The rising of the sun..the running of the deer(RIGHT into my car!!)

rca2000

And the wheel goes round and round.

Last night, I had a nice, big deer run into the side of my Riviera. It hit right at the window, and somehow, slid over the windshield,over the hood and then, over the side I guess. It messed up the left fender, put a big greasy streak on the windshield, creased the hood a bit, SHATTERED the drivers window,dented up the door and sheared off the mirror. All that was left is a dangle of wires.

NO.. I am NOT writing this from a hospital bed, or my own bed. I did NOT get injured at ALL!! Those who have seen the car consider it basically a MIRACLE that the windshield did not give way. ( I certainly do--I have heard a number of times, people being seriously injured or even killed when they hit a deer.)Had that happened--I have no doubt I would have been seriously injured or even killed. BUt other than the greasy streak--the windshield is untouched. And, even though the drivers window was totally shattered, I did NOT get cut at all. The glass somehow missed me, at least in a way that would cut me up. But it was all over the floor, seat, back seat and floor, and even a piece in my shoe!!

SO...Driving back after the incident was actually normal,(except for no window--THAT was fun!!) the car still drives OK. I now have a piece of plastic over the window area to keep the wind and rain out(hopefully.)

Now--since this is my "beater", and I do NOT have full coverage on it--I figured I was SOOL as far as insurance coverage was concerned. NOT!! I DID get "comprehensive" coverage, I ALMOST didn't, but that "little voice" told me I should, I might need it. NOW--I do need it!! I have to get an estimate on the repairs. I hope they do NOT total it out, I want it fixed. I like driving it.

But at least, (as usual) The Lord spared me from injury--ANY injury this time!!

Glad you are well, rca2000! I have hit two deer, and made it through both times. Scary stuff, especially at night... :no:

if it has a scratch, they will total it.

i hate the way the insurance companies just want to take the lazy way out and give you a check and say "here go buy a new toyota"

Glad you're safe. What happened to the deer?

Last year some lady hit a buck and she was really distraught. Called the vet and we were all milling around trying to figure out what to do. The deer got up freaked and took off. Good thing a pissed 5 point buck could get nasty.

I hate when that happens.

I get a lot of practice avoiding them where I live. My reaction time is pretty good -- twice in the last few months, I've managed to stop in time.

Glad to hear all is ok. Those little buggers can do LOTS of damage! I have had a LOT of close calls. Couple of times I was really surprised I did not clip one.
Hope the insurance company does right by ya.
Throw some pics up when you have a chance.

Glad you are OK. A childhood friend of mine and her new husband were killed when an elk broke through the windshield of their car. It thrashed around so much they didn't stand a chance.

Seems when it rains it pours. The most important thing is that your ok. The car can be fixed but your not replaceable. Just goes to show how tuff the Buick is as most of the newer cars arent drivable after a deer hit. Another week and we'll be starting a new year. Hopefully it will be better for ya as far as the vehicles go as they have definately been a thorn in your side this year. Merry Christmas!
-Tony

Man, the first time I had a deer collision, a baby deer collided into the rear right fender. I thought it was dead, but it got up and ran. No damage, just a streak of grease. :D And at the time my mom, sitting in the back, smacked me in the back of my head.

My neighborhood is full of deer and wild turkey, so it was bound to happen. Luckily it wasn't mischievous turkey on the road.

I am glad your Ok.It could have been worst, My brother hit one on his motorcycle. It layed him up for about a month and did extensive damage to the bike.

The verdict is in!!

And it IS a total loss. I figured as much.

I had hoped that the insurance company would have given me say, around $1300-1500 for the car, or maybe $1000 and allowed me to keep the car.

Instead--they are going to give me OVER ---$2300.000!! for a 1988 Riviera--AND I get to KEEP IT!!

I CANNOT believe it!! Now--I am undecided as to what to do. I would like to keep the Riv, but I WILL NOT accept it fixed in a "patchwork car" way--such as a different color fender and door than the rest of the car. I DO NOT want that.

IN the meantime--I am looking around again. For another riv with the screen (a 1989 hopefully) or even a 1989 Trofeo(1990-1992 would be ok too, as LONG as it has the VIC computer screen.)

Does anyone out there know where such a trofeo may be for sale?? body color is NOT important. Nor is sunroof or such. Just decent shape, miles and price. The VIC screen is a MUST.

Back
Top Bottom