The 'What's the dumbest self-inflicted injury you ever had' thread

Also stepped on a bee at least once.

Reminds me of when I was a kid, at my Mom's company picnic at a park. I was screwballing around, climbing up the slide backwards. I got about halfway up and there was a bee under the edge of the slide that I obviously couldn't see. When my fingers wrapped around the edge, somehow that SOB nailed me right in the skin between my middle finger and ring finger. It swelled up, and I involuntarily made the "live long and prosper" gesture for a while...

Ouch.

I got a horrible sheet metal story that happened to a friend of mine. He was building himself a big shed with metal panels for the roof. This guy is accident prone, I tell you what. He's a big bear of a man and can really work but you gotta watch out what you hire him for lest he kill himself. I keep him on the ground if he does work at my place. So he and another friend (master carpenter) were putting the roof on. Carpenter was up in the rafters ready to receive sheet metal. There was some kind of an overhanging piece of lumber, I don't know what, above him. So bear-man is sitting cross-legged for some reason, the sheet leaning against the building, and he picks up the bottom end and pushes it up to carpenter guy, who grabs it. But the push is a little too hard, and it hits the overhanging framing. It's wet and dewy, so the upper guy (who's pulling) loses his grip when it hits the obstacle, and the sheet goes back down the way it came, slicing into bear-man's thigh, because he's also wearing shorts on the jobsite while he's sitting cross-legged under this heavy sharp piece of sheet metal. Hell, I don't know why either! He has no insurance and doesn't want to go in for stitches, but after 2 days he's got a fever and infection and ends up in the hospital with IV antibiotics anyway. Turned out OK but Lordy.

Also stepped on a bee at least once. We had quite a crop of clover in the lawn and there were always bees.

But really, who Didn't step on bees and nails as a kid?

That reminds me...

A few weeks ago I stepped on a scorpion because I didn't turn the bathroom light on. That felt like ten bees or five rusty nails, only the pain lasted for two days and I couldn't feel my toes for five.

currently...
I've been building an awning over a new sliding door that I installed in a bedroom. I'm getting ready to do the roof. I've opted for corrugated steel, as it is quick and easy, and long lasting.
So, I cut a panel, and put it up on the roof to size it. There is a ladder right there, ready for me to use.
Do I use it? Nah, the panel is only 4.5' long, no problem...
Nah, I just reach higher, on my toes, and I go to shove the panel into place. Something went glitch in my shoulder.

Holy criminy, I can barely hold my arm up now without some brace. My shoulder is screaming at me something fierce.

I hate to say it but you may have damaged your rotator cuff.

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000438.htm

Diagnosing your shoulder pain:
https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/how-to-self-diagnose-your-shoulder-pain

Hopefully it's a temporary thing but if it doesn't get better you gon' hafta see someone 'bout dat.

When i was a sound guy me and my best buddy were taking down a disco system from a tour boat in Baltimores inner Harbor. Amp rack was made of 1/2" birch plywood and had those metal corners. Amp rack had 2 DC300a's, a D150A, and 2 electronic crossovers and 2 fans and a power strip. The rack wouldn't fit between the stair railings so we had to lift it up and just slide it down the railings. It was summer and as we were taking it from the railings back to the deck, my buddy lost his grip as his wet glove slipped off. I couldn't hold it up myself but really tried hoping my buddy would re-grab it. Nope. That metal corner came down right on my left big toe. Took my breath away! A few minutes later I decided to look at the damage. took shoe off. I could see a nice outline of my big toe nail in blood. I decided to NOT take the sock off as all the parts were still in there. Took 2 months to heal. NO MORE SCHLEPPING SOUND GEAR FOR ME.

I blame the stairway - what kind of a stairway is that narrow...OH. A boat. :rolleyes:

At least the rack didn't end up at the bottom of the harbor.

Most have viewed "The Christmas Story" with the leg lamp, right?

Well, in the middle of winter as a kid I just had to check out the old myth of what happens when you stick our tongue out to a piece of metal. It is NO myth!:rolleyes:

So, I can relate to the kid in the flag pole scene in the movie. And those with the smirk on their faces right now prob know many others who met this same fate. I ain't alone!

Q

Last edited:
I've sawn the tip of my thumb with a table saw, planed the bottom of the other with a joiner, and stopped a slowly rotating chop saw with my index finger. Be glad I didn't take pictures of any of those dumbass moves. Throw in 27 broken bones, over 150 stitches, three spinal surgeries, and one hernia surgery and I feel like I'm 150 some days. Lesson to learn: never let you son join the military, play football, or become a carpenter.

Man you guys are some clumsy mo fo's.;)
The dumbest thing I did was try to repair a cabinet that housed some 440 volt transformers. Someone had ran a fork lift into it and ripped off the conduit that the cables went through. I fabricated some brackets to repair it but needed to reach inside while someone on the outside started some screws. I asked a co-worker to start the screws and he said he would not, but he would stand by and dial 9-1....and when I start frying he'll push the other 1. I found a thick rubber mat to stand on and still got lit up. Would of been easy to flip the breaker but the machine it was for is a PITA to re-boot. Stupid.

I pulled so hard (one armed pull up) while rock climbing, I tore my bicep tendon. Completely tore it while surfing. Had to get it screwed back in.

Wanna see pics of inside of my shoulder? Actually, I haven't looked at them myself. I'm to squeamish.

@ilusndweller
Sarge is now sporting a similar scar on her right forearm, on the outer bone, similar to yours. She took a tumble out in the backyard, a week ago, and, ended up pretty mashed up; nothing broken, just a power wipeout. She needed a few stitches.

Me:
Like I said, I can fill this thread myself.
Latest?
I got a hold of my right saluting finger with a 4lb DeadBlow hammer the other day.
I was smacking a piece of wood into position in some framing that I was doing. I wasn't able to get the travel that I needed due to the head width of the hammer. So, I turned it sideways, not realizing that my finger was now exposed. Reaches back, and wham, finger gets between hammer handle and corner of wooden beam.
Nothing broken, just a nice deep bone bruise.... the kind that are fun to bump, later on.
tekton-deadblowhammer-main-lg.jpg

I've could write a small novel on the things I've done to myself.
2 years ago l knocked a carving knife off the bench and it hit me high on the right foot and severed the tendon to my big toe.
Surgery that night and woke up with a leg cast for 3 months.
Couldn't drive couldn't walk.

Another time l drove a pocket knife through my palm immediately after thinking " l shouldn't be doing this"

Nothing happened!
My 2x8 walking board:
DSCN3749 (1).jpg

Sarge came out, and saw me up on it, and said,.. Really!?! (I was trying to pull it off without her knowing)
Then she gave it high marks for my Carny rigging, and walked away shaking her head.
I don't think that she was impressed with the stacked scrap lumber and the final wedge shim.
She didn't want the Jade plant to be damaged in building the awning. So, we went over it.

Me,... I worked on it for quite a while, and didn't die, or even fall.

Been pretty accident free for 44 years. Did have one incident, drunk, where I thought it was smart to play basketball with the neighbour kids (no shoes). I was M. Jordan, in my drunk mind, for about 10 minutes until I actually dove for a ball; I'm talking full plank position, feet parallel with my body dive. I picked asphalt out of my palms, elbow, shins, under toe nails for 2 months. The kids these days have no idea about sacrifice!

Insisting on casting on windy days; many times...

this is why I wear glasses when fly fishing.

Recently I was slapping the preservative wood stain on my new fence with wild abandon. I mean, I used the sprayer for most of it but had to finish up and catch drips etc with a big brush. Ended up with a big splash across my face, specifically on my sunglasses which made me a very lucky man that day. Noted to self: wear protective eyewear all the time.

Won't tell my most stupid story because it's too stupid. As you were lads
index.php

Made the silly mistake of catching a ride up a paddock on the bonnet of a Ride-On Mower when in late teens, it took a sharp left and I slid off to the right. Lifted my head in time to see the right front wheel go up on my left ankle and then I yelled out!

Rover Rancher and the last model to not have a disengaging leaver/function for the blades.

Lost the inside half of all the heel area down to the centre bone in the heel, a PITA as with age as these things never get better with time (skin grafts) Yeah, don't do much walking these days if i can avoid it. But many folk have bigger issues to deal with.

Should have walked up and not been a lazy bugger :)

Back
Top Bottom