There's only one authentic Hungarian Gulyás

Superampman

AK Member
And here it is:

1) 2 large onions diced very small
2) 1 large Hungarian yellow bell pepper
3) 7 medium potatoes
4) 4-5 large carrots
5) 3-4 lbs cubed beef shank 1.5"( ultra traditional calls for either goat or lamb), pork will do.
6)1/2 tsp. black pepper
7) 2 tbl spn. Hungarian paprika
8) salt to taste

Oh yeah, it's basically soup. All in a 6-8 qt. pot.

Last edited:
In Ohio, the goulash I grew up with was macaroni, ground beef, stewed tomatoes, onions, garlic, and paprika.

There was nothing authentically Hungarian about it, but it sure is good comfort food.

My mom's German goulash growing up didn't have potatoes and was served over egg noodles. Very similar taste to Sauerbraten.

You misspelled galoshes in the thread title ... <G>

German-army-840x420.jpg

I used to do a lot of complicated, fancy cooking, but as I've gotten older I increasingly appreciate simple recipes such as this.
Done correctly with the right ingredients, what could be better?
Anyway, thanks....I copied the recipe to my files.

Always interests me that peppers became such a strong part of various cultures as, of course, they're a New World thing....and didn't begin to spread to the rest of the world until the 15-16th centuries.

Can't remember if that's a subscriber thing or not? I suppose you could always request a mod to fix it, and let the world think I'm crazy ...

(well ... crazier anyway) <G>

In Ohio, the goulash I grew up with was macaroni, ground beef, stewed tomatoes, onions, garlic, and paprika.

There was nothing authentically Hungarian about it, but it sure is good comfort food.

I grew up in Ohio as well. Sounds like "slum gullum". It was a common dish and word, at least as far as I knew at the time. Could be a bastardization of Slumgullion, which I just discovered on the Interwebs.

Back
Top Bottom