The rubber band solution

BilboBaggins

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
C9D453E6-7726-4A43-9C72-03FB26E35966.jpeg I have an addiction. I like electro-mechanical devices. I like figuring out how they work so I can fix them. This is a slow road, but I’m getting there. But I have a dilemma. Most of the time, the problem I find is the belts have turned to glue. Living in Canada, if I want to buy a belt kit, I have to order it from the US. Here’s the problem. The last time I ordered two belt kits at a cost of about $22 US. When I convert that to Canadian, it adds up to about $35 total, and then I got dinged by customs with a duty of $10 and a service fee of about $25. So $70 for just two belt kits! And if I buy the deck for $15, and can’t sell it for more than $50-70, it really isn't worth the effort.

Some of the decks I find, I initially buy so I can scavange parts from, but on closer inspection, the only issue is a belt. So I can’t in good conscience take the parts when it is a really simple fix. My solution for the time being is to use rubber bands. I’ve done this before with a vcr, and it lasted a good 2 - 3 years. I wouldn’t use a rubber band for the main belt, but I’m not as concerned about the rewind or fast forward function being a steady speed. As long as it does the job, no worries!

However, if I’m going to then sell it, I will need to let the buyer know that they will need to eventually order a belt kit. I’m thinking I’ll offer to install it free once they receive it.

Do any of you use the rubber band solution? How well has it worked for you?

Here’s a picture of my latest repair, a Technics 630T! I know how much everyone loves pictures!

Hi BB,

Elastic bands are not uniform enough to give consistent elasticity along the complete distance (circumference) of the length of rubber involved. If the elasticity is not uniform then the rotational force transferred will not be uniform either. You will get Wow and Flutter good style (mainly Wow. And not in a good way!!). If the belt is a flat one running on a barrel shaped pulley then the variation in elasticity could also make the belt spin off the pulley.

The only time I have resorted to this is to get a "Runner" so that other faults could be rectified. The expense of the belt kit was put off until the requirement for the kit was the only thing left to be done.

In short, a rubber band will NEVER perform as well as the prescribe belt!!!

As ever personal opinion only!! But I think that this is "Spoiling The Ship For A Hap'eth Of Tar!!"

Cheers

GPS16

Hi BB,

Elastic bands are not uniform enough to give consistent elasticity along the complete distance (circumference) of the length of rubber involved. If the elasticity is not uniform then the rotational force transferred will not be uniform either. You will get Wow and Flutter good style (mainly Wow. And not in a good way!!). If the belt is a flat one running on a barrel shaped pulley then the variation in elasticity could also make the belt spin off the pulley.

The only time I have resorted to this is to get a "Runner" so that other faults could be rectified. The expense of the belt kit was put off until the requirement for the kit was the only thing left to be done.

In short, a rubber band will NEVER perform as well as the prescribe belt!!!

As ever personal opinion only!! But I think that this is "Spoiling The Ship For A Hap'eth Of Tar!!"

Cheers

GPS16

Totally agree gps however in this case, the rubber band is just for the auxiliary belts. If the play belt is shot, I’m not sure what I will do. I guess it all depends on whether the unit is worth the money, or I like how it is put together.

Back
Top Bottom