The Vintage High End Separates Thread

I could toss my Conrad Johnson PV14L into the fray here--it's my first "high end" component and I can tell a difference from the Hafler it replaced. The sound is full, rich, and the soundstage is totally locked in, compared to the Hafler (which was plenty good for my past usage, but I now hear its shortcomings). This pre uses the somewhat obscure Mullard M8080 tubes. I tried some 6C4s but found any of those I tried were highly microphonic. The military CV4058/M8080 from Mullard is the shizz here. I have one spare set at the moment, but will likely get a few more sets as funds allow, since they are not too expensive at the moment.

The power amp isn't a high-end manufacturer per se, but it's a Nak PA-7, designed by the (in)famous Nelson Pass and using the Stasis technology, same as the Threshold power amps back in the day. I am debating recapping it and keeping it, or getting one of the Conrad Johnson MF series MOSFET power amps to match the preamp.

I came from a Carver M500t power amp; I can't say it was a fantastic amp, but the "t" (transfer function) modification voiced it similar to a high-end amp, and I have to say the Carver was a lot more musical than the crappy Rotel I had in my system briefly (talk about a bland, antiseptic sounding amp that had no cojones whatsoever). And despite the rating of the PA-7 being 200 watts/channel vs. the Carver's 251 w/ch, the PA-7 just has a lot more "oomph" than the Carver (which seems to run out of steam--the PA-7 plays through dynamics far more effortlessly than the Carver could ever hope to).

I considered tube amps, but given the heat and power usage and ongoing expense of tube changes, plus my desire to give my speakers a full 200 watts, I am still not sold on that idea. I'd want an amp that put out at least 150 watts per channel, perhaps more. And in tube land, that gets very pricey. I haven't ruled it out (I like the CJ Premier 140, a pair of Premier 12s, or one of VTL's power amps), but I also start reminding myself how impractical it could be to own these.

Currently running vintage separates in both systems. Berning TF-10 and Counterpoint SA-12 in one and Music Reference RM-5 MK III and BEL 1001 MK II in the other.

I'll throw in an Accuphase P-300, Luxman 5C50 and 5M21 amp with a Pioneer PL-L1000 as the vinyl source. As much as I like the 5M21 it just isn't quite the P-300. Very close though.

Second the P-300 and add the following:
C-200 Pre-Amp (2 adjustable phono inputs along with impedance matching)
T-100 AM/FM Tuner
T-101 FM only Tuner
(Wish I still had these but lost them during a burglary when in a storage unit)
Had all of these into Altec 19s,K-Horns,Mirage 990s (at different periods of time).

Cheers
Hermit

That is some really decent vintage gear, sorry for your loss!
Regards,
Jim

What does the word - vintage - mean? Maybe this has already been covered and I simply didn't find it. I would suggest a period of time, say, 30 years?...

On the other hand, I believe the term - high end - means nothing due to the subjective interpretation based on the individual experiences all audiophiles have had.

Good listening.

I would humbly submit the Technics 1981 separates of SE-A7,St-S8 & SU-A8. While only offering a benign 60 wpc, these pieces will astonish you just how strong and flexible they are!.Another great feature is that the dual transformer power amp can be mono bridged to make a 150 watts per amp. The only other pwr amp tuner preamp combo I liked the sound of were the Heathkits 18000 series! Great sounding gear!
DC .

This a thread about Vintage High End Components produced by those companies specializing in that type of gear. These would include Mark Levinson, Audio Research etc, and only the tube separates from Fisher, Marantz, Sherwood, Fairchild and others. Let's see who has knowledge of or experiance with these highly desirable units.

Regards,
Jim
Greetings, i own McIntosh and jbl equipment made in 1970's to mid 80's.

The ultimate seperates from Sansui. Don't think they're vintage as of yet but will be soon.
B/C2302 Vintage 1990

images-3.jpeg images-1.jpeg 2017-03-25-19-12-26--810267999.jpeg

B2302

Rating of a modeFormStereo power amplifierOutput power (20Hz - 20kHz)300W+300W (8ohms)THD0.003% (20Hz - 20kHz)Cross modulation distortion0.003%(60Hz:7kHz)Frequency characteristicDC-300kHz+0 -3dBInput sensitivity/impedanceNormal: 1V/15kohm
Balanced: 2V/10kohmSlew rate±300v/microsecRise time±0.5microsecSN ratio120dBWAIT-TIME distortionBelow a limit-of-measurement valueEnvelope distortionBelow a limit-of-measurement valueDimensionsWidth 474x height 215x depth of 500mmWeight37kg

I have the following that I purchased just out of high school in the early 70's
Mac MC2100 amp
Mac C28 pre amp
Mac MR73 tuner

I started with my audio when I was 16. I worked part time while in high school and saved all my money. The one piece of audio gear that I wish I still had was a Harmon Kardon Citation 1 preamp. The HK was driving a Dynaco ST 70. Those were traded in for the Mac gear.

SAE thought at the time when they first got in the business they were better than Mcintosh, Citation, or Marantz. I had a pair of their original graphic EQs. In fact I still have one today, thats been repaired twice, mainly replacing capacitors. Unfortunately they decided to go main stream instead of staying with the original concept. Un fortunatly the fit and finish didn't match up with the others either.

Back
Top Bottom