"The Terror"

guiller

Toscaninichus Australis
In 1845, two Royal Navy ships left England in an attempt to finally discover a navigable passage through the Arctic. They were the most technologically advanced ships of their day. They were last seen by European whalers in Baffin Bay awaiting good conditions to enter the Arctic labyrinth. Both ships then vanished.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terror_(TV_series)

p15107311_b_v8_ab.jpg

I´ve just watched the first episode. It looks good!

So is this going to be based on reality or is the "Terror" going to be something supernatural, like space aliens or zombies? If the former I might give it a watch.

So is this going to be based on reality or is the "Terror" going to be something supernatural, like space aliens or zombies? If the former I might give it a watch.

The first episode may have some clues. There are two brief moments that point towards something unusual: 1) a young member of the crew in fever and about to die sees a person standing in front of him (seemed oriental or eskimo?) and 2) a diver sees an underwater human figure that cannot be there. Both may be considered as hallucinations (although in the first case the doctor that is resting nearby the sick member of the crew says there are no signs of that). We´ ll see how it goes.

I thought the diver was seeing the body of the guy they had just lost overboard. I don't think they had moved from when he fell out of the ship's rigging and went down.

there is much i like about this- production values are off the charts great, superb casting, the eerie bleakness of the far north, particularly as imagined by the explorers of the 19th century is gotten across very well; the hubris of the leaders is on full display. and one other observation: i have not experienced one moment of 'terror' yet

I thought the diver was seeing the body of the guy they had just lost overboard. I don't think they had moved from when he fell out of the ship's rigging and went down.

It may well be as you said! I've got distracted at that moment by a phone call.

agreed and it's already turned too weird for me...but on the history side I wonder how desperate the lower crew members had to be to even sign on for a trip like that.

I watched the first episode. I'll give it a few more views before I decide if I'm hooked or not.

agreed and it's already turned too weird for me...but on the history side I wonder how desperate the lower crew members had to be to even sign on for a trip like that.

Agreed, last night's episode with the Carnival was just too far fetched, although I vaguely recall that researchers did report finding signs of a burnt encampment. Still, it's pretty interesting with all the basis in history and the mystery.
Even the monster is supposed to be genuine Eskimo mythology. And I'm a sucker for monkeys.

Yesterday I've finished watching the entire season. I like it, in particular for the good acting and a story that is not as procrastinating as in most other TV series (e.g, The walking dead or The strain). The element that I liked the worst was the oversized bear-spirit, but after all it wasn't featured that much.

The episodes started out rather interesting... then took a turn towards the "overdone license of imagination", which seems to be a trend where the network compels you to return for more episodes :dunno:.

There is probably a conceivable series of events that led to the expedition's demise and would make for evenly enjoyed screening. Not sure why this repetitive methodology of producers.. seem to take the same course.. however if you like that sort of thing.. it does not disappoint.

On another note, I believe this is why historians of the purist type, stay away from depictions of history as events based on speculation and glorified innuendo.

Good points: history and kit from that time (late 1840's); location--not to many shows about the Arctic and those who live and ventured there.

Bad points: drawn out; dark in a depressing way; not particularly believable.

While well acted with good character development the pace was too slow for me. I canceled all future recordings and deleted what had been recorded.

Back
Top Bottom