Theater Research Speakers?

vince1272

Im looking at Floor standing Theatre Research speakers......can somebody please tell me if these speakers are any good? Thanks!

I could be totally wrong, but, the name Theatre Research rings of WHITE VAN speakers... beware!

Have you done any searching?

Never heard of them but from the name they sound like "white van" speakers. Where did you see these speakers Vince?

Mike

I've seen several sales for this brand on ebay lately in the category ///speakers/floorstanding. You sure cannot judge a speaker by its cover, that's for sure.

Ive been seeing alot of these speakers on EBAY lately. I went on theater research's home page, and they are very expensive speakers, but they seem to be more of home theatre speakers than just simple music speakers. I just picked up a beautiful Sansui G-7000 and Im looking for a pair of tower speakers that will do the receiver justice. Right now im using Sony ss-600 towers and while decent, they just wont give me what I want. Any suggestions on decently priced towers that will sound great with a vintage unit like a Sansui? Thanks! vince

Vince those are in the same category as Dogg digital and all the rest of the "white van" speakers. Check out all the sellers feedback ratings. They are all zero's. The one who is a (9) has never sold anything before. Just because the box says $2K doesn't make it so. I'd bet a pair of Paradigm Titans would blow these things away.

Mike

Hi vince....welcome :)

Whatcha looking to spend? What size room? What music do you like?

Have you had a chance to listen to any speakers? if so...what ones did ya like?

Best thing to do, if your just starting out, is go listen to some speakers and find what you like that's in your price range.

have fun!

Thanks for all the great info....very helpful. This system will be put in a room approximately 14 by 14, and the main music that will be pumping from it will be rock and roll.....classic rock, hard rock, heavy metal. (Im not sure this matters in determining the type of speakers i buy) Ive always been a big fan of tower speakers....I think they look great. Ive listened to a few speakers, but nothing that really "wowed" me....especially for the expensive price tags attached to them. I listened to a few JBL's and a few Infinity speakers around 500 to 700 for the pair....again, pretty decent sound but I think I can do better. I dont know why I thought it would be easy to find speakers that I liked....its definitely alot tougher than I thought. I think im even going to look at some "vintage" speakers...I see alot of these on ebay and people seem to rave about them. Ive bought so many junky speakers in the past purely based on looks, and im determined not to do that again, so I guess I just have to listen with my ears and not my eyes! Thanks again guys.....Vincehttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3042872034&category=14993

Thor-

He is saying the CS-63DX is far superior than the 100's. Hence the "spanked" term.

I haven't had the opportunity...

...to listen to a pair of HPM-100's but I do own a set of CS-63DX's. I personally love them but mine, having come from the original owner who bought them overseas back around 1971 and has packed them with him ever since, are a little rougher than the ones in the auction. I am not sure if every driver works but I did have to spray some DeOxit into the tone controls to get the high end to stop cutting out. Just doing a basic test (ear in front of each driver while fiddling with the bass and treble knobs on my receiver) it sounded like everything works and they sound fantastic. By the way, no foam surrounds on these.

Jay

The CS-63DX was the TOTL (through several offerings). It is bigger physically than the CS-99A. Personally, though, I thought the 99A went a bit deeper in the bass register.
A good ol' speaker system, though. Good to hear that someone is still using a pair!
I have had the CS-88A & CS-99A, and the HPM-900 (replaced the HPM-100). I really liked/like all three, but the HPM is just a bit more refined.
One could definitely ROCK OUT with the 63DX.

Vince

If you are looking for a good pair of tower speakers, mainly for rock n roll, around the $600-$700 range. I`d suggest JBL`s L150`s. These are a true "tower" speaker and will rock your socks off. I`d stay away from the newer JBL`s; Northridge or any of their cheaper HT offerings.

And good luck.

J

Bully,

I had no idea the 63DX's were top of the line! Being a lower model number than the CS-99 and CS-88 I assumed they were not the top. Thanks for the information. I was very pleased when I got them and I didn't know what they were when my wife bought them. Perfect timing; the original owner's wife was sick of them after 30+ years and I sent my wife out to the garage sales where she found them. Great price, too, considering he threw in a Pioneer SX-3600 as part of the package. The receiver needs a new cord but works fine otherwise. I will enjoy them for another 30 hopefully.

Jay

Bully,

I had no idea the 63DX's were top of the line! Being a lower model number than the CS-99 and CS-88 I assumed they were not the top. Thanks for the information. I was very pleased when I got them and I didn't know what they were when my wife bought them. Perfect timing; the original owner's wife was sick of them after 30+ years and I sent my wife out to the garage sales where she found them. Great price, too, considering he threw in a Pioneer SX-3600 as part of the package. The receiver needs a new cord but works fine otherwise. I will enjoy them for another 30 hopefully.

Jay

Something must be wrong with those vintage speakers or the people selling them. They have been replaced by Bose speakers. Ewwwwwwww.:puke:

Back
Top Bottom