The term "vinyl"

The people that invented the LP originally called them "Columbia LP Records." They also called them "Columbia Long Play Microgroove Records." They also sold "Columbia LP Player Attachments," also known as turntables.

...so Record and LP are the original terms put forth by the inventors of the format.

...me, I just buy them and play them.
I was just coming back here to post that. I wanted to grab visual aids first.

596342D7-2F65-4224-83DE-C41F1AE1F304.jpeg 261127D5-7BA8-458C-9E4D-C3B9A34883CC.jpeg

Well a album can be on all sorts of formats, so when talking online we need to distinguish witch one we have. We called cassettes, cassettes or tapes, or 8 tracks, 8 tracks, reel to reels, tapes and reel to reels. CDs, CDs. We called records, record. albums, LPs if they where in fact a LP, they could be a EP 45s.

Actually what seems normal to others is really not normal. For one thing "Record" doesn't really make sense, Isn't that the process of recording? A vinyl copy of a album title is not a recording, it is a stamped duplicate on vinyl that the recording on tape was cut in lacquer to produce stampers.

I mean how does this sound,
Record a Record
Play a recording that I recorded from a record

You see a record was never really a record, that speech and term was doomed from the start by some illiterate that didn't know what the hell they where talking about in the first place.

But then again there was recording machines that cut straight to a disc and they where actually a recording, so it was a record, but not a vinyl stamped duplicate.

In fact why do we call Tape , Tape, it's not tape, it might look like tape but we hope it's not sticky tape.

"Record" is a word with two different pronunciations and two different meanings. If the emphasis is on the second syllable, it's a verb for the process of making a recording. If the emphasis is on the first syllable, it's a noun representing a single document of a recording. In this context, it refers to a single sound recording artifact on the once-popular analog vinyl recording format.

"Vinyl" in regards to recorded artifacts is a collective noun. Consequently, "vinyls" or "a vinyl" are nonsensical expressions.

"Tape" as a generic noun simply refers to a long strip of ribbon which may or may not be adhesive, magnetic or possessing other specific features.

You're welcome.

In 1980 my favorite record store in Los Angeles (Hollywood) was Vinyl Fetish. Best selection of imported and domestic rock music/alternative/New wave/etc.

an audiophile record player = turntable

"Record" is a word with two different pronunciations and two different meanings. If the emphasis is on the second syllable, it's a verb for the process of making a recording. If the emphasis is on the first syllable, it's a noun representing a single document of a recording. In this context, it refers to a single sound recording artifact on the once-popular analog vinyl recording format.

"Vinyl" in regards to recorded artifacts is a collective noun. Consequently, "vinyls" or "a vinyl" are nonsensical expressions.

"Tape" as a generic noun simply refers to a long strip of ribbon which may or may not be adhesive, magnetic or possessing other specific features.

You're welcome.
This settles it.
A STICKY statement .

This settles it.
A STICKY statement .

No, it doesn’t. As people explain to me when I don’t like a change in language, language changes. If people call records in general vinyl then to call a single record a vinyl, and plural vinyls, sensibly follows.

Look here, if I have to put up with jaspers saying “begs the questions” instead of raises the question, fitment instead of fit and usage when they should use use then you guys can put up with vinyls. One understands the umbrage of the vinyl cultists; their cliquey term has been turned general, the masses are in on the game and it’s lost it’s sense of exclusivity. Once everyone is hep nobody is.

Last edited:

And a tape refers to a recording on magnetic tape whether cassette, 8 track or open reel. The plural is tapes. And people will say “I kept a bunch of tapes in my car”.

Which raises the question if the general to the individual with tape was accepted why the pushback with vinyl?

No, it doesn’t. As people explain to me when I don’t like a change in language, language changes. If people call records in general vinyl then to call a single record a vinyl, and plural vinyls, sensibly follows.

Look here, if I have to put up with jaspers saying “begs the questions” instead of raises the question, fitment instead of fit and usage when they should use use then you guys can put up with vinyls. One understands the umbrage of the vinyl cultists; their cliquey little term has been turned general, the masses are in on the little game and it’s lost it’s sense of superior discernment. Once everyone is hep nobody is.
Sure just go along with the masses dumbing down the proper dictates . You go hang out with them . I won’t .

Will got it right . Argue with him . I don’t think you’ll win .

:blah:

No one should care what somebody else calls it, as long as you know what they are trying to get across.
Maybe another couple pages before heads explode?

Sure just go along with the masses dumbing down the proper dictates . You go hang out with them . I won’t .

Will got it right . Argue with him . I don’t think you’ll win .

Actually I don’t think the vinyls thing is dumbing down; I think it’s something new rather than a corruption.

Oh it’s new all right .
You have tiles on a floor . They’re not called vinyls . They’re composed OF it.

Don’t subscribe to the style of the day .

Last edited:

Look here, if I have to put up with jaspers saying “begs the questions” instead of raises the question, fitment instead of fit and usage when they should use use then you guys can put up with vinyls. One understands the umbrage of the vinyl cultists; their cliquey term has been turned general, the masses are in on the game and it’s lost it’s sense of exclusivity. Once everyone is hep nobody is.
I should clarify since I made a terminology (though not a conceptual) error. "Vinyl" is a mass noun, not a collective noun.

It's like "luggage". You don't pluralize luggage as "luggages" or talk about having a luggage. I understand that mass nouns can be difficult, but they are a valuable concept that we shouldn't discard because some people struggle with them.

Well however this works out I still like how my vinyls sound on my record player thingy.

Sure just go along with the masses dumbing down the proper dictates.
There are no "proper dictates" in language, only conventions that a few people hold dear enough to -- briefly, in the grand scheme of things -- try to make into rules.

It doesn't work. Language changes in spite of rules, and sometimes to spite the rules.

Over time, language evolves. If it didn't, we'd all still be speaking whatever came before whatever came before whatever came before proto-Indo-European. Language evolution is how a smattering of Latin mushed up with various Germanic and Norse dialects became what we currently call "English".

It's how the English we're speaking now will, in some hundreds of years, inevitably become something else.

Just bought 19 M- LPs yesterday!! :banana: $1 each.

Most are great titled records!! All good (just got lucky).

Never understood calling them Vinyls. What do you call tires on a car? Rubbers??

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom