The SR-71 "Buzzing the tower" story you probably never heard before

My father-in-law was career Air Force, 1953-1975. He has some great stories. They had an SR-71 come into their base (somewhere in Texas, if I remember correctly). They had to keep it inside a hanger and it leaked hydraulics and fuel until it got airborne and up to speed. When in flight, at high speed, everything heated up and sealed. I've read confirmatory stories elsewhere.

He also got to work with GE in field testing some of the first "miniguns" in that little SE Asian conflict. He had plenty of photos of that.

My father hid in a personnel carrier in Colorado when in the Air Force, and took pics of the Blackbird during takeoff.

I cherish those pics, but that dumbass would have been put under the jail if he had been caught.

Good ol' pop. My old man was a character.
Let´s see those pics!

Let´s see those pics!

They're still in his possession. He's 84 and still golfs every week.

He doesn't typically talk about Viet Nam, but this was one of the occasions he felt like sharing.

He was also a BB Stacker on B52's. He was attached to the Canadian Air Force handling our (US) nukes on their (Canadian) planes. I never knew that went on. Probably lots of thing we don't know about.

Back
Top Bottom