1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

The Shaving Thread

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by BillyBatts, Oct 3, 2018.

1. jocko_nc

jocko_nc Super Member

Wow. For me it is whatever bar of soap the Wife puts in the shower and a half-year-old blade of whichever promo razor last came free in the mail.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. BillyBatts

BillyBatts ALOHA! Subscriber

My grandfather was a penny-pincher to the Enth Degree. He'd squeeze a penny so hard that Lincoln's head would pop.

He shaved with a straight razor, because buying razor blades was a luxury he could not afford. He would just shave off some flakes from the Ivory Soap bar in the bathroom and mix up lather because buying shaving soap was a luxury he could not afford.

While I applaud the frugality, some of us are into a bit of luxury these days. We did not live through the great depression and we have a few dollars to spend on things like vintage Hi Fi and shaving accessories.

I have even treated myself to a straight razor shave from time to time in major cities where you can get a barber to shave you. But again, they are not using a genuine straight razor, but a Shavette where they put a razor blade in an open holder that looks like a straight razor. In Chicago, I had a barber once shave me with a Double Edge razor. Sheesh. The shaves I have received from Barbers have not been great. I'm sure some will give you a great shave, but I have not found them yet. I leave it to myself to do a fabulous "BABY BUTT SMOOTH" (BBS) Shave.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Ilikevinyl likes this.
  3. Quadman2

Quadman2 Addicted Member

BB, you've turned "shaving" into a full blown art form! :thumbsup: Nice.

Great layout/design of your barber site. Envious. But prob won't get one. The SO!

Q

BillyBatts likes this.
  4. Sandstrom

Sandstrom Seldom turns out the way it does in the song Subscriber

Man, I wish I could find one of these! I always like how well they worked. All they seem to have nowadays are those 3 disc Norelco types...

BillyBatts likes this.
  5. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

Norelco doesn't work for me either. I went through a series of Wahl barber sheers to rough trim my protest beard. They didn't last either. My Micro-screen is still going strong.

BillyBatts likes this.
  6. BillyBatts

Thanks. Mine is OK but you should see some of them I have seen on Shaving Forums. Just like we have guys here on AK that have amazing setups for audio, if you go on to shaving forums you can't believe what some guys have. Right down to a hot lather pumper and a barber chair with barber pole.

jgannon likes this.

7. RichPA

RichPA Don't drive angry Staff Member Super Mod Subscriber

Norelco electric here most days, Gillette Mach 3 on Monday mornings when I haven't shaved all weekend. I'd consider letting it grow, but it would be gray (which the rest of my hair isn't yet, mostly).

8. Ilikevinyl

Ilikevinyl Cool Breeze Subscriber

Billy, you can open up your own Barber Shop! You need to get an antique Barber Shop pole light! ;)

I use a cordless rechargeable electric shaver. Have to shave everyday! I'm another one I hate shaving!! ;)

jgannon likes this.
  9. Gazdatronik

Gazdatronik Super Member

I use a moisturizing hand soap since shaving "cream" is an emulsion that doesn't work well. I use bic disposable ladies leg razors on my face, that way my wife only has to buy one thing.

It, cuts clean, close, and I don't get bumps. Since it works so well, I would be hard pressed to complicate my life any further than that.

I LIKE MUSIC likes this.
  10. grillebilly

grillebilly Empty Head Subscriber

The best shave for me is a multi-blade razor while the shower is aimed directly where I'm shaving. It has beat any of the creams and lotions. Obviously you are not in front of a mirror but you can feel your face to see where you need to work again. It is the least irritating by far. A sharp blade is everything. Don't leave it in the shower after use, take it out and dry it after each shave. I usually get about 20 shaves from a replaceable blade cartridge.

11. jgannon

jgannon AK Subscriber Subscriber

Dig the thread, Billy!

This always cracked me up!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    BillyBatts and Ilikevinyl like this.

12. jgannon

jgannon AK Subscriber Subscriber

And...

AdamAnt316, BillyBatts and Ilikevinyl like this.
  13. BillyBatts

I've never seen that. Hilarious. Thanks!

14. BillyBatts

Well, obviously, I'm going to have to shave tomorrow evening with this playing on my Shave Den Kloss Model 88. :)

Ilikevinyl likes this.
  15. HarmanKardon

HarmanKardon Tubes still smell funny Subscriber

I love the Philips HS, HQ and RQ series.

I got a lot of them, some 15 or 20 or so. Philips introduced the HQ series in 1998, my newest RQ is some five years old. Following the planned obsolescence principle, they stopped producing the shaving heads long time ago. But I stored a lot of them back then. Now these shaving heads have become extremely expensive. An American Ebayer recently offered a RQ10 shaving head for 174 Euros...

BillyBatts likes this.
  16. Bogframe

Bogframe www.bogframe.com

When I shave, it's with a DE or a straight, of which I have one or two, a lanolin-based soap and lathered with either a boar or badger-bristle brush. Guys, if you've never had a straight razor and hot towel shave, you owe it to yourself to find a place that does it. It's the ultimate in luxury, IMHO.

Picture 061.jpg Picture 062.jpg Picture 063.jpg

Zeego and BillyBatts like this.

17. BillyBatts

MOST EXCELLENT STRAIGHT RAZORS, MY GOOD MAN! Very fine indeed. Do I see a Wade And Butcher FBU (For Barber Use) model in there? I have one and it is one of my favorite Straight Razors.

Yes, you are so correct. A fine hot towel straight razor shave is the ultimate in luxury.

Nice collection and thanks for sharing!

Bogframe likes this.
  18. Bogframe

Bogframe www.bogframe.com

Good eye. I got that one up in Bridgeport, CT. My favorite ones, are my Wostenholm Pipe razors.

Pipe razor003.jpg Pipe razor001.jpg

BillyBatts and Zeego like this.
  19. Zeego

Zeego Illegitimi non carborundum Subscriber

Ninja swords for the face. Nice selection. I know nothing about the straight razors of shaving. Envious of the gentlemen who use them. I'll stick to my Slim and Fatboy. :)

A most anticipated shave on Sunday after backpacking in the southern woods.

BillyBatts likes this.
  20. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Addicted Member

Got a Norelco cause I have a light beard....

Kind of like mowing the lawn !!!

BillyBatts likes this.