The year is 1978

Discussion in 'Solid State' started by tater415, Feb 9, 2018.

1. turnitdown

turnitdown Well-worn member Subscriber

I was the wireless remote control for my parents...and the antenna turner. Got fired in 1972.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. tater415

tater415 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Does that remote work the TV functions and the stereo functions of your console?

3. TomBig58

TomBig58 AK Subscriber Subscriber

The Imperial series Magnavox were TOTL console and armoire stereos. No TV but I'm sure a similar TV remote was available in 72. This is the 1972 model I stumbled across. It has a channel out and I've done nothing with it except move it to a shop where I can work on it.

20171205_194503.jpg

As per the owners manual the remote powers it on and off and turns volume up and down. Search/reject for the turntable rejects a stacked record to the next one but doesn't lift the tone arm or turn off the platter. It also searches for radio stations but I'm not sure how. There is a "station select" button on the receiver but no instruction for presets or whether it moves to a strong station. There's a tiny little unit wired to the rear top of the cabinet I assume is the sonic receiver for the remote. It only has two wires.

4. tater415

Wow that Imperial is huge! it even has its own roof pretty cool, looks like you need a forklift to move it

5. TomBig58

TomBig58 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thank God it's in two pieces. All solid wood/fine furniture construction the bottom speaker section about 200lbs. The top wouldn't fit in my van so I went back a couple weeks later with a pickup. Close to 300lbs it was iffy with three of us and moving dollies.

Pio1980 likes this.
  6. dlucy

dlucy dlucy67 (Doug) Subscriber

TomBig58 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. dlucy

dlucy dlucy67 (Doug) Subscriber

8. Ray Gianelli

Ray Gianelli AK Subscriber Subscriber

Right you are! The Flash-Matic preceded the Space Commander by a year:

The Zenith Flash-Matic was the first wireless remote control invented by Eugene Polley in 1955.

Pio1980 likes this.
  9. tater415

Wow 1955 I wasn't even a wink in my mom's eye yet

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  10. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

I was the Remote control for waking up my parents starting in 1955. By 1972 I had graduated to climbing up on the roof and becoming the motor to turn the antenna. Fell off once and broke my arm.(2 story Dutch Colonial(3 stories in the back of the house.......Thankfully I landed in the Hedge/bushes in the front)). Told the Old Man, he could go up the next time! Needless to say I had a puffy lip the rest of the week. I never went back up on that roof, The Old Man eventually got off his wallet and bought a rotator.

DaveWho1 and TomBig58 like this.