The Roku discussion thread

fwiw roku now has a youtube channel for the roku 3 only at this time.it will be added for other rokus sometime in the new year.

Where are you finding the Youtube channel? I can't find it listed anywhere and it doesn't come up using the search function.

cubdog

Found it! Talk about new it wasn't listed on the Roku channel store when I asked earlier today. This should be fun. I hope the search function is a good one.

cubdog

I hope the search function is a good one.
cubdog

To answer my own question the search function using my laptop is super easy. So far it's working quickly and without a hitch. Now I'm really happy I bought a Roku.

cubdog

To answer my own question the search function using my laptop is super easy. So far it's working quickly and without a hitch. Now I'm really happy I bought a Roku.

cubdog

and if you have a tablet or smartphone you can use the youtube app to send what you want to watch to the roku the same way the new netflix app works with the roku 3

Last edited:
Found it! Talk about new it wasn't listed on the Roku channel store when I asked earlier today. This should be fun. I hope the search function is a good one.

cubdog

well it was listed on the roku forum yesterday when it was released. :smoke:

I cut the cable cord with Roku over a year ago, dont miss it at all. Time Warner Cable here was BAD. Netflix, Vudu, NBA League Pass, Snag Films, Even MIT Open Courseware. There is also a channel where I can watch 9News out of Denver Live......From North Carolina.

Live NFL is occassionally an issue, but luckily Denver is on network TV every week it seems with egg-head at QB.

I'm still not having any luck. It's very frustrating. With the HDMI cables this should be simple. :sigh:

cubdog

Did you confirm the setting jimreeves mentioned earlier, Pg 27 of the Denon manual, "HDMI Audio Setup" is set to "AMP", not "TV"?

Damn! My wife and I are some of the few people who never watched Lost. We started watching it on Amazon Prime free of charge. :thmbsp: Of course we got hooked and are now half way through season two. Last night, after dinner, we settled in to watch a couple more episodes and were shocked to see that the series is no longer free. :no: $1.99 an episode?! No way. It would cost around $250 to watch the entire show using Amazon. That sucks. I can't believe most all TV shows are priced at 2 bucks each. Now I have to rent them, which is fine, I can see the entire show that way for $36.00 as opposed to the $250 . I can't understand how Amazon or any of the channels charging 2 dollars per show can thing their pricing makes any sense.

cubdog

Last edited:
Damn! My wife and I are some of the few people who never watched Lost. We started watching it on Amazon Prime free of charge. :thmbsp: Of course we got hooked and are now half way through season two. Last night, after dinner, we settled in to watch a couple more episodes and were shocked to see that the series is no longer free. :no: $1.99 an episode?! No way. It would cost around $250 to watch the entire show using Amazon. That sucks. I can't believe most all TV shows are priced at 2 bucks each. Now I have to rent them, which is fine, I can see the entire show that way for $36.00 as opposed to the $250 . I can't understand how Amazon or any of the channels charging 2 dollars per show can thing their pricing makes any sense.

cubdog

arrrgh sucks that Amazon pulled the "freebie" plug on Lost. Licensing smishinsing.

$36? :no: What's your "new" rental source?

..pssst--> $7.99 via Netflix will get you all 6 seasons of Lost. Not to mention all you can eat of everything else they have for a month. Welcome to binge watching. LOL

arrrgh sucks that Amazon pulled the "freebie" plug on Lost. Licensing smishinsing.

$36? :no: What's your "new" rental source?

..pssst--> $7.99 via Netflix will get you all 6 seasons of Lost. Not to mention all you can eat of everything else they have for a month. Welcome to binge watching. LOL

The local video store. Six seasons, 117 episodes, 24 discs. Not cheap even a $1.00 per disc. Oh well.

cubdog

This is probably overkill and will add to the cost and mess but it sure worked for me as I DONT have HDMI inputs on my DAC and I do have HDMI inputs on my projection system. This gizmo allowed me to hook the BluRay, Cablebox, XBox and PC video signal into the projector via HDMI while sending the S/PDIF signal across the room to my audio system. Yes, another crappy remote but since you don't really need more than one input it should pretty much be parked on one input. Some people had issues with it, but it's worked flawlessly for me.

I thought I would share it for the good of the group.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2

Yeah, I have had the Monoprice splitter/5.1 optical and digital coaxial ouputs along with stereo ouput by 4 channel hdmi inputs for two or 3 years now. Works great with digital out into a dac and then to my older receiver with no hdmi inputs. Mine is an older Monoprice item they don't sell any more.

I have a first gen Roku, just got a new TV with built in streaming and found that the picture quality of the built in streaming beats the Roku by far, however the interface is pretty crappy and difficult to use.

Just wondering if the new Roku would have a significantly better picture?

I have a first gen Roku, just got a new TV with built in streaming and found that the picture quality of the built in streaming beats the Roku by far, however the interface is pretty crappy and difficult to use.

Just wondering if the new Roku would have a significantly better picture?

My picture quality is excellent.

cubdog

Back
Top Bottom