The Tragically Hip

Lowstang

Anyone buying the released hip albums on vinyl? I've got Day for Night, Fully Completely, Trouble at the Henhouse, Phantom Power, In Violet Light, Now For Plan A, Man Machine Poem. Wondering how everyone is finding the sound quality.

Attachments

• IMG_20170805_161021_870.jpg
    IMG_20170805_161021_870.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 15
just saw this thread. i was looking at fully completely remastered by bob ludwig. how is the sound on this release?

I think they all sound damn good. If you're a hip fan, I recommend them all. I've recently bought Up to Here and Road Apples. Phantom Power, Day for Night and Man Machine Poem are my favorite sounding at the moment. Fully Completely sounds amazing but I've heard it too many times. Fully recommend still tho, you can never go wrong with some great Canadian music!

my experience with trag hip is limited to fully completely and day for night, and i can't find the latter cd. really got into fully when it came out and likely never gave day for night enough chance. with fully completely as a starting point, what album would you recommend as a good next listen?

I'd recommend Road Apples. Then give Day for Night another shot. Up to Here is a great all round album too. If you're still liking what Gord and the boys are playing start climbing up the newer stuff. Phantom power is a great album, they seem to mellow out a bit the older they got. I'm a huge fan as you can tell. Older live stuff, the lead singer Gord would tell stories during songs. Killer whale tank version of New Orleans is sinking is awesome! I just can't get enough of the lyrics they write. For instance, read the lyrics for three pistols, 38 years old and the way he writes. Guess you can tell I'm a bit of a fan boy.

thanks low. i'll give road apples a try and see if i can find my day for night cd. prob around somewhere. i never did value cd's the way i do my vinyl records... for some reason they always seems kind of disposable to me.

it's ok to be a fan boy as long as you're aware of it. self awareness absolves many sins ;)

1st five Hip first presses and all sound fantastic. Fully Completely is my go to, followed by Up to Here. Gords vocals are more forward on these then the reissues.

Attachments

• 20170310_143809.jpg
    20170310_143809.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 5
1st five Hip first presses and all sound fantastic. Fully Completely is my go to, followed by Up to Here. Gords vocals are more forward on these then the reissues.
Found that on Phantom Power his vocals were turned up a bit much. That was on a pair of Axiom m80's. Still sounded pretty good.

Found that on Phantom Power his vocals were turned up a bit much. That was on a pair of Axiom m80's. Still sounded pretty good.

I havent heard Phantom p[ower yet, but have heard some other reissues. The OG Day for Night is far better, along with Fully Completely. The Up to here reissues had some issues but forget what they were.

Using Klipsch Cornwalls here.

Original
I havent heard Phantom p[ower yet, but have heard some other reissues. The OG Day for Night is far better, along with Fully Completely. The Up to here reissues had some issues but forget what they were.

Using Klipsch Cornwalls here.
Original is probably better, but $35 vs $250 doesn't make that huge of a difference on my starter system to warrant the spending that much on day for night.

thanks low. i'll give road apples a try and see if i can find my day for night cd. prob around somewhere. i never did value cd's the way i do my vinyl records... for some reason they always seems kind of disposable to me.

it's ok to be a fan boy as long as you're aware of it. self awareness absolves many sins ;)

Did you ever get into anymore hip?

@Lowstang
not yet. fell off my radar.
seems like only way i remember anything lately is to send myself a text or an email. :bigok:

still intend to. thanks for the reminder

Back
Top Bottom