1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Theremini

Discussion in 'Musical Instruments' started by welcomdmat, Aug 9, 2018.

1. welcomdmat

welcomdmat AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have the chance to play around with a Theremini theremin. Has anyone here spent time learning this instrument?

I have watched a couple of YouTube videos. It seems like a really interesting instrument with a lot of possibilities.

I LIKE MUSIC likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff" Subscriber

With a Theremin there is no limit to what your imagination can do. I would guess that remembering what you did half an hour ago will be difficult. I'd love to touch one. Have fun.

welcomdmat likes this.
  3. Mystic

Mystic We're all born mad

I used to own one, but traded it away several years ago for a couple of '50s Gibsons, both Lesters. But I kept the original literature that came with the theremin, a 4-page foldout brochure/users manual explaining its origins, features, and special uses. FYI the "buyer" of my theremin, when asked, declined to take this piece of literature, telling me he already had the same piece of literature and didn't need a second example. So I've kept it all these years. The theremin, while a blast to dick arounf with (read: play), was fairly unpredictable as musical instruments go, so I let it go in preference for music machines (ie, geetars) I could control. IIRC the geetar "machines" taken in trade comprised a (so-called) 1961Les Paul (i.e., the "SG" style Lester that Les Paul hated) in Cherry finish and a 1956 LP Special w/ its original "TV" (i.e., light limed-oak + black 'guard) finish. Ah but both birdies flew away to other hands in exchange for different geetars and/or cash. I never missed the '61 Les Paul/SG thing, although it had nicely-toned PUPs, but the '56 Special was, well, special, for as it turned out it was the best-sounding single-cutaway 50s Lester Special I wold ever own. Should kept that one. No other 50s Lester Special ever came close, but a 90s Lester Special, built @ the Big G's Custom Shop @ Kala mazoo, and sprayed in all gold (entire body, neck, and head) did come close. Another I should have kept but no, I traded it off for a circa 1966 100w plexi-head you-know-what. That thing I still have.

welcomdmat likes this.
  4. welcomdmat

welcomdmat AK Subscriber Subscriber

I understand what you are saying about remembering. I have hopes that the software tied into the Theremini will help a bit, but that will require knowledge of note location to keep consistent pitch.

5. Binkman

Binkman AK Subscriber Subscriber

In the late 60's I knew a good band lead who had said Lp gold. he repaired restored gold. I had a lp jr. and that also had that good sustain easy distortion character. The thing I remember about his lp was the pup face screws had no flat head on them but just the screw driver slot. wonder if those old caps used have a lot to do with that tone they had plus the screw? he had those adjust at diff heights I guess the pups were fixed.. don't remember that much detail if they were adjustable or just the screws.