Theoretical system

Mlistens03

@Mister Pig started a thread basically saying “if you could sell everything and start over, what would you do?
Link to the thread here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....ing-and-are-you-brave-enough-to-do-it.847624/
So after working out the eBay value of my gear, I realized I could take a significant step up if I sold everything and started over.
So if I was to sell everything at a hundred or so less than eBay value (unless it’s value is under $200), I’d end up with around 2,400. I promised 10% towards a mission trip, and the rest for whatever I want to do with it.
I’m thinking about these models:
Dali Oberon 3
Marantz PM5005
Rega Planar 1 (I’d use my Shure M97xE cartridge)
And then AudioQuest cables.
For speakers, I also looked at Polk and Monitor Audio, and there are a few more brands I want to see, but the Dalis seem to be hard competition. Any other suggestions around that price point? I’d set the top at $800 or so, but I could maybe stretch that if other money would be better put here.
For the integrated, I looked at several brands, most notable being Marantz, Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, and Pioneer. The Marantz spec-ed the best, and IIRC their house sound is warm which would pair nicely with the Dalis. Any other recommendations for that? Around $500.
And then the turntable. I decided on the Rega because after seeing reviews for Pro-Ject and U-Turn, it seems they have some issues. Does anyone have any other recommendations for that? Around $500.
And if the way I am dispersing the funds is off, what should I upgrade/downgrade?
Also mods, if this is the wrong forum, feel free to let me know and i will delete this thread and restart in the correct one.
And before anyone recommends to go used, I have in the past, and I don’t really wanna deal with restoring older pieces.
Thanks!

And I forgot to add, I will also need speaker stands. Any recommendations around the $200 mark? +/- 100 or so.
Thanks again. :)

I know you don’t want to buy used but I would still pick up the amp and turntable used. It does not have to be vintage. Take that money saved and the $200 for the speaker stands and put that money in to a set of floor standing speakers or maybe the Maggie MMGs and take the $200 for the stands and buy some records.

I know you don’t want to buy used but I would still pick up the amp and turntable used. It does not have to be vintage. Take that money saved and the $200 for the speaker stands and put that money in to a set of floor standing speakers or maybe the Maggie MMGs and take the $200 for the stands and buy some records.

I thought about doing the turntable used, and I think I may. But I don't want to buy my amp used, because I've bought loads of used receivers, amps, integrateds, and more used, and they have all looked bad and more than 50% were broken, whether the original owner said they were or not. Just not many people selling this stuff in FL, at least not vintage.
Floorstanding speakers are a no go. I want to have something a bit smaller. The Dalis should have plenty of bass output for my space, as I have a relatively small room (12x14 or so). I may also add a sub in the future, like the SVS SB1000.
And while Magnepans would be really sick, they are huge, and I don't think my mom could tolerate a pair of speakers in her house. :)
And as for buying records, if everything sells and I stick with what I have here, I will still have $400ish to spend on records, CDs, etc.
Thanks!

@Mister Pig started a thread basically saying “if you could sell everything and start over, what would you do?
Link to the thread here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....ing-and-are-you-brave-enough-to-do-it.847624/
So after working out the eBay value of my gear, I realized I could take a significant step up if I sold everything and started over.
So if I was to sell everything at a hundred or so less than eBay value (unless it’s value is under $200), I’d end up with around 2,400. I promised 10% towards a mission trip, and the rest for whatever I want to do with it.
I’m thinking about these models:
Dali Oberon 3
Marantz PM5005
Rega Planar 1 (I’d use my Shure M97xE cartridge)
And then AudioQuest cables.
For speakers, I also looked at Polk and Monitor Audio, and there are a few more brands I want to see, but the Dalis seem to be hard competition. Any other suggestions around that price point? I’d set the top at $800 or so, but I could maybe stretch that if other money would be better put here.
For the integrated, I looked at several brands, most notable being Marantz, Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, and Pioneer. The Marantz spec-ed the best, and IIRC their house sound is warm which would pair nicely with the Dalis. Any other recommendations for that? Around $500.
And then the turntable. I decided on the Rega because after seeing reviews for Pro-Ject and U-Turn, it seems they have some issues. Does anyone have any other recommendations for that? Around $500.
And if the way I am dispersing the funds is off, what should I upgrade/downgrade?
Also mods, if this is the wrong forum, feel free to let me know and i will delete this thread and restart in the correct one.
And before anyone recommends to go used, I have in the past, and I don’t really wanna deal with restoring older pieces.
Thanks!
For new speakers, I'm a big fan of KEF, especially the LS50s. LS50s can be found factory refurbished on accessories4less for $900-$1k. However, Dalis and Monitor Audio are excellent as well. Lots of good competition in that price range - Elac, Q Acoustics, B&W, Focal, etc. I find bookshelf/stand mount speakers to be the best value in that price range - and would be well-suited for your small room.

A Marantz or Yamaha integrated would be the best new value in that price range, IMO.

My good friend has a U-Turn and has had no issues whatsoever with it. I highly recommend them. Can't go wrong with Rega or Pro-Ject either.

Last edited:
For new speakers, I'm a big fan of KEF, especially the LS50s. LS50s can be found factory refurbished on accessories4less for $900-$1k. However, Dalis and Monitor Audio are excellent as well. Lots of good competition in that price range - Elac, Q Acoustics, B&W, Focal, etc. I find bookshelf/stand mount speakers to be the best value in that price range - and would be well-suited for your small room.

A Marantz or Yamaha integrated would be the best new value in that price range, IMO.

My good friend has a U-Turn and has had no issues whatsoever with it. I highly recommend them. Can't go wrong with Rega or Pro-Ject either.
Kef was the main brand I was thinking of when I said "other brands." What Hifi liked the Dali Oberons more than the Q Acoustics equivalent. I'm not familiar with Elac, but I know they are very well liked.
I will definitely look at Focal, I thought they were only in uber-expensive speaker markets.
And B&W has always just had a sound I didn't care much for. A bit too clinical, not enough "fun" to the sound. Maybe I just didn't hear them paired with the right gear.
I liked the looks and features of the Yamaha SA-500 more than the Marantz PM5005 I'm looking at, but the Yamaha doesn't spec as well. Plus, Yamaha is a bit more neutral, and I think that the warmer Marantz would pair better with the Dalis.

So I thought about it, and in this system I think my Technics SL3200 will be perfectly fine, so I'm going to stick with that. That gives me some more money to play with, so I may try to jump a model or two up in the amp/speakers. which should I go for?

I like Dali and Focal over Polk and Monitor Audio speakers. Dali zensor 3 are my next speakers most likely. I love their clear mids of wood woofer, and transparent tweeter!

Focal also sounds upscale and audiophile.

It is in your choice of receiver that you can do much better. Consider this Distinction Series Teac AI-1000 on Amazon - MSRP $1000 but now $550 shipped. They have more upscale sound than the ones you were looking at. Your great speakers the Dali deserve at least something like this to bring out their best. Read the glowing reviews on Amazon.com

I’ve thought about it, and am now planning on sticking with my NAD C352. It is a lot better than I was giving it credit for, and I already have an above average phono stage (Hagerman Audio Labs Bugle 2.) that just leaves me to get a DAC.
I’ve looked at Focal and Polk, and as much as I like Focal, I don’t know about the brand much and would prefer to get something that I know about. Polk has speakers at great prices, but only below and above my budget unless I was looking for towers.
If you were wondering, the NAD I have was $550ish new, and has a stellar amp section, and a pretty good pre section. I’m planning on maybe adding a seperate pre at a later date and sticking with that amplifier in the NAD.
Might be able to get some Acustat 1+1s for $800 if you get a little lucky.
I really wanted to go the electrostat (or planar) route, but they are just huge. my room is very small and not great acoustically, and IIRC electrostats and such are very sensitive to good placement, which I can’t provide them.
Thanks for the suggestions guys! :)

So I'm almost done revamping my stereo from this whole thing... and I did just about nothing I said I would. I ended up getting a pair of KEF Q150s when they were on sale after Christmas, I got some cables (AQ Evergreen), built stands, Got a rack (Salamander Archetype 5), etc. All in all, I changed my mind and priced everything I was selling for bargain prices (or close to it) but I still ended up making $6-700. Still have one more set of cables to get, and then I'm done.
I almost got a deal on a Marantz 2270 receiver yesterday, and may get a nice vintage receiver later on, should I find a deal on one.
I'll post some pics later. :)
Micah

Back
Top Bottom