1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

The Shaving Thread

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by BillyBatts, Oct 3, 2018.

1. BillyBatts

BillyBatts ALOHA! Subscriber

Aloha!

A few of us were talking about wet shaving. I didn't see a shaving thread. Apologies if I missed it.

I've been into wet shaving for decades and personally collect and use STRAIGHT RAZORS. I hone, strop and recondition these and have a collection of about 20 or so.

I also use Double Edge razors and blades. I have a collection of these as well. And of course I have a very large collection of shaving soap, brushes, honing stones, strops, aftershaves, and colognes.

For some, the art of shaving is a passion. To others, it a Zen experience. I personally enjoy the process, experimenting with different blades, soaps, aftershaves and balms. I have a Kloss Model 88 stereo table radio in my shaving den because I love to listen to Jazz while grooming the face. Others like silence.

Anyone else here into wet shaving? Care to share anything?

A portion of my shaving den, and some pics of my straight razors;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rome, jgannon, Ilikevinyl and 4 others like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Judas Priest

Judas Priest Super Member

I wet shave once or twice a week, and I hate it!

I wish us men had menopause and our whiskers would just stop growing :)

arts, roger2, Ilikevinyl and 4 others like this.
  3. Zeego

Zeego Illegitimi non carborundum Subscriber

Here is my wimpy shave den compared to BillyBatts! :p Taylors of Old Bond Street (TOBS) products are just amazing. The smoothness they provide is better than my Speik cream but not by much. Still have to try Cedarwood and Grapefruit. Highly recommended.

imageedit_1_4658470444.jpg

Old Guy8 and BillyBatts like this.
  4. Zeego

I still have yet to try any Proraso products. On the purchase list next time around.

Old Guy8 and BillyBatts like this.
  5. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

I like cheapo double blade Gillette disposables. Never could get used to the triple bladers and floating blades. I also like my vintage Remington Microscreen.

[​IMG]

BillyBatts and Zeego like this.
  6. Route 66

Route 66 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Those straight razors look really cool but I'd be scared to death to try one! :yikes:

7. BillyBatts

Hey Z, TOBS products ARE AMAZING! I have a few in my collection. And there is no such thing as a wimply shave den. Your's looks fine to me.

I was recently at Pasteur's Pharmacy in New York City. This is the MECA of wet shaving. It's packed with goodies, and I purchased quite a few;

[​IMG]

MY HAUL from Pasteur's;
    [​IMG]

WHAT you see INSIDE Pasteur's (AMAZING);
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's wet shaving Nirvana - row after row of tightly packed shaving accessories, razors, strops, soaps, creams, whatever you can imagine.

Bogframe, jgannon, Ilikevinyl and 2 others like this.
  8. BillyBatts

Actually, if you have the right angle, and the lather prepared and applied correctly, chances of cutting yourself are very slim. You let the razor glide (with the right angle) across the face and let the razor do the work. No pushing, pulling, or forcing. ANGLE and letting the razor do the work are KEY. Of course, the razor itself needs to be properly SHARPENED (Honed) and Strapped (Stropped). If you have these things in order, the shave you will get can be amazing. I can go two days with a very close straight razor shave.

Our grandfathers, and their fathers and their fathers before them were masters of the Straight razor. It's not that hard. It just takes practice.

A great first tutorial of straight razor wet shaving;

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  9. BillyBatts

Here you go guys. Some James Bond action -
    Bond using a straight razor - or more accurately, Moneypenny shaving Bond with a straight razor;

10. Zeego

Let's just say, I'm glad I don't live close to this place. Amazing.

RickeyM, Leebob and BillyBatts like this.
  11. BillyBatts

Z:

I must say I LOVE Proraso. This is the Barbasol of Italy, but man, they make an incredible product. If I had to just choose ONE product line, it would probably be Proraso. In Italy, Proraso shaving products are as common as Gillette blades are here.

I wrote the owner in Italy about how I loved her product, (she's the grand daughter of the founder) and she sent me this amazing Proraso gift set as a thank you for telling her how wonderful I thought Proraso products were;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And so you don't think it's only straight razors - here is some Proraso action with my Jagger DE89 Double Edge (Feather Blade);

[​IMG]

Ilikevinyl and Leebob like this.

12. motorstereo

motorstereo AK Subscriber Subscriber

WOW......I had no idea people actually enjoy shaving!!! For me next to going to work it's more than likely my least favorite thing in life to do. A beard doesn't work for me so I look at shaving as a necessary evil.

13. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

[​IMG]

BillyBatts likes this.
  14. Zeego

That is so cool she sent that to you. I wish that I didn't have to order all of my shaving products online. Okay, I'm psyched to try some Proraso stuff.

Start wet shaving! I can almost guarantee it will turn into an enjoyable ritual for you. A nice shave will always refresh the man spirit in you! :smoke:

DougRuss47, BillyBatts and Leebob like this.
  15. Zeego

I love this dude...has a bad ass shave den. A Burt Reynolds Tribute Shave...

Ilikevinyl, BillyBatts and Leebob like this.
  16. Meloski

Meloski Active Member

I enjoy my shaving gig too. Some quality soaps, creams and a quality badger brush. Add a couple of Gillette fat boys and a Merkur Slant loaded with feather blades. Watch out. Looking and feeling as good as Burt!

BillyBatts, Leebob and Zeego like this.

17. BillyBatts

AWESOME. I've been watching shaving vids for a very long time but didn't see that one. I know Kensurf's Videos, but never say the Burt Reynolds Tribute Shave. Nice. Mahalo Z!

Hey, a Gillette Fat Boy is to many wet shavers the cornerstone of their DE (Double Edge) razors. I have one. They are still available (as you know) on eBay. Those are such classic DE Razors. Very nice.

18. BillyBatts

I could not have said it any better my good man. :thumbsup:

19. BillyBatts

Some of my wet shaving larder. I really love Feather Blades, but I think Lord Blades are just as good and a bit smoother. I buy them from Pasteur's Pharmacy in NYC, but I'm sure you can get them on eBay and Amazon. Bolzano are also excellent as are SuperMax Blue DIamond Titanium. I have more than pictured here, but it's thrown in the under-sink cabinet and does not photograph well. :)

[​IMG]

Some Straight Razors ready for action, as well as my favorite brushes. Boar, Synthetic, Badger and Horsehair;

[​IMG]

Rome, jgannon and Ilikevinyl like this.
  20. sanford12

sanford12 Old Stuff New Stuff As long as it's Good Stuff Subscriber

I loathe having to shave and want to spend the minimum amount of time doing it. Bought a higher end Panasonic electric shaver and haven't looked back. 200 bucks for a good shaver once saves a lot of dough and time.

Ilikevinyl likes this.