The things you don't know about family...

Sam Cogley

Last of the Time Lords
Subscriber
Background: my maternal grandfather was a little, wiry guy, but he had an excellent bass singing voice that was probably as low or lower than Richard Sterban's. As such, he was quite sought-after in the area where I grew up for church choirs and the like.

I was just talking to my mom and mentioned that I'd picked up an early Ferlin Husky album at an estate sale yesterday. As it turns out, grampa sang with Ferlin when they were both in their late teens and early 20s, and Ferlin wanted my grampa to go with him to Nashville as a backup singer when his professional career was just getting started. Grampa stayed with his railroad job, though. Before he started having really big hits, Ferlin used to come home and sing with his friend on holidays and the like - my mom met him a couple of times as a kid.

Not the most momentous piece of information of all time, but still kinda cool.

Last edited:

interesting.. I wasn't familiar with Ferlin Husky that I knew of ... I just read read his wiki and his webpage. Lots of names names mentioned throughout - wonder if your grampa is in there somewhere.

interesting.. I wasn't familiar with Ferlin Husky that I knew of ... I just read read his wiki and his webpage. Lots of names names mentioned throughout - wonder if your grampa is in there somewhere.

Nah, grandpa never did anything to get attention on that kind of scale. He was content to be a local guy and raise his family.

Background: my maternal grandfather was a little, wiry guy, but he had an excellent bass singing voice that was probably as low or lower than Richard Sterban's. As such, he was quite sought-after in the area where I grew up for church choirs and the like.

I was just talking to my mom and mentioned that I'd picked up an early Ferlin Husky album at an estate sale yesterday. As it turns out, grampa sang with Ferlin when they were both in their late teens and early 20s, and Ferlin wanted my grampa to go with him to Nashville as a backup singer when his professional career was just getting started. Grampa stayed with his railroad job, though. Before he started having really big hits, Ferlin used to come home and sing with his friend on holidays and the like - my mom met him a couple of times as a kid.

Not the most momentous piece of information of all time, but still kinda cool.

Very cool indeed!

Nah, grandpa never did anything to get attention on that kind of scale. He was content to be a local guy and raise his family.

Also very down to earth of your grandfather.

GJ

I have this vague memory of watching Ferlin Husky on black and white TV when I was a kid. It sounds like your grandpa was a solid guy.

I have this vague memory of watching Ferlin Husky on black and white TV when I was a kid. It sounds like your grandpa was a solid guy.

He was on both the Ozarks Jubilee broadcast from Springfield and the Grand Old Opry.

Back
Top Bottom