The Waxing Nostalgic Café – – C'mon In

I like Tybrad's Beetle.
I too had one (a '66) in 1977.
I wish that we still had cars that were fixable on the side of the road.
But not so much cars that had to be fixed on the side of the road, though.

I have a twin brother. One day in 1983 my Dad called home from the side Interstate 64 on the eastern side of Afton Mountain in western VA.
He had seized the engine in his '69 Campmobile, hauling a trailer of furniture up the mountain on his way to my other brother in Colorado.
My twin brother and I flipped a coin, and he lost.
So, we hoisted a spare engine into another VW (a Squareback) and he drove it, a toolbox and jack out to Dad.
In a couple of hours, they had the engines swapped and Dad was on his way again.
You can't exercise that level of self-sufficiency with even the simplest of modern cars.
Too bad.

Your tale reminds me of a college car I was once involved with. Freshmen were not allowed to have a car on campus, but we were not to be denied. A bunch of us went together on a 56 Bug with a broken crank...think we scraped together 50 bucks or so to buy it. 25 more for a crank from the junkyard. Got 5 big football players to lift up the rear while one of the guys slid under & loosened the bolts dropping the engine onto a tire. Picked it up and hauled it into the dorm, plunking it down on a sheet of cardboard. A few hours later the crank was in and it was back outside with the motor and the footballers did their duty.
By this time we had enough cash for 5 gallons of gas and a full crankcase...but no license tabs. That year, Minnesota "year tabs" were orange...so we just painted 'em onto the plates. Since our college was "out in the country", we could backroad it to town and fun. Kept it hidden in the woods until needed. At the end of the year, sold it to an upperclassman for 100 bucks.

1959-62 was an interesting time. We moved a bit out from the city to a more rural setting and mom and dad built a house with the help of some friends and relatives.

Here's me "inspecting" the footers, ......... with my dog Echo (named after the satellite) , .........and who didn't love mom's home cooking !?

Footer inspection 59.jpg

Fireplace 61-3.jpg

Kitchen 61.jpg

Last edited:
A&W drive ins....best fries in town bar none!

BW-A-W-1950s-.jpg

We had one of these a couple miles from my house when I lived in Fairborn, Ohio. For me the draw was the root beer and the chili dogs !!
Got a A&W 2 miles from my house now, still has great root beer, just closed for the season 2 weeks ago summers over!

Don't know about fries, but A&W had the best onion rings ever!

Here's me with my Heathkit code practice oscillator a very long time ago. I think my dad built most of it. Never did completely learn Morse code.
View attachment 1040352

In those days, men had basically ONE style of eyeglass frames available (which you are so gracefully modeling), women had those hot-looking "Cat`s Eye" numbers.... :)

img_0515_3.jpg

For me, here in the southeast, it's the Myrtle Beach Pavilion. I can't believe they tore it down.
First time I went there, I was 4 years old.

Back
Top Bottom