The way it used to be...

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by dondoucette, Jan 5, 2019.

1. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume Addicted Member

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Route 66

Route 66 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Ah, the good ol' days. :beerchug:

I miss being outside (unsupervised) until my father got home form work. I miss my parents asking me how my day at schools was while we ate dinner. I miss tossing the TV Guide back and forth in the living room with my family and having only three real channel choices when the family sat around the TV after dinner. My sister and I would always have a say in what we watched on our only television set and we were always the ones that had to get up to change the volume level and the channel we watched. :D I miss being able to go to the movies with my friends on the weekend and that my folks didn't have to worry about a rating system.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Judas Priest likes this.
  3. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

Nostalgia is innocence remembered, not knowing good times weren't good for everyone.
    I miss innocence past, and ignorance of things I cannot unlearn or forget about how badly folks can treat others without guilt or accountability. People haven't changed, awareness has. The tree of knowledge bears bitter fruit with the sweet.

ETLS, sfox52, louisjames and 2 others like this.
  4. the skipper

the skipper Amateur Curmudgeon Subscriber

Growing up in the 50's and 60's, I recall having 7 TV stations that signed off with the star spangled banner at midnight to choose from, and I felt lucky for that.

I remember walking 3/4 mile to the movie theater with my best friend to see the Saturday double features for 35 cents.

I remember listening to Jean Shepard on WOR AM between 10:15 and 11:00 pm in the evening. Also, Cousin Brucie on WABC.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Jack Lord, Pio1980 and Harvestor like this.
  5. kaplang

kaplang Works for me ! Subscriber

The bicycle rides me and my friends did to Hansen Damn to swim and fish in the summer.

Just one of many things.

Pio1980 likes this.
  6. zebra03

zebra03 All Audio - NO BS

When our town got a Howard Johnson's restaurant and we would go there for fancy eating out meals .

[​IMG]

Or the little country store that was within walking distance . It was also the place where we would stop after church . I remember my dad coming out with ring bologna , penny candy and shotgun shells all in one visit !

srm51555, John James and Harvestor like this.

7. Harvestor

Harvestor Super Member

I know it might be easier said than done but..
    You being the head of household and their father implement exact same things as best you can start out with one weekend a month build it to three weekends a month show them exactly by example take away all the devices. After 1 p.m. Saturday and Sunday and then gradually get them to not have their devices at all from Friday evening until Sunday afternoon.. then try Friday till Monday..
    I don't know I'm just thinking it would be an interesting experiment.
    Then during the week take all the devices away from dinner time until one hour before bed.
    And think Amish..!
    Or use the Amish as an example tell your kids it could be worse they could have grew up Amish!

8. Harvestor

Harvestor Super Member

So much of what you guys are saying rings true with my life..
    Getting pulled over for going 41 miles an hour over speed limit and just paying a $45 fine with two points...
    Today they'd yank your license and put you in jail for a night.. and you'd be paying hundreds of dollars fines for the ticket

Doesn't seem like the progress of freedom but something else very much the opposite of freedom

9. Harvestor

Harvestor Super Member

10. Mystic

Mystic We're all born mad

- My grandparents (father's side), esp. bubbe.

- My grandparents' monthly "at homes", one Sunday per month, spent with (mostly) musician friends & their family members doing (mainly) Gospel but also some Blues sing-along things. My grandmother was huge -- literally and figuratively (hey, a double entendre) -- @ The South Side "roots" music scene, Chicago circa 1960s-mid 1970s. Grandparents even hosted a regular weekly "roots" radio programme spot on Chicago's WVON. Chicago's South Side had quite a lot of Gospel and Blues talents, many of them our neighbors, friends, and even a geetar teacher pour moi.

- Hubert Sumlin (see 'geetar teacher' above)

- Aragon "Brawlroom", the place where I first witnessed British Rock Bands and early metal, e.g., Black Sabbath, Ten Years After, Humble Pie, Deep Purple, and others, starting around 1971.

- Chicago pub-style pizza. (nb: it's actually still available, but it's far, far from me)

- Street cars capable of pullin' 12s "bought off the lots" of the Nicky Chevrolet and Mr Norm's Grand-Spaulding Dodge dealerships.

- So much more.

- Cutting an ad out of a Boy's Life magazine, putting the ad along w/ a $5 bill in an envelope, sending it to (usually) Florida, and receiving 1-2 weeks later a "live" baby alligator (a cayman, actually) @ our mailbox in Chicago. No shit.

noogies and KeninDC like this.
  11. PanheadXR290

PanheadXR290 Active Member

#1 The Sears catalog ,my sex Ed came from the woman's bra ads .

#2 Neighbors who weren't vampire shut in assholes you have to sock to get to stop lighting off firecrackers in September at 4am.

#3 The police making me pour out a bag of smoke and letting me off with a warning.

#4 I miss civility between Americans the most ,like how people used to help with flat tires to be neighborly ,now some dude with hairy knuckles wearing a dress pulls over and asks some obscene garbage ,that's when I'm thankful for living in an open carry state .

danrclem and Harvestor like this.

12. bbqjoe

bbqjoe Void where Prohibited Subscriber

Chasing the bug spraying truck...OMG, we did that too.

Fighting with brothers and sisters over who got to stand on the hump in the car.
    Watching cartoons that were actually funny.
    Laurel and Hardy on a Sunday morning.

Being able to have pockets filled with stuff that didn't get you labeled for life, thrown in jail, or called a terrorist.
    At any one time in my childhood I most likely had in my pockets:
    A pocket knife, some matches, a few firecrackers, an odd bullet or two, a crumpled up boob ripped from somebody's dad's playboy magazine, a few cigarettes in a sucrets tin....and that was just a front pocket. :)

Riding a bicycle a mile uphill both ways, and getting a huge ice cream cone at baskin robbins for a dime.
    Trusting almost everyone.

Getting a prize out of a crackerjack box you could actually play with or even choke on!
    Stealing a kiss on a playground without being branded as a sex offender for life.

Beating the crap out of someone on the playground, then becoming best friends.

Just doing all the things kids today can't even imagine or dream about.

Life was complicated, but yet, seemed so much simpler.

13. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

The next town up the highway got the first ever Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant in the 1950s when I was a kid. It was really good and the meal events there something special.
    https://www.deseretnews.com/article/700217162/Story-of-first-KFC-shows-anything-can-happen.html

zebra03 likes this.
  14. Dude111

Dude111 Analogue is Awesome

Everything..... Everything is pure crap now compared to when I was young......

Better music,better stuff on TV,etc..... I could goto an arcade and play GOOD GAMES.... Now all there is IS CRAP IN 99% OF ARCADES.......

Better made clothes,etc.......

I really hate how the world started dying in the late 70s when this digital crap started ruining things.....

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 8:06 AM
    Jack Lord likes this.
  15. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

[​IMG]

Harvestor likes this.
  16. jlh3rd

jlh3rd Active Member

25 cent sleek streek (balsa wood airplane)....the ice cream truck....scrounging pop bottles for the refund money to buy, well, sleek streeks...or ice cream......playing in the hose cause no one had a pool....neighborhood 4th of july BBQ's with any type of fireworks available ( we all lived).....my dad's BBQ, it was to die for.....homemade ice cream ( i still make mine)......playing outside all day ( and most of the night) during the summer .......shooting our bb guns and not getting arrested for it.......25 cent saturday movie at the neighborhood theatre.......saturday morning, first a tarzan movie,or abbot and costello, or a road picture,or laurel and hardy, or some "b" horror flick, then cartoons ( the good ones), then sky king, my friend flicka, fury,...later abc WW of sports........and when older such as high school, playing tackle or touch football on the schools football field all day running up and down the 100 yds.......man, were we in shape....

the skipper likes this.

17. rickiroo

rickiroo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Riding my bike to little league games...well, riding my bike pretty much everywhere…...Estes rockets...….. Cox .049 engine line control airplanes.....as said before, running through the ddt fog...…stealing the scrap wood from construction sites and building forts.....getting yelled at for sledding down the street....pond hockey.....building snow forts and having massive snow ball fights.....throwing snow balls at cars and getting chased by big teenagers whose car you hit.
    Kids nowadays have no idea how to have fun.

18. Audiotfoot

Audiotfoot AK Subscriber Subscriber

What everyone one else has said plus having Mom and Dad to take care of problems and not being aware of all the crap that went on in the world. Not everyone had that, and I feel for them. Now I am security for my children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Yes, my children are married and playing that role for their children and grandchildren, but we still lean on each other at times though we are separated by sometimes thousands of miles.

19. Ds2000

Ds2000 Oh THOSE speakers. Subscriber

If being nostalgic, then nearly everything was better then.
    If being present-minded, well then I prefer now, despite the shortcomings and sometimes ugly realities.
    I’m pretty happy with today, especially where I am in it.

20. Tommy_B

Tommy_B Active Member

The thing I miss most is how everything was an adventure, especially at 10-12 years old.

Like going out at night to catch nightcrawlers.
    Like getting up at the crack of dawn and riding our bikes to some new fishing pond or stream that someone told us about, each time taking us farther and farther from home.
    Like playing sports with all the kids in the neighborhood.
    Like smoking cigarettes for the first time.
    Like playing poker for actual money.