The Yamaha Shop & Garage System

Yamaki

Not For Hire
Subscriber
This system...keeps changing in configuration and venue.

I gave up the spare bedroom to the boss for her purposes, which wasn't hard at all and had to move the system. I found I was not using the system there and decided to move it out to the garage / shop area because I needed a system out there after the Yamaha CA-2010 had let it's magic smoke out and refused to turn on again.

The CT-610 tuner went to a good home, I fixed the CA-2010 and sold that as well. But here is what it looked like before this recent round of changes:

Gar03_zps43bd8cd9.jpg

I scored a Salvation Army $5.99 special, a Onkyo dual well auto/reverse, play and record cassette deck. Then I realized why I had kept all those party mix tapes I had in the two tray boxes!

609c60a6-42a1-4ebf-ab4f-47c42c3af361_zpsb02ee880.jpg

Some time later I remembered having a Denon DVD 5910 boxed up and in storage in the spare room so I unboxed it and added it to the system. I really like these old Denon DVD/SACD/CD players.

Gar06_zps41956388.jpg

Gar05_zpsca638f55.jpg

After the CA-2010gave it up, I decided to unbox the CR-1020 and put it to work in the garage. It's too wide to fit into the little flexy I made so it went on the top shelf and a few things got moved around. I also found I had squirreled away a Yulong Sabre D18 DAC and decided it should be added to the system.

102216%2001_zpsj6gcumad.jpg

102216%2002_zpsz5lboifw.jpg

And so the system played away in that configuration for a while until I remembered two more things that had been put away for future use..and old Gateway laptop and the Yulong asynchronous USB adapter. The Yulong DAC has no USB in but the adapter is made specifically as a USB connection upgrade for the DAC and supports up to 24 bit / 192 kHz PCM files.

I updated the music on the old Gateway from my FLAC file repository, incorporated the USB adapter, got out a nice WW optical cable I had in my cable stash and found WW USB A to B cable (I'm beginning to think I'm pretty darn good at squirreling things away. :D) and hooked it all up.

Wow...I think I found the right combination of old skool and new skool technology that creates a nice synergy.

Gar%2011_zps8lt9nh0n.jpg

Gar%2012_zpsdhx3c4ul.jpg

So while I have other systems to listen to; this one makes my time in the garage and shop that much more enjoyable. And it sounds good!

Last edited:
Wait, isn't that a 2010 in the first picture? Where is that one?o_O

Very observant of you. And here I was thinking of another system when I wrote this. Thanks for noticing that!

I started with a large stack of Yamaha gear and I swapped it in and out in a few systems. Seems I lost track! :oops:

YamStack01_zps329d61b0.jpg

It was sold on after being cleaned up and repaired.

Did you opt for the 1020 because of the tuner? Otherwise, I would have kept the 2010. But that's me.:D Or my timeline with the story is messed up:rolleyes:

Naw...you're timeline can't be any worse than mine. The order in which this system came together was convoluted at best. :D

I wanted to go to a receiver so I could reduce the # of components in the system at the time so I could add the CD player and keep the tape storage. Also, the 2010 was dead and I needed a new set up, which I had from that large stack shown in the pic above.

Even though I downsized a bit, I've run out of room on the flexy. The DAC and USB adapter are under it. I may end up making another flexy that has two sides and is a bit wider.

CDP TBD --->Yamaha C-80 ----> Soundcraftsmen A5002 ----> SPKR's TBD

Back
Top Bottom