The Waxing Nostalgic Café – – C'mon In

tumblr_oii81sAxlq1r9qhhio1_1280.jpg

crosman-guns-1.jpg

Last edited:
Picnics in our back yard. But what’s with this cocktail party pose? Someone must have been playing Peter Lemongello.
3065A657-0668-4DE4-AD36-3E392F83DFB7.jpeg

You would love visiting downtown Manitou Springs, Colorado--they have literally dozens of arcade games. Classic video games and pinball machines, all the stuff that we would have grown up with. So many, that they keep some of the games in a covered area out doors, along with a handful of buildings. My daughter and I would spend at least an hour down there after dinner on our road trip back in August. Great times!

E.J. Korvette's was mentioned earlier. Not only did it have a great "wrecka stow," we used to get all of our film developed there. They also had an audio equipment room with a wall of all the different speakers they sold. We used the store in Roseville, MI at 12 Mile and Gratiot. It was only about four miles from the house. Bought my own first "stereo" there, a green plastic G.E. contraption that used the same record changer as the popular G.E. Wildcat model.

Our area also had Hudson's Department Stores. (This was acquired by Dayton's, then by Marshall Fields, and finally the whole mess was assimilated by Macy's.) The best Hudson's stores, aside from the massive downtown location, were the large stores they built in the suburbs at Northland, Eastland, and Westland malls. Southland Mall had one also, but it was somewhat scaled back; Northland's was the largest. My grandmother worked at Hudson's downtown, and we had visited the Eastland Mall location since my grandparents lived only a couple of miles away. That was back before they enclosed all of Eastland to make it an indoor mall. Today, sadly, Macy's has closed up a lot of these classic locations. In fact, Northland Mall was the world's largest shopping center when it opened in 1954. As of today, it is slowly being demolished. Macy's closed up on the 61st anniversary of the mall's opening.

Anyone else in the Detroit area also remembers Sander's ice cream and cake stores, and their soda fountains. Cunningham Drugs. S.S. Kresge stores. Woolworth's. "Monkey Wards." Grinnell's music stores. Lewis Artist Supply. Grocery stores such as Chatham and Great Scott!. Our local soda pop makers were Towne Club and Faygo, and Vernor's had its own unique spin on a soft drink. Stroh's beer...and Stroh's ice cream (their business diversion during Prohibition). Hockey fans remember Olympia Stadium. Rock fans probably remember Cobo Arena. ;) A big one for us was Bob-Lo Island, and the three Bob-Lo boats used to take passengers from the dock in Detroit over to the Bob-Lo amusement park. And many of us still call the theater in Clarkston "Pine Knob."

The entire corner of the state had the 313 area code. Today there are at least five. 313, 810, 248, 586, 734, and they started with overlays a few years ago.

Not many remember how we traveled between east and west in the suburbs prior to I-696 being built. (We lived a mile away from it, so we got to see it being built.) Fewer still remember the original plan to make Mound Road into an expressway. The oversized interchange at I-696 and Mound is the only remaining piece of that puzzle. The expressway would have started off of the east end of the Davison Freeway, run up the current Mound Road, then cut over at 18½ Mile Rd. to connect to the M-53 freeway. As a result, there is no direct north/south freeway through this part of the suburbs, and all of the major north/south roads get jammed up during rush hours.

In Elizabeth, NJ, there were two well-stocked record stores....Vogel`s (on the corner of Broad St. & E. Grand St.), and Alwilk`s Records, diagonally across the street, about 50 yards away. Alwilk`s always priced their LPs a little lower....
upload_2017-11-9_17-4-2.png

Now HERE`S a flashback....Flo & Eddie, at The Morris Stage, Morristown NJ, circa 1977. They performed a hilarious skit where they combined "Saturday Night Fever" and "Jaws"....they came out onto the stage with huge shark fins on their backs, and to the tune of "Stayin` Alive", proceeded to sing "Jaws, jaws, jaws, jaws....Eat `em alive, eat `em alive...." too funny !

upload_2017-11-9_17-20-20.png

Somebody mentioned Monkey Wards up above. I got in a "catalog" from them yesterday in the mail. It's not the same company, but someone trading off on the name. I just tossed it in the garbage.

I have a pair of Marantz speakers my parents bought for me circa 86 or 87 that came from the Montgomery Wards in Blytheville, AR. My dad got our first VCR there. I remember their automotive department putting a cruise control on his 1981 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. I worked there right after getting married in 1995. I worked for them about 4 months until my other job turned into a full time job. It was a decent job for part time.

Remember those tiny catalogs that used to come in the mail with all kinds of junky gifts to buy? Harriet Carter, Lillian Vernon, etc. I always got a kick out of this particular ad:

personalmassager1.jpg

You just never know when you might have a sore neck - and four different sizes!! (some women have longer necks, you know)

If I didn't have this exact one, I had one just almost like it. It had animals with it. Christmas Eve night 1977 on a Saturday night. I was just barely 4 years old, but I remember it being a Saturday night because Hee Haw was on TV, and my parents were as faithful to watching Hee Haw as they were to going to church on Sunday! :p

s-l640.jpg

Back
Top Bottom