The use of "B" speaker outputs. Why do you do it?

Why do you use B speaker outputs

• Total voters
Just upgraded from a Rotel RX-1052 where A terminals were my "A" speakers and B terminals were a Stax headphone adapter switchable to my "B" speakers; to a Primare I32 with only one pair of speaker outputs. I love the Primare; but it's a PIA to switch to headphones. I may have to put bananas on everything. That would be tough with the Stax box.

I use the B speaker outs to feed a subwoofer in my bedroom system (Pioneer SX-626) using Music Hall Marimbas.

Sub is not absolutely necessary, but it definitely helps, and since I have it, why not.

I use the A side to drive indoor JBL 4313Bs. When the female of the house is watching TV or we have a pool/patio get together, or I just want to sit outside and smoke a pipe or cigar and look for UFOs, then the B side feeds a pair of outdoor JBLs.

I know younger folks probably won't relate, but I remember when manufacturers stopped wiring the output stages in parallel.
Your system sounded much better, but the amp sections ran hotter.
After the early '80's, most receiver's outputs were wired in series and you got half as much output with twice as many speakers engaged.
Annoying. That was one of the first times I realized (after having been out of the hi-fi market for a while) that mass market quality was on its way
into a death spiral. The BPC plague was upon us. Easier to see now than then.

Last edited:
I run a Rotel RSS-900 speaker switch box through Speaker A, which has 5 pairs of speakers hooked into it, so in my case B is neglected.
rotel_rss-900_speaker_selector.jpg
photo from hifiengine.

Speakers B is very convenient for my setup. Speakers A - upgraded Realistic Minimus 7 + Sony SA-W10 #1 (powered sub), Speakers B - Realistic MC - 1000 + Sony SA-W10 #2. A or B lets me listen to either set of speakers +1 sub but mostly its on A & B listening to all 4 speakers + both subs.

I have 2 Yamaha r-s300 amps. Both amps have A and B wired to Yamaha ceiling speakers installed throughout my home, including alfresco. . 8 speakers in total all of which utilise both the left and right channels. The main drivers have double windings accompanied by duel tweeters for left and right channels.

At the moment I only use “A” but I have a niles speaker selector box...and my unit is under construction.
But when done I’ll hook up the niles..and see what happens..
May run 2 powered subs off my B on 2 amps.

the Right side is my amp section.

Attachments

• 250B600E-12DE-42E3-AD99-2E6A2CD0DFF2.jpeg
    250B600E-12DE-42E3-AD99-2E6A2CD0DFF2.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 4
In my old pro-logic setup I left the "B" disconnected. But I'd turn it to "B" + 3-channel at night when I watched TV so that only the center channel speaker would play so I wouldn't disturb anyone sleeping.

Many amps have outputs for 2 pair of speakers....... Do you use them and why?

Or why use B-outputs when you have an excuse for another complete amp?
I have 2 Yamaha R-S300 amps both using A and B outputs, powering 8 duel voice coil Yamaha ceiling speakers throughout my home. I'm wired for sound.

I voted for 2nd pair different room because that's what I used to do when I had multiple outputs. I didn't read all the way down to glasses/high pants, which is more appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom