The Return of the G9000

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by kevzep, Apr 7, 2018.

1. rcs16

rcs16 Super Member

Instead of stuffing those old ecaps as Anders has done, it is possible to make a small pcb to fit some new ecaps.
    I used higher colour temp white LEDs in the G-7500, just because I have a bag of them.
    fuji 054.jpg fuji 055.jpg

BLAH BLAH likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. kevzep

kevzep Its all about the Music Subscriber

Interesting you say that, I was just thinking the same thing, make up a nice board to mount somewhere and just leave those originals where they are, I think its possible, there is room in the G9000...
    Or I was thinking of just ditching those oval caps all together and fitting some Nichicon Gold tunes in there....

I like the golden glow, its just a personal thing, mood lighting, I have lamps for lighting in my house, nothing too bright...

3. Brooklynwgtn

Brooklynwgtn Active Member

Talking of golden glow, is there a way of dimming the brightness of the LEDs in the G7700? nice colour , just a tad bright

4. kevzep

Could try a dropping resistor, but the best way would be a regulator, cold possibly mount something on a perf board....use a trimmer to get it just right....Hmmm, let me think about it..

Brooklynwgtn likes this.
  5. rcs16

rcs16 Super Member

I made an adj reg for the G-7500 mod.
    suggest to tap off the unreg for the tuner supply (~>=16V+) and reg that using a cheap adj type, lm317T w/pot(R1=240,R2=2K+1Kpot). string 3-4 leds together for a low i/p - o/p diff in reg supply (~>2-3V). a small R drop (10ohm) in series with each string. white leds are ~ 3.2V@10mA 3.2x4=12.8V
    Simple design
    http://www.muzique.com/schem/lm317.htm

Hipocrates and kevzep like this.
  6. DougBrewster

DougBrewster AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've been through a number of iterations with LED lighting in a couple of 9090DBs and an 8080DB. Warm white every time; much closer to original just a bit more vivid. Cool white is too harsh/bright.

BLAH BLAH likes this.

7. kevzep

I agree, it just doesn't look right......I like the original look. I used to dislike the whole idea of LED's a few years ago, but the technology has progressed quite a lot over that time and now its just plug and play, no modification necessary...I have seen some pretty ugly conversions using standard LED's.....

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  8. bsandovalb

bsandovalb AK Subscriber Subscriber

Oh man... you make me want a g22000.... so so hard! -impossible in my country- ... congrats in getting yours back... I have a slight chance on a pioneer sx1980, and maybe you guys will ban me from the forum jeje, but I still prefer my sx-1250 over my g8000 (both fully restored).... but don’t worry, the big G also receives lots of love!…

But always wondered about the g22000....

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  9. kevzep

Well, I haven't got it back yet, I have to sell some stuff to obtain the funds, but its in process.....I can't wait!!

BLAH BLAH, Ronald.C and bsandovalb like this.
  10. richardpp

richardpp Active Member

She's a beaut, mate! sounds like you're made for each other!

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  11. stereofun

stereofun Super Member

There is a trick where you take a yellow marker and simply color the led. I just used it on a rail of 6 LED lights used to spot a large painting. Before the color looked like a fast food joint, now after some mixed yellow and orange pens on the glass it has a much much nicer tone and not as bright.

BLAH BLAH and Hipocrates like this.

12. ManyMoonsAudio

ManyMoonsAudio AKA paul79 Sponsor Subscriber

Very cool stereofun. I do something similar. I rough them up with some 220 sandpaper, then color them with a marker.

BLAH BLAH and stereofun like this.
  13. kevzep

I just fit drop in replacements, simple, plenty of colour and colour temp choices. When I am restoring/repairing, I like to put something in which looks original and doesn't involve time consuming solutions.

Willy6 and BLAH BLAH like this.