The w1jim Living room system

w1jim

I can fix it but good...
Subscriber
Ooh, a new forum to show off and share our toys - and timely too since I just finished refurbing my new-to-me SX-1980 and set it up this morning.
(Let's see if the wife notices).

Pioneer SX-1980
Pioneer PL-L1000 / M97xe
Pioneer CT-F1250
NAD 515BEE CDP
Sony CDP-X8ES CD Changer
Sony XDR-F1HD HD Tuner / modded
dbx 3bx Series II
Homebrew Aux Selector
Klipsch Forte' / modded
Ohm Walsh2

The Forte's are on either side of the (ho-hum) TV system whereas the Ohms are on the other side of the livingroom on either side of the fireplace.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P2181205.jpg
    P2181205.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 492
  • P2181206.jpg
    P2181206.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 490
Whereas the Pioneer tuner is excellent the sensitivity and selectivity of the Sony can't be beat.
They are both using wire dipoles strung up on the curtain rod yet the Sony can pull out weak signals that are adjacent to strong signals that are very listenable while the Pioneer just doesn't have the selectivity to hear them at all.
The Sony wins on raw sensitivity as well.

The Sony has been modded with an analog select switch and the 4 caps removed that hamper the high frequency response.
Soundwise the Sony has significantly superior stereo separation and the background is free of any discernible hiss. The Pioneer on the other hand does have some hiss, even on strong stations. I suspect the Pioneer would be better if it was freshly aligned but I doubt it could compete with the Sony.

The wood sides are a mod I did some time ago. I figured if it's wood, it's good!

The Pioneer SX-D7000 in the picture has sadly been displaced by the SX-1980. Kind of sad really.

attachment.php

Looking great! The sx-1980 looks beautiful, as does everything else. It cleaned up nicely - it's funny to see whether or not the other half notices though. Did she? If not, perhaps a 'polite' twist of the volume knob will get her attention? :) (kidding)

Curious about the dbx expander- do you find that you use it all the time or is it more of something you use occasionally ? Either way, cool set up.

Curious about the dbx expander- do you find that you use it all the time or is it more of something you use occasionally ? Either way, cool set up.
The wife did notice - and then I had to show her how to use it.
The dbx I use all of the time although I'll use less expansion on CDs than on FM/Phono.
I have an extra you should borrow (it's not for sale though).

Hah, nice!

I would love to try out the extra dbx (but not purchase it). Let me know when you're free, maybe there's something I've got laying around you would like to try out in exchange. Playstation 3?...the thought of you playing PS3 did bring a smile to my face :). You might like blu-ray movies though...

Very nice, I owned two pair of Fortes many moons ago.

Hmm, Klipsch and Ohm in the same room: Wonder which receive the most air time? :scratch2::D

Ohm are on my short list of speakers I must audition . . . someday.

Jim- ever post pics of your selector build? Or your nifty amp switch box?

These would be great DIY projects. I know I'd be interested....

Back
Top Bottom