The WEATHER...how much does it effect you?

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by Quadman2, May 12, 2018.

1. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

Today was really strange!

The sun was really warm, high in the sky. Inside the car comfortable, even a little on the toasty side. But, the wind outside was really cool, bordering on cold requiring long sleeves, and in the shade, a light coat would have been necessary.

And it's the 14th of May!:eek:

The Earth is warming up?...well, not in the mid northern part of the hemisphere it sure ain't!

Spring should have sprung by now.

Q

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Excellent topic for a thread, Quadman2. In response to your question, my 44 years thus far have been just about evenly divided between residing in my native state of Michigan and eventually moving to Illinois at 20. The older I get, the less tolerant I've become of the sometimes seemingly never-ending stretches of winter weather in the Upper Midwest. I can withstand being baked in the summer, at times drowned via rain during spring showers, and wearing out my lower back while raking and bagging leaves in the fall. I'm right up against the outer limit of of tolerance in regard to anywhere from six to 20 inches of snow, "black ice" on sidewalks/streets, deadly icicles hanging from residential gutters, small businesses, and skyscrapers; impatient drivers sliding all over the road, into each other, or onto the curb; layering clothes, risking cardiovascular trauma while shoveling, and a host of other delights that come with the one season I can barely stand unless I'm indoors observing it through a window: winter. My wife and I have only a few years left on the mortgage and as soon as this bad boy is paid off, we're getting the hell out of dodge en route to points due south. Preliminary discussions have centered on South Carolina, New Mexico, or even Mississippi. Both of us have resided at some locale along the shores of Lake Michigan the duration of our lives and are sick of residing here. We visited Seattle for the first time in 1996 and immediately fell in love with the climate. It was mentioned in the aforementioned discussion, but my wife has a problem with the liberal-leaning politics and elevated cost of living. With an average temperature of 41 degrees fahrenheit during the winter and a ceiling of around 76 in the summer (stats per wikipedia), I'll gladly overlook both and the excessive amount of rain. I just don't want to see/deal with any more snow!

IPADave and Quadman2 like this.
  3. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

KDAC likes this.
  4. IPADave

IPADave AK Subscriber Subscriber

I couldn't have stated my view of winter any better.

-Dave

KDAC likes this.
  5. www.records

www.records Quality over Quantity

If I can't fix it, I don't worry about it. This might be as good as it gets, so I choose to enjoy it. It could be a hell of a lot worse. Don't pet the sweaty stuff.

6. SmileyFaceEQ

SmileyFaceEQ New Member

Calgary is a weird place with respect to weather.

Winter:
    Temperature swings from -30C to +15C in a 24 hour period resulting from warm pacific "Chinook" westerly winds.
    These temperature swings cause physical symptoms and in some cases migraine headaches. In winter, when its been -20C or colder for 3 weeks in a row, the sun rises after getting to work and sets before leaving the office, it can be depressing.
    SAD'S (Seasonal affective disorder) is not uncommon. Winter is long and wares on you if your favorite activities include: bicycles, motorcycles, golf, cars, and being out in the sun.
    Winter benefits are learning and honing skills or acquiring new ones. Playing hockey.

If your dog won't go outside it's too cold.

Summer:
    Extra long days - June 21st: twilight at 10:30 - 11 pm, hot and dry 20-32C not much rain....it's a sunny place.
    I do a backflip out of bed every day in the summer.

You can put a sweater on, but you can't take your skin off.

Please register to disable this ad.