The White Album...Turntable

Blue Shadow

Waiting for Vintage Gear from this century
Probably a decent table, but the Yellow Submarine Table is more entry level.
Now links to no product since these were limited production.
https://www.turntablelab.com/produc...-sb-turntable-the-beatles-white-album-edition

https://www.turntablelab.com/products/pro-ject-the-beatles-yellow-submarine-turntable

There must be some kind of record resurgence going on with all the new products offered, colored vinyl, turntables, accessories and all sorts of things that weren't available just 10 years ago. Anyone know about this resurgence?

Last edited:
Guessing it's the culmination of hipster fascination, advertising with turntables, record store days and news reports showing a resurgence of record buyers at the same time that digital downloads have dropped. I think the Yellow Sub is cute. The White Album looks like a quick spray paint job.

As hard as they might be trying to convince people to move back to vinyl it isn't working here in Florida where I live. The same new LP's sit unsold on the shelves next to their cheap plastic Chinese turntables. They tried a few years back at Target to sell new vinyl and it sat unsold until they marked it down to dirt cheap and then the flippers jump on it to resell on eBay. A while back Target was back at it with their small end cap of LP's for sell, still the same stuff for sell, as no one is buying. And really their idea, the book stores, and even the movies and music store in the mall have no clue on what would sell to these young ones. They pack the shelves with all these same old reissues, and movie theme releases, rather then new music that young people would be interested in buying. .

Good point Ken, I wouldn't have ever thought that big box stores or even Best Buy would try to sell LPs. Fortunately we still have a few decent record stores in Tampa Bay that seem to hang on. Even sell refurbed vintage turntables. When I go there I always seem to be the oldest dude in the joint!:rolleyes:
One thing that never changes, the $1 and $3 racks are busy and the end caps with the new releases at $28 ~ $35 gather dust.

Last edited:
project-beatles-yellowsub-turntable_1800x.jpg

Are we officially at silly yet ?

Let me think, the reason vinyl was popular back in the day was the amount of residual income. Maybe the opposite is true today for young people in Florida? Because the vinyl resurgence is true enough, just as it is true enough that the flippers are selling to people in regions that can afford it. Those with money in Florida that have better equipment and the like are probably getting what they want online and delivered.

Damn this vinyl resurgence! Just lost another auction for a TT where the price took off. Probably som rich hipster in the capitol who snagged it becuase it looks good whith his silly beard :D.

The resurgence doesn't seem to have hit any of my friends. :( That said, I went to a record sale recently and 1) I was impressed with just how many people were there; they also had many CDs for sale, but most people were looking at the records, 2) I was impressed with the wide range of ages of the people there. Maybe I was the youngest one there at 19, but there were a number of people who looked to be in their 20s, middle-aged people, men, women, older people, everyone buying big stacks of LPs. But of course they were used and very cheap ($1 a disc). Going to be harder to get people interested in $20+ new ones, but any interest in vinyl is fine by me.

Check record prices on Discogs. I'd have to say, based on what people are able to sell records for, there's a resurgence. How long it will last is anybody's guess.
Me, when people ask me what kind of turntable to buy, I tell 'em to get a Spotify account.

I find this thread funny because as soon as the word resurgence comes out the topic flips to hipsters.

The money driving a resurgence in record sales and needed equipment is from baby boomers. The youth is not buying gimmick Beetles tables and reissues after reissues of their albums. The youth is not buying special box sets of one album at the cost of $200 of an old artist. They are not buying entire catalog remastered box sets for $450 of old artist. This is all baby boomer driven as is all the recycled music repressed 9 ways to sunday.

I find this thread funny because as soon as the word resurgence comes out the topic flips to hipsters.

The money driving a resurgence in record sales and needed equipment is from baby boomers. The youth is not buying gimmick Beetles tables and reissues after reissues of their albums. The youth is not buying special box sets of one album at the cost of $200 of an old artist. They are not buying entire catalog remastered box sets for $450 of old artist. This is all baby boomer driven as is all the recycled music repressed 9 ways to sunday.

I'm a boomer, and I bitch about the "repressed 9 ways to Sunday" crap allatime. I refuse to take part in it, too. How many times are we supposed to buy the same items from the Blue Note catalog? Or Santana' Abraxas? I don't even own ONE copy of Abraxas.
But that's only a small part of the market. Mostly it's used records changing hands. And in that regard, if I hit Jerry's Records on a Saturday morning, I'm the oldest guy in the store. And since Jerry retired, the store is run by young guys.

I was probably the oldest guy in line waiting to get into The Attic back in April at the last RSD. Two guys in front of me looked like they weren't old enough to drink yet (which probably means they were about 30--to me anyone under 50 looks like they're too young to drink). They were talking about their turntables (one of them had a U-Turn Orbit that he really liked).
When I got in the checkout line, I had one LP. The young guys in front of me were spending hundreds on stacks of RSD specials. I'm on a fixed income, man. Don't have the disposable for that stuff like you young whippersnappers.

if I hit Jerry's Records on a Saturday morning, I'm the oldest guy in the store
Well hell at 63 your probably the oldest guy in all lines you get into;)
Two guys in front of me looked like they weren't old enough to drink yet
Wait

(which probably means they were about 30--to me anyone under 50 looks like they're too young to drink).
I was going to say this:banana:it's true though. Just don't get pulled over by a 25 year old cop, that's embarrassing:p

But your points of view are important and to tell the truth you look at everyone as being younger. That there can drive an opinion as everyone buying records are the youth. I'm a baby boomer at 57, work and don't have any debt, so I have the money splurge. If we look at RSD alone I would be in front of you in line with 1000s of dollars of records, not 100s. I think I must spend about $1500-$2000 a month on records all year long. I go to the store at least 2-3 times a week. Some of what I buy gets resold on the site to members at ruffly my cost, maybe 15%-20% of the used records. But new records really are what pushes up the dollars spent for me as used records in my store are around 3-6 bucks each.

Well hell at 63 your probably the oldest guy in all lines you get into;)

Wait

I was going to say this:banana:it's true though. Just don't get pulled over by a 25 year old cop, that's embarrassing:p

But your points of view are important and to tell the truth you look at everyone as being younger. That there can drive an opinion as everyone buying records are the youth. I'm a baby boomer at 57, work and don't have any debt, so I have the money splurge. If we look at RSD alone I would be in front of you in line with 1000s of dollars of records, not 100s. I think I must spend about $1500-$2000 a month on records all year long. I go to the store at least 2-3 times a week. Some of what I buy gets resold on the site to members at ruffly my cost, maybe 15%-20% of the used records. But new records really are what pushes up the dollars spent for me as used records in my store are around 3-6 bucks each.

Truth is, I do have the money to burn on LPs (and cheap gear) and I do buy a lot of LPs. Burned through 200 inner sleeves since July. I'd spend even more except for the WAF.
But two things: First of all "hipster" isn't a pejorative. I got hipsters in my own family and I happen to enjoy their company.
Secondly boomers get blamed for everything. We can't help that we were born when we were born, it wasn't our choice. We're all shaped by events to a degree. Our parents came of age during the Depression. It either scared them to the point that they were skinflints (like my old man) or they lavished everything on us because they didn't have anything when they were kids.
And if I'm gonna get pulled over, it's probably going to be a 25-year-old cop.

Truth is, I do have the money to burn on LPs (and cheap gear) and I do buy a lot of LPs. Burned through 200 inner sleeves since July.

We can't help that we were born when we were born, it wasn't our choice. We're all shaped by events to a degree.
Just think, the next record resurgence is going to have much better record coverings, plastic outer covers and new inner sleeves, but the same old original cover and vinyl. Hope those folks don't have to suffer all those records being Crosleyed to death before they get to enjoy them. This won't happen for decades since we are still in the first resurgence and man used records are being supplied by those too old to enjoy them. I know there is also the group that has moved on from vinyl to digital.

I think that are a bunch of us here that are shaped more by gravity than events.

Secondly boomers get blamed for everything.
I'm not saying blame anything.

Facts are facts though since after WWII, we had a population explosion ie: baby boomers. The biggest market booms are the ones that follow that generation. That's going to happen all the way to the grave. When we where young kids it was toys, teens it was records, audio and events, later teens and young adults it was the muscle car wars. Then it was housing, and a boom in US jobs and production, then it was sending our kids to collage with the income earned. Then it's empty nester time having fun, travel, remolding homes and buying things we used to have and nostalgia, back to the muscle car, records, audio and events.

The last 15 years the medical industry and everything related to it is booming and next will be Funeral industry.

In fact the DMV is wondering what to do with all the elderly still getting a license. This is going to be fun, the youth driving and texting and the elderly with bad eye sight and reflexes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom