The worst piece of HiFi Equipment you've ever owned?

Inspector_Sw

Audiophilistine
The worst piece of HiFi Equipment you've ever owned?

AK is an amazing forum for the depth and breadth of knowledge and opinions of members from all over the world. We spend a lot of time talking about the best equipment we own, but what of the worst? The models you were most disappointed in, were the most overhyped, represented the worst value for money? It could be very handy reading having a thread with what AK users would most recommend steering clear of, and why. We should keep this in reference to technical, build quality and sonic (dis)pleasure rather than bias or speculation. But hey, your opinion is your opinion, so please, do tell..

Last edited:
The problem is that the field is too broad. For every one piece of great gear there are tens, if not hundreds of poorly designed/constructed units. I will say, though, that as a salesperson and consumer I learned a long time ago to steer clear of Sony equipment. Yet there are plenty of people that love the stuff. Meh...

Oh wait! I just remembered. I got a Harman Kardon "festival" system a few years back that fried itself after about two years. I got a schematic and re-purposed the subwoofer (where all the amps were contained) to be a huge equivalent of a PC sound system. I used it in my band for a PA for small clubs.

Last edited:
Hmm--quite a few, actually, but mostly for the 'overhyped' category that you mentioned. I'd put the HPM-100s I had in there, and their accompanying SX-1280. Those probably represented the biggest let-downs, though they weren't the worst sounding gear I've had. That would probably be a Phase Linear 3000 preamp I had a few years ago. But it was still fun to try it out, just to hear it, even though I didn't like it one bit. It helped steer me towards the Audire Legato preamp that I used for a long time.

A impulse buy at a yard sale was a Panasonic rack system for the Garage a while back, not even good enough for the garage, one of many like a few mid 1980's Fisher rack systems from yard sales etc. I have purchased for cheap, I would pass them on to the kids or their friends and I would be the favorite parent for the day at least.

I bought new in 1973 a Marantz 2270. Totally gutless !
Sold it after 6 months and never looked back.
What a PIECE of $hit~~~~~~~~~
Then I bought a new Pioneer SX-828 ---Ran circles around the Marantz.
Kept the 828 for 17 years and it kicked ass, now I'm into the Pioneer 1250 and I am happy!!!.

Last edited:
MARANTZ 6100 turntable.

I searched and searched for one, loved the look of the Marantz tt's (in pictures) until I bought one off of craigslist. The guy I bought it from was about 100 miles away in a mountain town and was coming to my city, so I met him in a parking lot. He had it boxed up nicely so I really didn't inspect it until I got home. It was in great condition- but very cheaply built in my opinion. Sold it a month later. Now I own a Pioneer PL-550 and a Kenwood KD-750. I love Marantz equipment, but not their tt's.... I don't think Marantz actually manufactured these, did they ??

NAD 4150 tuner...

supposedly top of line with Schotz detector etc...at least according to Stereo review

they had a bad run of chips, I was told...sent it back twice, as the scanning would not stop..

then third one worked, but then picked up 2 stations at same freq ...sold it to a friend and bought a Yamaha !

Sound-wise? McIntosh MC-2100 and C-28, hands-down.
Nothing that is or has been here disappointed me like that pair.

Along those same lines I'd probably throw in my Mac1900. I had thought there would be something magical about how it sounded given the lord-like commentary anything McIntosh made gets- and it was virtually indistinguishable from my Sansui 5000x. Now, I like how the 5000x sounds but it doesn't get lauded over like its going to change your life when you hear it. The 1900 just sounded like another receiver. Nothing more, nothing less. I've heard newer McIntosh gear that i've liked but even then- it didn't make me run out and throw everything I have in the dumpster like some would have you believe.

Along those same lines I'd probably throw in my Mac1900. I had thought there would be something magical about how it sounded given the lord-like commentary anything McIntosh made gets- and it was virtually indistinguishable from my Sansui 5000x. Now, I like how the 5000x sounds but it doesn't get lauded over like its going to change your life when you hear it. The 1900 just sounded like another receiver. Nothing more, nothing less. I've heard newer McIntosh gear that i've liked but even then- it didn't make me run out and throw everything I have in the dumpster like some would have you believe.

I tend to agree, however I ran a MC2100 with a H/K Citation 17s back in the day pushing Janszen Z824's that was the bomb. Tried to push a pair of Green Mountain Audio Continuum 1's with abysmal results using a C28/MC2100 combo, and both were gone through by Terry Dewick! It was one of my top 3 audio disappointments. :sigh:
Synergy at work once again?
Regards,
Jim

Infinity Qa speakers.

Driver compliment was a 10" woofer and an EMIT tweeter.
Infinity advertised that it had the mid-range of a 3-way speaker?

What horse$hit!!

You would need a psychic to FIND the mid-range on those sorry-a$$ designed speakers.

Steve

That Qa was in the company's infancy. Quite inefficient, and a sucked out midrange. Nice cabinetry if I recall though.

Mine would have to be the Carver TX-11 tuner. Hey, it sounded great and was very sensitive but it was a king-sized pita to tune and the controls felt like they were stuck to a plate of soggy cereal. I was less than thrilled. I gave it to a friend and he loves it so go figure.

Mine would have to be the Carver TX-11 tuner. Hey, it sounded great and was very sensitive but it was a king-sized pita to tune and the controls felt like they were stuck to a plate of soggy cereal. I was less than thrilled. I gave it to a friend and he loves it so go figure.

My experience with the TX-11 tuner is the same as yours. The TX-11B is supposed to be better though...

Back
Top Bottom