The Spendor Thread..

The Stirlings are related to Spendors, having been voiced by Derek Hughes, son of Spendor's founder. Nice speakers, I'm sure. The reviews were quite favorable as I recall. Someone on the Spendor yahoo forum had a trial pair for evaluation and liked them a lot.

Yes, I would imagine the Stirlings would be very comparable to Spendors/Rogers in voicing in general, if maybe a bit more "modern" upgrade to the older ones possibly.

Recently began looking into these as well as the Harbeth Compact 7 too, these are all priced(new) within a fw hundred bucks of each other depending on finishes etc., would have to listen to them all and get a good flavor for them as it has been awhile since I have heard them.

The current price for the pair Stirling LS3/6 that I am looking at nearby is giving me some of those "special pains"-almost too good to pass up, yet I am not specifically in the market right now either. I do think they would match well with my Naim Uniti though, and would probably be one of those speakers potentially that could be the game ender for me. More thinking to do....

Has anyone ever compared all the modern LS3/6 descendants back to back? (ie The Harbeth SHL5, Spendor SP1/2r2, Stirling LS3/6) I'd love to hear their results.

On another note, the B&W DM4 looks - conceptually, at least - like a BC1 copy. I remember liking them a lot in the late 70s, but has anyone listened to them recently? They can be had for a lot less than a BC1 or SP1.

I too would love to do that, based on my past listenings, I would say that I would take any of them, although I have not heard the newer LS3/6, but what I read doesn't lead me to believe it would be a far departure from any of the others. Would be a fun shoot out of sorts though! Tim

I bought a pair of S3/5Rs off eBay last summer. I don't usually get lucky on eBay, but I did with this pair. For some reason they did not garner much interest or bidding, and I got them for a very favorable price from a local seller. I run them in my bedroom system with a Jolida hybrid integrated amp and a Sansui TU-999 tuner. They are wonderful speakers; voices in particular are astounding. Absolute keepers.

BC 1's

I use a pair of BC1's and I'm wondering about a couple things. These are pretty old speakers and I would love to know of anyone who has replaced crossover components. Or re-wired the interior of the speaker. Also anyone know what this midrange is? I was told it comes from a microphone element. So any parts around for these puppies anyone know of? I would love to keep them.

The "midrange" (really a tweeter) is the Celestion HF1300. It's actually a compression driver with a mylar diaphragm. The supertweeter is a a Coles 4001 - that's the one that uses a microphone diaphragm, IIRC.

You might find this link useful: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/vintageBC1.htm

The Coles HF 1300 is, alas, no longer produced - Falcon acoustics in the UK may be able to advise on a replacement.

Last edited:
The HF1300 actually turns up fairly regularly on UK Ebay but be aware there are 4, 8, 16, and even a 32 ohm version (used in dual parallel arrays), so you should measure yours or examine any markings, then try to find a similar one. Since they are small and light, you might be able to get one shipped or convince a UK shipper to ship. Occasionally, they show up on US or Canadian Ebay as well.

Any buying advice for a pair of 1987 SP1's? I'm going to take a listen tomorrow night, and just curious what you all have to say. I will be reviewing the various drivers soon, once baths are done and I'm done. I recently scored a set of LINN NEXUS 250's and love the depth of sound, and I've had Castle Kendals and thought those were very open and musical so figure why not another brit. Oh and they look amazing, that's what stopped my eyes on the add. What about the beaming? I had a set of thiels that I could not stand because they were so picky about placement. Oh and I don't get a lot of time in the sweet spot seat.

Sorry about the swipe typing errors in the post.........ugh.

Last edited:
SP1s are a great speaker in the two foot square box category of BBC reference monitor speakers.
They have most all of the magic of the BC1s with far more robust drivers and components.
Let's put it this way . . . if a pair came my way I'd buy them - even as a backup with no planned use.

Yes, I really like mine, but suspect they need a little more room than the small bedroom/office they're in now. (But that's coming - we're moving in 2 weeks).

As long as you don't overpay, you can always sell them if you don't like them. I've never heard BC1s, but I certainly prefer them to the LS3/5as - there's just more of everything.

So it seems like the drivers in these units and most spendor units are very dependable, not finding much in the way of typical issues. What material are the surrounds?

I'm actually using my passive Creek OBH-12 a lot more.

I use Foobar2000 for playback, and do a little EQ: a 1-2 cut from 2-5K, 1-2 boost from 20-200hz. I'm listening in the VERY near field (about 4 feet away), so YMMV.

Congrats on the A6Rs! I recently picked up a set of A6's and have been listening non stop. It's great to hear the music instead of the speaker or amplifier.

Back
Top Bottom