"The Son"...a new Western TV series. What do you think of it?

Quadman2

Lunatic Member
Starting to get hooked on a new western series ("The Son") that's just getting off the ground and I really like it!

Pierce Brosnon is the chief protagonist in it and he plays his role to the hilt. I'm still trying to assess whether he's a good guy or bad guy. At this time, he seems to be both, but maybe in that time period in the early history of Texas you had to be a bit of both to survive? I keep waiting of the English accent to come out, but he supresses it well.

There's a good deal of action/turmoil in the production, as more than one culture in the mid 1800's in Southern Texas was tying to gain control of the land.

Anyways, was wondeirng if anyone else out there had caught the few intro episodes and liked it as well.

Q

Watched an episode tonight and enjoyed it. It's pretty strange realizing that people were still being taken by Indians in the time of the automobile. Some pretty disturbing scenes for those with a weak stomach.

Last edited:
Watched an episode tonight and enjoyed it. It's pretty strange realizing that people were still being taken by Indians in the time of the automobile. Some pretty disturbing scenes for those with a week stomach.

Flashback scenes to a young Eli McCullough.

Starting to get hooked on a new western series ("The Son") that's just getting off the ground and I really like it!

Pierce Brosnon is the chief protagonist in it and he plays his role to the hilt. I'm still trying to assess whether he's a good guy or bad guy.

Q

IMHO ... the term good guy or bad guy is what I call a "plastic character" ...not real. I like characters that have some "depth" (both good & bad qualities) like people in real life. A good character should behave like nobody is watching them ...
just be themselves (real life) and let the audience be the judge.

Last edited:
Flashback scenes to a young Eli McCullough.

Now I feel stupid. I just happened to catch it while channel surfing and it was already part way into the show. I didn'the realize the scenes of the boy captured by the Indians were flashbacks. I thought it was a side story. I'll have to start at the beginning and watch the whole show. :rolleyes:

Now I feel stupid. I just happened to catch it while channel surfing and it was already part way into the show. I didn'the realize the scenes of the boy captured by the Indians were flashbacks. I thought it was a side story. I'll have to start at the beginning and watch the whole show. :rolleyes:

Makes two of us. Duh!

Q

The Son Q&A – Jacob Lofland (Young Eli McCullough)

Understanding the young Eli Mc Cullogh's history ... helps you understand the "ruthlessness" part of his character.

Borrowing a military phrase ... he learned to
51KRitywHsL._AC_US160_.jpg

He did not let the harshness of the land destroy him ... he learned to take the punches and keep
moving forward. The bad part was that he became as "harsh" as the land.

Last edited:
I appreciate you pointing out the flashbacks, Condorsat. Some of the scenes were confusing to me and now they make sense.

My father use to hate flashbacks scenes ... in Foreign cinema ... they are quite common and are just as popular as sequential story telling.

AMC webstie has a lot of good ... background story information on their TV series.

As Bob thanked you for this background info, so do I. Will have to follow up on that McCullough person in order to try to put the story into better context for me.

If I may add, there is the introduction of the Comanche conflict coming up that I have not seen yet, and this part of the past I look forward to seeing how this clash will be depicted.

Having read "Empire of the Summer Moon" by S.C. Gwynnes telling of the rise and fall of this powerful native nation that once ruled the SW Texas Panhandle. It in turn gives you a lot of the historical background wherein this series, "The Son" takes place. If you are a history buff, this book fills in a lot of empty blanks, keeping in mind that the victors get to write the texts.

I found the above novel a super read as it follows what happens during this time of turmoil where Quanah Parker, a half breed Comanche and his people held back western expansion for the better part of seventy years. At times it was pretty brutal as is this TV series of early Texas development. Parker's tribe was the only tribe to never sign a peace treaty!

Q

Last edited:
As Bob thanked you for this background info, so do I. Will have to follow up on that McCullough person in order to try to put the story into better context for me.

If I may add, there is the introduction of the Comanche conflict coming up that I have not seen yet, and this part of the past I look forward to seeing how this clash will be depicted.

Having read "Empire of the Summer Moon" by S.C. Gwynnes telling of the rise and fall of this powerful native nation that once ruled the SW Texas Panhandle, it in turn gives you a lot of the historical background wherein this series, "The Son" takes place. If you are a history buff, this book fills in a lot of empty blanks, keeping in mind that the victors get to write the texts.

I found the above novel a super read as it follows what happens during this time of turmoil where Quanah Parker, a half breed Comanche and his people held back western expansion for the better part of seventy years. At times it was pretty brutal as is this TV series of early Texas development. Parker's tribe was the only tribe to never sign a peace treaty!

Agree 100% on your "Empire of the Summer Moon" comments. I could hardly put it down. A very compelling read that I highly recommend.

Agree 100% on your "Empire of the Summer Moon" comments. I could hardly put it down. A very compelling read that I highly recommend.

Right! Amazing what that Comanche Chief, Quanah, was able to do in the short time that he was part of the whole conflict. At one time, there were over 3000 cavalry combing that SW expanse and he managed to ellude the many troopers that were searchering for him. If not for the elders, women and the children, I don't think they would have caught up with him.

However, the end of the buffalo meant the end of that culture and all prairie related native groups at the times. If you can't eat...you can't fight!

The reading of the novel helped me understand that period of time when the Latino, Native and western migrants were duking it out for control of that SW Texas area, wherein "The Son" TV series takes place both in time and place.

Thanks for the pos spin, eh?:thumbsup:

Q

Last edited:
Well, the story's seems to be moving along a fair pace. Some new characters being introduced, some taken out. Still numbed by the amount of brutality that took place, but I guess when a frontier opens up, there's always a lot of conflict when the different cultures vie for control. A good balance of dialogue and action.

Brosnan still doing a great portrayal of his role.

q

I dunno? The show is starting to take some interesting twists and turns as of late. I think it's holding its own.

Q

Back
Top Bottom