The voyager golden record

sloober

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_Golden_Record

Was just reading the story of the voyager golden record. While a cool idea and they seem to have included lots of earth sounds and such, do they think that there are turntables in space? How are the aliens supposed to play it? They should have sent one along, or something.

My favorite tidbit was a joke by father Guido Sarducci...the first message from extraterrestrials was being received. Once decoded, the message stated, "Send more Chuck Berry."

As I recall, there were basic visual instructions on how to play the record.
Remember, records can be played by purely mechanical means. They should have sent a grammophone along with it. :)

Hey, if it was meant to be played at 16 RPM, does that mean if it fell into my backyard, I could play in on my Dual? :D

Or if they finally figure out how to play it but backwards! We all know what bizarre, demonic sounds come from playing stuff reverse. We would probably be attacked and completely obliterated.

http://goldenrecord.org/

voyager_craft-browse.jpg

voyager-records.jpg

It Sounds as if NASA knows that advanced space civilizations far in advance of ours,use turntables.......:smoke:

Maybe when we meet our first advanced civilization,on their own planet,we had better take along a crate of half speed masters,direct to discs and some of our better reissues.....:D

Is the audio of this record available anywhere? That would be interesting to hear.

Nevermind...it is at the link above. Doh!

I have had a special fascination with the interstellar record since I read Sagan's " Cosmos " for the first time as a kid. A perfect example of American innovation and production. It will last a VERY long time!

NASA did send the record player along with the record. A cartridge and stylus were enclosed with the record and attached to the spacecraft.

They shoudda sent a sample of Mike Fremer's DNA so that the extra-terrestrials could clone analogue set-up mavens to tweak the playback.

That is Michael Fremer.
Also, at present speed, that toy of a spacecraft will take 80,000 years to get to the nearest star [assuming that it is heading in the right direction]. Only 2 1/4 light years away and space travel technology might never approach, let alone exceed light speed.

listened to the sample in the link..........might be my new "test album"..........tested, when I'm confronted with what Ben Franklin said about fish and visitors

Back
Top Bottom