoy having options, and so I have three decks: a turntable, a CD player, and a cassette deck. I will purchase and use whichever format is convenient, "authentic" feeling to me, and, sometimes, cheapest.

My Daughter started getting in to it and as I helped her and started going to garage sales looking for records, It reignited my my memories of having been a long haired rock and roller blasting Led Zep and the Who through some cheap ass system back in the day.Needless to say the long hair is long gone but my system is much,much nicer!

I never gave it up, but in the 90s, as CDs replaced LPs everywhere, I realized I had a decision to make, and there were three options: get rid of the LPs I already had (not really an option), just don't buy any more, or take advantage of the fire sale prices and buy lots more. I went for option 3, and boy, were the 90s great for buying up LPs!

Well as I'm sure by this point in this thread someone has already said it, I'll say it anyway: our choices were vinyl (33.3 & 45 rpm), tape (R2R, cassette, and later 8-track), and used shellac (78 rpm) sides. "Records" (ie, vinyl) were the easiest to negotiate, cassette tapes a close second.

Now ask me what got me into collecting shellacs (78 sides)...

As a kid in the early 80s, my Dad's Garrard was always spinning on Saturday nights while we played board games. As a teen in the 90s I was into the whole HT craze but music just never sounded right when played back from my Laserdisc/CD player. Feeling nostalgic I decided to buy a used turntable and play some of his old albums. Been buying albums of my own ever since.

Three reasons:
(1) lots of opinions about the superior sound quality of vinyl.;
(2) I was jealous of those in my dorm in college who had such nice looking and sounding stereo set-ups;
(3) my brother-in-law has a ton of vinyl he collected in the 1970s, so I had an instant library of music.

Reason...sorry didn't know I needed a reason but really I don't know, maybe it's I'm a purist and I love analogue and old school cool. a simple man with keep it simple life. records were sold in shops new when I first got in to vinyl no CD's but also tapes. got back in to it cause there is just that something that draws you too it,

I grew up with the radio and then records. My mom worked at the Mercury Records pressing plant in Richmond, IN in the late 60's. She would bring home all kinds of stuff and just about all of it was country crap. She did bring home a few rock records one of them being The Left Banke which I still have. She also brought home a 45 one time from a local band and I don't know if they came by there and dropped them off or if the were pressed there. The Vondells - a pretty rare and pricey record now. I still have it also but it has a few chips on the edge and some markings but no real scratches.

Mine started five years ago prior to that I had only listened to the Beatles and Dobie Gray forty-fives on a portable record player. I was dating a girl who used to be a DJ so we'd sit over at her house and listen and that's when I fell in love....... unfortunately it was with listening to records and not the girl :jump:

Hmmm. For me it was the most cost effective choice between R2R and vinyl. Cassettes, 8-tracks, CDs, etc, came later...

Like so many others here, that and reel to reel tape was all that existed. I believe you could still hunt up a wire recorder and some music wires, (my dad's best friend had one) but vinyl was plentiful and inexpensive. So vinyl it was then and remains today.

Back
Top Bottom