The term "vinyl"

Calling records Vinyl has been going on for over 30+ years, it was a way of distinguishing between formats for a given record title since the advent of CDs. It's that simple, but we have some boomers that are just getting back into records again.

Take the "Record Store" I posted earlier, Through the mid 80s and up when CDs took over if you went to a record store, or a store that had record as part of the name, they would only have CDs for the most part. A CD was the record put out by artist and sold as their record, only a very few had a vinyl copy. Records where DEAD in most retail record stores unless the store was a Used Record Store.

These used record stores promoted that they had used records and Vinyl records before you ever walked into the place. Signs out front, paper advertisement and then finally websites and internet adds. My record store put Vinyl in their name in 1984, Vinyl Solution Record Store. Vinyl was a solution to buying CDs and it was promoted that way since CDs came out.

When brick and mortar record stores started to vanish, online places continued the use of Vinyl to distinguish the different formats you where ordering.

If you think this is a new name your a noob and just getting back into records again. If your not a noob and have beed playing records all these years, you haven't been buying new ones online, or you just got out from under a rock. In fact you might have just started to use a computer that open your whole world.

That said call it whatever you want, but we are online and need others to understand what we are talking about. I haven't seen anyone in this thread say they don't understand what someone is talking about when the words vinyl record is used. But if you want me to list in Barter Town and just post a record title and not let you know the format I'm selling don't be pissed when you get a CD.

When I'm at a record store I call a title a record if I'm looking for a record, if I want a CD in that title that's what I ask for. I never use the words LP or Vinyl, and if I ask for a Album they look at me and ask questions, "do you want a CD or Record?"

Shtloads of vinyl around here . The flea today had so many boxes I perused only half of them . And there were abandoned boxes of 45’s and albums which I took later in the day
. . And it’s February .

Such is the love for the ancient format that we have all these endearing terms to use. We should think ourselves lucky and use what we like. Clearly, there is no right or wrong here is there?

Unlike plain old CD, all it got was Compact Disc, CD and maybe silver disc.

PS. There are some audiophile amplifiers of the 70s/80s that called the phono input 'Disc', long before CD...

The Yamaha A-1 (1980/81) springs to mind, an expensive integrated, tailored to exceptional phono playback..

A-1.JPG

Last edited:
I grew up (in the 50's and 60's) referring to those thin, flat black round things with a hole in the middle as "records".

If the contained more than one song, they were called "albums" but, many, including me, still refer to them as records

Personally, I think calling them "vinyls" is a construct of either hipsters or ignorant gen x,y or z's, or both.

That would make CD's "plastics" and cassettes and 8 tracks, as well as R2R tapes, simply as "tapes"

Last edited:
I grew up (in the 50's and 60's) referring to those thin, flat black round things with a hole in the middle as "records".

If the contained more than one song, they were called "albums"

Personally, I think calling them "vinyls" is a construct of either hipsters or ignorant gen x,y or z's

That would make CD's "plastics"

Or "aluminums" lol.

I've heard the term "vinyl" very rarely in the late 70s, but I did hear some audiophiles say it. When the new "digital disc" was unveiled at the 1979 CES, I heard magazine references to the term.

I remember Ingrid Schumacker on CHUM-FM refer to it in 1985, after playing "Going Down" by Bruce Springsteen, saying "there's the new single from Bruce Springsteen's latest vinyl..."

LICORICE-PIZZA-121.jpg

To help complicate the matter:

" Here I am a record on a jukebox
A little piece of plastic with a hole, Play me

Buy me and you play me then my plastic turns to gold

Here we are together on your hi-fi
A little piece of plastic with a hole "

10cc, The Worst Band In The World.

Back
Top Bottom