The Sounds of Silence--Poll

The Sounds Of Silence-which version do you like better

• Todd Hoffman

• Simon and Garfunkle

• Disturbed

Results are only viewable after voting.

waggs098

I know who the winner will be but I just have to see by what margins it ends up like.
Who's version do you like better.

Here are the options.

Todd Hoffman from Gold Rush --

Of course Simon and Garfunkel --

Disturbed --

Of course Simon and Garfunkel is great but I'm torn between them and Disturbed.

Last edited:
To me, there's no separating "The Sound of Silence" from Simon & Garfunkel. The Disturbed rendition completely changes the mood that S&G laid down. I don't see the point.

Yes Disturbed changes the mood. That is the point. I'm just curious.

But the more I listen the more I gravitate to Todd Hoffman despite what I said in the original post.

For me, the two absolute requirements for knocking off someone else's song is that you have to change it up somewhat,and you'd better do it bloody justice.
I like each of these versions,they're all excellent. But the original will always be my fave:)

The thing that turns me off about the covers is the attempt at emoting that simply comes off as bombast. It's like that ridiculous Shinedown version of Simple Man. They don't do anything new with the song, the guy just tries to yell harder because that's supposed to have impact. Why bother. It seems to me they don't just alter the mood, but miss the point. But I'm rapidly becoming an old fuddy-duddy with too many historical references for easy assimilation.

I did very much like the S&G version from Live In Central Park.

I hated the Disturbed version at first but dammit it's grown on me and now I like it better than Simon and Garfunkel's.

Poinzy said:
To me, there's no separating "The Sound of Silence" from Simon & Garfunkel. The Disturbed rendition completely changes the mood that S&G laid down. I don't see the point.

And the disturbed version is digital trash.... (Nothing good about it)

Simon and garfunkel for sure!!

For me, Disturbed completely blows the original away.

It´s not even close.

There is so much emotion in his voice. I cried like a baby the first 3 or 4 times I heard it.

It's rare for a copy of anything to equal an original recording. I don't listen to SOS very often, but S&G is always comes to mind.

Picture someone else singing Dina Mo Hum.....:D

There are two renditions of The Sounds Of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel.....

First one is a true folk ballad with the two artists strumming acoustical guitars !

Earlier recordings....recorded in 1965. Saw this song performed on The Ed Sullivan's Show....

image.jpg

image.jpg

Then the Simon & Garfunkel aibum Sounds of Silence

Also.....recorded in 1965

image.jpg

image.jpg

Two of the same song, each with a completely different feeling....

Last edited:
There are two renditions of The Sounds Of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel.....

First one is a true folk ballad with the two artists strumming acoustical guitars !

...Two of the same song, each with a completely different feeling....

The drums and electric guitar were a later remix of the original.

From Wikipedia;

"Released in October 1964, the album was a commercial failure and led to the duo breaking apart, with Paul Simon returning to England and Art Garfunkel to his studies at Columbia University. In spring 1965, the song began to attract airplay at radio stations in Boston, Massachusetts, and throughout Florida. The growing airplay led Tom Wilson, the song's producer, to remix the track, overdubbing electric instrumentation. Simon & Garfunkel were not informed of the song's remix until after its release. The single was released in September 1965."

Each version from the various artists has its merits. I lean toward the original acoustic version which really lets the vocal harmonies shine through.

Cheers

DD

Yep I noticed that when researching the songs. Kind of funny the producer added stuff without them knowing. Lucky it ended up a hit.

The drums and electric guitar were a later remix of the original.

From Wikipedia;

"Released in October 1964, the album was a commercial failure and led to the duo breaking apart, with Paul Simon returning to England and Art Garfunkel to his studies at Columbia University. In spring 1965, the song began to attract airplay at radio stations in Boston, Massachusetts, and throughout Florida. The growing airplay led Tom Wilson, the song's producer, to remix the track, overdubbing electric instrumentation. Simon & Garfunkel were not informed of the song's remix until after its release. The single was released in September 1965."

Each version from the various artists has its merits. I lean toward the original acoustic version which really lets the vocal harmonies shine through.

Cheers

DD

There is another rendition of the same song, with a single acoustical guitar with changed guitar rifts and they hummed the second verse.

The Graduate....

image.jpg

image.jpg

I hated the Disturbed version at first but dammit it's grown on me and now I like it better than Simon and Garfunkel's.

I don't like it more than the original, but the song definitely put Disturbed on the map for me. While the original seems wistful and haunting, the cover by Disturbed seems powerful and brooding. I can't recall two songs that were such polar opposites, while still using the same lyrics.

I went with Disturbed. Not many covers I like, Like the supercharged feel of it. Plus that album kicks ass, So your going to hear it.

Back
Top Bottom