the shedshrine sytem

shedshrine

I kind of just posted much of this in the introduction forum a couple days ago, Being the newbie hadn't yet seen that there is in fact a forum specifically for the purpose, so here we go..

A little background: I am a recovering home recording junkie
Tascam388kickedtocurb.JPG

who is now going back to being predominantly a music fan. Hence more stereo toys have been accumulating. Sold all my records and my first Tascam 388 when I went to teach English in Japan in 1991, and am now getting them all back and then some since 2012.

I have always been enamored of the shiny metal twinkly lighted music emanating boxes in people's livingrooms since I was a kid. I've been squirreling away pieces as I find them over the past maybe 15 years (coinciding with home ownership..). It's squirelling away, not hoarding because I actually use them. Right Mrs. shedshrine?

The 3 Systems of the mancave, the "shed shrine"
(aka the guest room):

"Shedshrine" was what I called my sheetrock, insulation and packing tape room-within-a-room recording structure I built in my tiny apartment while living in Japan. Now it refers to my music room/guest room. All three systems use the same set of speakers, a pair of Klipsch Forte 1's. There are three sets of cables, I just unplug whatever setup I'm currently using and plug in the next. Speaker cables are nothing fancy, Magnolia audio store house cable. All are terminated with banana plug pairs. You may notice the speakers are upside down. I inverted them so the horns were more ear-level aligned. Got this pair off craigslist *full story at bottom of this post. Zebra wood finish, and fully outfitted with all the available Bob Crites mods. They sound great with these viintage receivers. Very live, open sound. Interconnects are all Blue Jean cables.

Room%20Pano%202.jpg

SYSTEM 1

mcintosh%20denon%20klipsch%202.jpg

A McIntosh MAC 1500 receiver and a Denon DP 62L direct drive turntable. Cartridge is a Ruby F9E.
The 1500 was McIntosh's first receiver, manufacture date sticker says 1966. Solid state preamp, tube tuner and power amp. It was missing some of the heavy milled aluminum knobs, but found some NOS ones online thankfully for a reasonable price. The headphones out also gets the tube treatment.

Denon%20DP-62L.jpg

The Denon is from 1982. The original owner stored it well and it has been without issue thus far, though I should get it recapped soon before I ruin it. There's an unubtanium chip in there that needs to be protected. It's got a similar micro controlled tonearm to the Sony below. The rosewood veneered base is in great shape, but it does have some deep scratches (melt marks?) that wont' buff out on the lid, looking for one of the nice aftermarket ones available online at some point.

SYSTEM 2

hhscott%20thorens.jpg

An HH Scott 222b integrated tube amplifier with a Thorens TD 125 belt driven table. The Scott only has 13 watts but sounds very good driving the Klipsch. The Thorens is running a Dynavector 10x4 high output MC cartridge. I got a good deal on the Thorens due to a cracked cover and decals/water damage on the wood base. It cleaned up nicely, got a new lid off ebay. Those after market lids are very nice! The arm is a Shure SME 3009, a very popular mod to these in the 1970's (and beyond).
Shure%20SME%203009.jpg

Thorens%20TD125%20alignment%20window.jpg

SYSTEM 3

marantz%20sony%20%202.jpg

These receivers were what my friends dads' had in their living rooms when I was a kid, and I loved the nice walnut case some had.
This Marantz 2270 came home with me about 5 years ago after a visit to a vintage audio dealer in Sacramento. It came with a 90 day warranty. Within six months the main speaker outputs blew and the off/on button had stuck in the on position. At that point I started using a power strip to turn it off and on, and using the 2nd set of speaker outs until they too blew.

Kinda disgusted, I stored it under the bed for a few years, Finally got it fixed last month. Two weeks later the phono preamps for phono 1 went out, switched to phono 2, fuzzy left channel quickly ensued Ah, vintage audio.
Sony%20PS-X75%20turntable.jpg

Turntable is a 1979 Sony PS-X75 with an Ortofon Blue cartridge. Great sound though some of the touch controls are janky. Usually the arm pulls up at the end of the side but doesn't return. If I hit the power button off and on at that point it completes its journey back to its post.
Sure it's got a lot of bells and whistles that can go wrong, and the back end of the micro controlled tonearm resembles a walker from StarWars, but this large, heavy and very well built turntable is a beautiful piece and fun to work with.

Sony%20PS-X75%20controls.jpg

It has been recapped, but the soft touch controls would need to be replaced to get it fully up to snuff.

A cool feature for this Sony deck is that the controls are still accessible with the lid down.

SOny%20PS-X75%20antiskate%20track%20force%20knob.jpg

It has a knob to adjust cartridge weight right out front. (Now this feature actually functions on my deck..of course I have to verify its accuracy with a digital scale, but anyway..) Nevertheless, it is very cool to be able to adjust the tracking force weight in small increments while a record is playing and hear the difference in sound.

_______
Using a Lounge Audio LCRMKIII MM Phono Preamp with the Marantz now. I really like the Marantz phono sound I was getting, but the Lounge sounds great in its own right. I'd say cleaner and more precise version of good sound.

Lounge%20Audio%20MM%20phono%20Preamp.jpg

* SYSTEM 4

I have a couple more components that will be put into service someday. A Pioneer SA 9500II integrated amp that needs a small repair and a Dual 1229 idler drive turntable that needs a rebuild.

With the Pioneer, I tried pushing oversized cabling and maybe even banana plugs into the push=down/insert-the-cable speaker inputs in back of the amplifier and bent them all up. Taking it apart to see if I could bend them straight again I broke the fine strand wire connections to the amp interior. Doh. Could just use it as is as a preamp for the time being. (I've got one last piece, a Parasound power amp stored under a bed at the moment. )

*edit: also under the bed a Sansui 9090db receiver,
-the bedroom: a Marantz 2220 receiver with a pair of JBL (forgot the model but they are 3 ways built in L.A) and a Technics SL1700. ,
-the livingroom with a more modern box store Yamaha stereo receiver with a pair of JBL 4408 2 way monitors and a Technics SL1200 MKII.
and finally a couple more speaker sets: a pair of Klipsch CF4 ver.1 two way towers and a pair of early Vandersteens in the garage awaiting duty. With the vintage recievers I was just finding the Klipsch Forte's were the best fit.

Sure, I suppose I could sell off all of this and put it towards a really dependable amazing modern high end system. But I know that if I just run one system I'll get bored of it over time, What I love about this vintage collection most is that it's great to be able to run music through a different system configuration from time to time. It keeps things fresh and allows for favorite
recordings to sound interesting in new ways. At this point I've accumulated a bunch of old pieces to swap around and it keeps it all fun. The puttering around with how things are configured is a big part of the allure of this sport for me.

Border%20Patrol%20Pioneer%20SOny%20Minidisc%20stack.jpg

DIGITAL

Atop that Pioneer integrated amp is a Border Patrol DAC. I just got it a few days ago after researching DAC's for awhile now, and these were getting rave reviews. It definitely sounds more present and full than the Nuforce I was using prior. I know some folks consider burn in a psuedo effect, but I know I have noted the sound opening up after a few hours with the Border Patrol. I like Steve Gutenberg (the audiophiliac) 's reviews and he gives this DAC his thumbs up so I thought it worth a listen. And it's got a tube. It's still here a few weeks in so I guess I'm keeping it.
Border%20Patrol%20DAC.jpg

Border%20Patrol%20TEsla%20Tu%20be.jpg

Klipsch story..
* So I was looking for a pair of old Klipsch speakers to go with my old Sansui receiver. I found a pair on Craiglist, and it had had some Bob Crites mods, which apparently is a popular thing. This particular pair was touted as having had all the mods. Crossovers, titanium diaphragms, re-coned woofers and passive radiators ..and the owner had also seen fit to re-veneer the things in zebrawood. The price was fair, I call and I'm in.

I google map the address, and wow. Big gates, long narrow tree covered cobblestone driveway that expands out in front of the house replete with six carefully covered sports cars. Soon I am to find it's the house of Ken Leonard who was a big deal in 1970's electronics among other things.

He was the founder AEA Electronics http://aeaaudio.com/legacy-page/ which has been restarted recently. His first board was used at Criteria Studios for Clapton's Derek & the Dominos Layla sessions and it took off from there..Fleetwood Mac Rumours etc..
He also happens to hold a patent for certifying the security of websites.

So anyway, his son makes the minute or so walk to the black gates to let my car in. Once parked I am invited inside and we make our way back past ornate furnishings, sculptures and statues to the "stereo room/pool table room/electronics projects room".

Next to a picture of Mr. Leonard adjusting a mixing desk (as Eric Clapton and member of the Allman Brothers look on) are the speakers. Currently the pool table is covered and full of electronics projects in progress, namely the refurbing of classic tube receivers and integrated amps which he and his father do for fun.
The speakers were demoed with a 7 watt Heathkit amp. They sounded good low, they sounded good cranked. sold.

klipsch%20forte%20front%20room%20plants%20zombies%20screen%20btter%20contrast.JPG

The house..
mountain%20view%20klipsch%20crgslst%20house.PNG

Last edited:
Nice system(s)! And it looks like you have nice place to enjoy it. Welcome to AK.

Great!
Did you get a chance to shoot the shit with Ken Leonard? Brag about gear and the like?

Mr. Leonard wasn't there unfortunately, or if he was..I don't know, that house was huge. :)
His son was a real nice guy though. Since he was selling the Klipsch, I asked him what he was using for his main system. I suppose I was expecting him to say he was rocking Nautilus or something,
but he said he had another set of Klipsch and just preferred the sound of the Klipsch Forte II's to the Forte 1's.

______

Just have to say, these gooseneck LED lamps IKEA carries are freaking awesome for checking vinyl and getting light behind amplifiers for wiring and such.

2b3d7551-a2a9-4428-ad3f-b0e7ead3e033_zps988340dc.JPG

_______

The shedshrine equivalent circa 1981

my%20room%201981.png

My portable system..The kid and I think it sounds fantastic reflecting off Yosemite granite.

Yosemitewithvinylsystem.JPG

Last edited:
I have an old Telefunken Opus 7 tube radio that I wanted to have as an option to run the digital contingent of my music library (vinyl dubs included) through . It's a fairly large radio at 24" wide and 16" tall with two speakers facing forward and a tweeter on each side. The aux input available on the radio is meant for an old style mono reel to reel DIN plug. For modern use, cut off one end of an RCA cable, tie the two hot wires together and put that in whatever slot makes a hum, and tie the grounds together and find the input slot and call it good.
TelefunkenOpus7TapeIn.jpg

So now I've got the signal running through the radio, but it's not sounding that great. Even though I had had this Telefunken Opus 7 gone over and recapped, it has always had quite a wooly sound*. But I really wanted to press it into service, to get some use out of it besides it just sitting there looking awesome, so I finally patched in an old Rane dual graphic eq between it and the analog outs from an Icon D/A desktop amp. (That little box to the right of the graphic eq. The Icon's optical input receiving the optical output on the iMac.)

The sound... geez, audio metaphors. Well, it sounds like warm crayons. I mean really warm crayons, like melty ones with the wax oils seeping into white bond paper in full-on summer sun.

Still messing with the eq settings, but pretty extreme added highs and lows makes it sound like a good V setting on a boogie. :)

*through the aux in. I may want to revisit my DIY cable method and experiment a bit more.

Telefunken%20opus%20w%20EQ.jpg

Speaking of melting, my Denon DP72 turntable lid had had some kind of melt marks on its lid since I got it off Craiglsist and it had always bothered me as otherwise the thing is in great shape. They go too deep into the finish to easily buff out. Finally just sprung for one of those nice acrylic replacement lids off ebay. It is strikingly transparent, (I believe optical grade is the terminology) and the table looks as good as it sound now.
Denon%20Acrylic%20lid.jpg

Last edited:
That is a seriously nice collection of gear. I too had a pair of crites modded Fortes and sometimes really miss them. Enjoy your systems in good health bud! Happy listening!

b753f600-c18d-4d0b-8894-56bef1cb572c-original.jpg

Been saving..saving..saving..selling...more saving...I am now the owner of a Rogue Audio RP-5 tube preamp. Computer optimized biasing, tube headphone amp, highly customizable phono preamp, processor loop (got an eq in there), 2nd amp output, mono switch, remote.. Thing is loaded.
Pricy sucker, but getting nickeled and dimed fixing my '70s Sansui 9090db and Marantz 2770 was getting to be a real drag.

Already had an amp. Had seen a Parasound A21 on craigslist for an amazing deal a few years back so had had that around for awhile in anticipation of a separates preamp someday. The A21 actually helped me hobble along with my failing recievers as it was their amplifier sections that have been failing, and using their pre outs with the Parasound had been actually giving some pretty damn nice sound. The Marantz pre section finally blew, but the Sansui had been sounding awesome, very sweet with more refined sound per the Parasound. Cables are just Blue Jean throughout my setup. Speaker cable is Magnolia house cable or the Audioquest stuff they have on the reels in the back room.

I had read differing opinions on the Parasound A21, the naysayers saying it was boring and bland. Well, i can tell you that with the Sansui 9090db pre running into it, give it a half hour or so to warm up and it sounded very sweet. I would switch in and out the tone controls as desired, depending on the recording. The Sansui has a lot of control in that department with two choices for center frequency cut boost for the bass and treble, and a dedicated midrange control to boot.

One of the concerns of getting a higher end piece I was having was that often there were no tone controls. But having setup the RP-5 tonight I can see how that can work. I mean everything is so nicely balanced, apparent present and accounted for without sticking out. High resolution!
Regardless, I have a little Schiit Loki eq I picked up about a month or so ago that I am going to patch into the processor loop this week and mess with here in a bit. With its controls flat, It is undetectable switched in our out, there's no sound quality hit that I could make out by it simply being engaged, and it doesn't mess with staging. And for only $150 it will be nice to have around to play with frequency extremes and see how I can push the RP-5's tone colors.

So the Rogue, once I got everything hooked up, the first thing I listened to was a vinyl rip of Stranger Things soundtdrack Vol 1 and some 2009 Beatles White Album remaster through a Border Patrol DAC with the tube engaged. (the Border Patrol has a tube in the power supply, not in the audio circuit. Can't say I fully understand the concept, but can't argue with the sound)

Anyway, everything was coming out detailed, smooth..20 minutes in I realized I was just melting into the music. No harshness or in your face musicians in your lap fatigue I read in someone else's Rogue (integrated) review in this forum recently. There's some good Rogue, Parasound, Border Patrol, Klipsch synergy going on here.

Headphone out sounds just as good with a pair of Sennheiser 650's. Getting late now, so shut off the speakers and turned these up. Really nice in that you can keep increasing the volume and it just gives you more of everything, no harshness or distortion that I can hear, everything just flows smoothly..louder. (I've got Tony WIlliams Believe It on now.) We're about three or four hours in now, I've also got a HH Scott 222b all tube integrated and a Mac1500 hybrid tube output ss pre,The RP-5 has got some of that liquidy warm-side-of-neutral tubey mids, but tighter bass than the other two. (Now I've got Robyn Hitchcock's Jewels for Sophia going, he's singing right next to my ear, bass is tight and round and deep, string sounds of strumming and muting and fingers nicely present..) getting sleepy though..damn. It's half past midnight on a Monday.

I understand Rogue does some preliminary burn in before shipping, and I am fine with any further deepening sweetening effects should they want to make themselves known as I put on more hours. For the most part everything I've thrown at it has sounded great. With headphones I had Siouxsie and the Banshees remastered Hyaena on for a bit (lossless cd rip) and it had me wanting to reach for a treble knob to take the edge off Siouxsie a titch. Frank Black's Bluefinger album came across a little congested on first listen. I'll come back to these and see if I feel the same another time.

I've got a lounge audio mm phono pre on one of the RP-5s inputs, I haven't even tried out the Rogues' phono pre yet, that's for tomorrow night. I put on Ramsey Lewis' Mother Nature's Son on for awhile earlier (Denon PD-62L with Grace Ruby) and it sounded great, as in controlled and present but not boxed in. Hearing details and subtle things lower in the mix, but nicely tucked into their places. Ah words to describe sound. I 'll just say that my worries that I wouldn't hear enough of an improvement to warrant the outlay resulting in eating the shipping back and forth for an RMA number is not to be thus far. ;)

Day Two: first impressions on the RP-5 phono pre: maybe a little more body in the low mids than the Lounge Audio. And the Loki eq: for seasoning finding small cuts in the two high bands and small boosts in the low bands are cool to have available depending on the recording at hand. My copy of Buzzcocks Singles Going Steady for example benefitted from both.

Last edited:
Day Two: first impressions on the RP-5 phono pre: maybe a little more body in the low mids than the Lounge Audio. And the Loki eq: for seasoning finding small cuts in the two high bands and small boosts in the low bands are cool to have available depending on the recording at hand. My copy of Buzzcocks Singles Going Steady for example benefitted from both.

10f512a3-ca7a-4bf0-bcc0-f16bd20fc8aa-original.jpg

Schiitt Loki 4 band eq

The knobs from left to right control 20- and 400-Hertz, 2- and 8-kHz, and the toggle switch on the front right engages the equalization in the up position, and bypasses the EQ in the down position.
The 20 Hz and 8 kHz knobs have +/- 12 dB of adjustment range; the 400 Hz and 2 kHz knobs have +/- 6 dB of adjustment.

From the Schiitt site:
Technically, Loki is a single-gain-stage active EQ with non-constant-Q passive filtering. In more English-y terms, that means that each band varies from broad to narrower as its gain is increased—small turns of the knobs result in broad, shallow changes, and bigger turns result in more narrow-band changes.

I really can't hear any sound quality hit when the Loki four band eq is engaged, And with it patched through the RP-5's processor loop I can apply it to every input.
The Rogue is really well dialed in but not all recordings are created equal, and besides, customizing and tweaking your sound is fun with this "discrete, single-gain-stage, passive LC-filtered EQ, the most purist approach to tone controls"

My comment about 'congestion' with Bluefinger above was not repeated, tonight Black Francis/Frank Black's Bluefinger sounds great. I think I was congested.
The mrs. sat down and listened with me for a good hour and a half.(not to Frank, played Sgt Pepper and Revolver end to end) Smiles, eyes closed, yeah, she said, it sounds really good.

________
The girls are out and about, it's day four. I've sat in one place for more than five minutes so of course both cats are situated on me reclined. Ready to let the day go.
I turned everything on right when I got home so it would be good and warmed up and ready to go by dinner's completion.

Alright, here we go again with this drawing you right into the music, I felt compelled to put on warhorses I’d heard a million times to see if they would hold my interest and bypass a driving need to skip it and save my brain from hearing the same song for the millionth time.
Like Smells like Teen Spirit. I’m just letting it play, the parts come in, they say their thing, the chorus hits, the solo paraphrasing the lyrics, oh right, I was trying to see if I could just listen to it all the way through and I totally was..

Like Stairway to You know where by that Led Dirigible outfit. There’s no way I’m going to sit through that thing all the w…wow that flute is just hanging there. Man, that separation is really great, instruments all spread out there to hold in your hand and examine. ‘thoughts are misgiven..’ the layers come in, separate but equal, lovely. subtle guitar harmonics the way the finger and pick hit strings, I never hear that stuff so clearly. Drums! Bonham comes in doing his thing locked in with that feel. build build to that timeless solo that is ultimately the best part of the song. So frieaking good…tears. Nostalgia, emotions, appreciation, gratitude , the season, thankfulness, the reasons I love music so damn much. All there. Hey, it’s a good system, whether it’s Rogue or Parasound or whatever well designed and implemented setup you can get together, it’s worth it.

Classical and jazz of course benefit from all this resolution. Had to check out metal, thrash, hard rock? The Rogue's pretty laid back, and the Schiitt Loki was coming into it's own here. Judas Priest Screaming for Vengeance practically screamed for cranking upper mids to get that crunch to come through. Lower mids too for more gut. I hadn't listened to Master of Puppets/Ride The Lightning/Kill 'em All in years, similar settings here let these albums speak. Soundgarden BadMotorFinger, Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream..

The pre/eq combo is proving to be a great best of both worlds setup. Laid back or more in your face. Walk this back just a bit, if you crank the volume you get there, but at lower volumes the Loki gets your "loudness" setting on.

The RP-5/A21 combo is really doing a number on busy mixes,like more modern Rush-Snakes & Arrows and especially Vapor Trails (remixed), enjoying how I can make out all the parts much more easily, not such a wall of sound (not that there's anything inherently wrong with that). Whereas before I probably couldn't get through this album in its entirety, may have just written off listening fatigue to loudness wars, everything is much more laid out, though not like dissecting a frog, just easier to make out the puzzle pieces. And if you really want to hear the bones of the songs, hit the mono button. Collapsed down, what do you know, it really is just three guys making all that racket.

High resolution rules!

28018783-38df-4f4a-8502-cc8620acf67e-original.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom