The worst speakers ever made - unbelievable...

I see a couple of air core inductors and a simple 2nd order crossover. Those 2.7uF caps look like they could be polypropylene as well. Nothing wrong with that, it may look cheap but it obviously works well. It's nowhere near as bad as what's in this thread - in fact, that NS10 crossover is quite good.

However if you don't like them feel free to send them to me for proper disposal.. ;-)

AFAIK, all the caps in the NS10 are Non-polar electrolytics, and the inductors are wound on ferrite bobbins, at least per many discussions I googled.

OK, so I bought a big Yamaha receiver for parts the other day for a few dollars and the guys say, "there's speakers that go with that". I'd already seen these monstrosities and said, "nah you can keep them", but there were four speakers, two of these and two Yamaha NS200s which had some decent parts in them, so I took them all.

Was going to take them straight to the rubbish tip, but just had to post these pics. A new low in Chinese speakers for your enjoyment :)

From the outside, I've seen worse, but the baffle was falling off one and there seemed to be some rocks rattling around inside...
[etc etc]

:)

Best laugh of the day. Just think, that hunk of concrete probably had a part number associated with it. Can't say I've ever heard of the brand, so I looked em up. Bankrupt in 2010, wonder why. But they did crank out a few 'unlocked' disc players that could be used for media copying.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apex_Digital

I see a couple of air core inductors and a simple 2nd order crossover. Those 2.7uF caps look like they could be polypropylene as well. Nothing wrong with that, it may look cheap but it obviously works well. It's nowhere near as bad as what's in this thread - in fact, that NS10 crossover is quite good.

However if you don't like them feel free to send them to me for proper disposal.. ;-)
Those look like iron or ferrite core to me.

These would have made an excellent candidate for plugging straight into a wall socket. I LOVE those videos where people plug speakers into the wall and get insane 60hz tones.
Sansui did that too, at least on the pair of SP-2500s I peeked into.

Actually the Yamaha NS series did this. Both the 500m and 1000m that I owned had the 12" baffle cutout glued to the inside of the cabinet behind the woofer. Since it was 1" birch ply, it does add a bit of mass to the cabinet. I always thought it was a $0 cost way to make a less resonant cab :)

Best laugh of the day. Just think, that hunk of concrete probably had a part number associated with it. Can't say I've ever heard of the brand, so I looked em up. Bankrupt in 2010, wonder why. But they did crank out a few 'unlocked' disc players that could be used for media copying.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apex_Digital
I thought the name sounded familiar but it finally dawned on me when I was moving stuff around in the basement and ran across one of those DVD players. We also had one of their TV's a huge and heavy 26".
My trusty SONY broke down after 17 yrs. of service and we needed something cheap while the prices of those newfangled LED TV"s went down so picked up the Apex for $150.
Still worked fine some 7 yrs later when we finally gave it away.

yup
we used to buy apex dvd players too for the same reasons
and they usually played any codec your pc threw at them

There are some other truly horrible ones out there. If you ever see a set of “Acoustic Response” speakers, run like the wind. They are the classic “White van” speaker (my friend bought some out of a white van). Man, those speakers suck.

Back
Top Bottom