"The Upgrade Company" WTF?!

When I purchased my current MC205, it wasn't as quiet as I expected it to be. I took it into my local tech and he applied RF filters to each channel and the problem went away. There is a lot of potential RF interference in the particular room where I have the MC205, but I also tried an older MC7270 and that didn't experience the same problem.

We did have one AKer that bought a used C500 with his upgrades and he gushed about its SQ but as he bought it upgraded, he had no baseline to compare the AFTER results to.
Yeah that was me. I bought it used and had no idea the "upgrades" had been performed until I opened it up to swap out the tubes and posted pics on here showing how to swap out the tubes. I can post the pics again if anyone is interested? Basically, there is a whole bunch of shielding around the internal wires. Does it improve the sound quality? To be honest, I have no idea, as I never heard the unit beforehand. This C500T is amazingly quiet though, but they could all be this quiet. I don't think this upgrade would be anything I'd pay for, unless I had a similar problem as with the MC205, but then I'd probably simply take it to my local tech.

The main hash generators in a system will be items related to pulse power supp!ies and digital media.

McIntosh once had discovered running wires through holes punched in a metal chassis was causing interference. The solution was plastic barrier strips which were used on McIntosh amplifiers for many years. This was ~ 50 years ago.

That said, the odds this outfit discovered something overlooked by McIntosh along these lines are pretty slim.

I doubt that McIntosh uses 28 gauge anything on their products!

Not to argue, but why not? Think of the wire gauge inside of a TO202 transistor, ...

If it's not carrying current and not going far, wire only needs to be thick enough to benefit the manufacturing process and any durability issues.

The claim was "internal power wires". That seems pretty unlikely! I'll accept the idea that there might be some 28 ga. wire in some McIntosh tweeters...

I see your point, ... it would be difficult to crimp and handle 28awg the way he claims they are in the equipment. Probably more in the 18-20awg range at smallest.

I see your point, ... it would be difficult to crimp and handle 28awg the way he claims they are in the equipment. Probably more in the 18-20awg range at smallest.
Having owned and Recapped 4100, 1900, 6100....The wire are small and become Very Brittle. Never liked the RCA jacks that are used.

I agree with that, having gone through my early '70s McIntosh equipment it is true that the old wiring (insulation) is a bit hard to work with and the old tin-plated RCA jacks on most of this half-century-old equipment isn't as nice as today's (and don't even mention C-28 grounding), but I got the impression that the claim was regarding more modern Mc equipment.

Just assume the work performed will be of the same quality level as how the website is written. Maybe some high-school level skills will be missing.

You do not need English as your native language to know the difference between "than" and "then", for example.

Being some skeptical Dutch mostly-non-audio tech, maybe I could offer some English teaching?

:

Then there's a pitch for their "ULTRA HIGH PERFORMANCE Signature Edition upgraded versions which include our $1499 McIntosh Signature Edition Upgrades & our RFI EMI RIDDANCE TECHNOLOGY, high end parts & wiring, complete with our 5 year parts & labor warranty."
I wonder if they can put a lomshavok in my McIntosh so it will analog better. I guess I should give them a call and ask.

Apologies if this has been discussed before here. I searched for my title words and found nothing.

I was doing a Mac search and stumbled across this:

https://upgradecompany.com/brands/u...t/366-xrt1k-floor-standing-loudspeaker-system

Here's the text beneath some pictures of (alleged) Mac wiring:

I was just amazed to read this. Anyone else here ever see this or had contact with these folks?

Dave

Dave:

Just a short reply on a long completed thread.

I am not affiliated with the upgradecompany nor do I own anything upgraded by them. I came across this thread because I was contemplating an upgrade.

My intention here is to add something to the conversation/interwebs. First, it appears most of the detractors here and across the interwebs haven't heard anything that Schulte has worked on. I would think that first hand experience would be useful. I also understand that people object to the technical claims he makes - reading his website irritates the heck out of me because of the many false arguments he makes. (in good faith or not) I am NOT defending his technical claims. He is his own worst enemy, it seems to me.

Schulte has patents. Check the USPTO site for these patent numbers 8203224, 8508057 and 820322. I expect you made a good faith search, but failed to find those. Good faith efforts don't always yield reliable results.

I have heard an upgradecompany upgraded Marantz integrated and CD player, specifically these: https://positive-feedback.com/Issue59/upgrade.htm. (I write for PF) I did not hear either before the upgrades so I cannot speak to the changes. I have, however, heard quite a few preamps, CD players in my system as a reviewer for nearly 20 years, with lots of terrific stuff and some gear I would not spend 1/10 of the asking price on. There was little on the surface to suggest either Marantz should be an exceptional performer The upgraded stuff was really good sounding, in or near the top tier of gear I've heard. The preamp section of the Marantz handily beat the line level and phono section of my E.A.R. Yoshino 864 preamp in a pretty resolving system. That gave me pause to consider Schulte's work.

I'm not: a) trying to persuade anyone to use his services; b) defending his technical claims.

However, in a hobby involving experience (listening?) there is a dearth of experience in this thread. Just sayin.

Also late to the party. The first patent does indeed exist. Some kind of a power generator using a chamber of gas modulated at some frequency. o_O Relevance, I don't know, but it does exist.

From the website:

"Page information last updated: 20/04/2017

Are we not going to talk about the fact that the website was published on 4/20? :rflmao:

Seriously though, before I read the entire thread and found the guy actually exists, I honestly thought from reading the copy that it was a fake site and this was clear evidence. :smoke: Or should I say :beatnik:. :D

Back
Top Bottom