ThermalTrak and Power Amplifiers

neo30

Hello Everybody. I have been this weekend at Mcintosh´s web all time. The only power amplifier (1 or 2 channel) that use ThermalTrak transistors is the MC2KW. Why? I think that the next year (2009) Mcintosh will release some 2 ch power amplifier with ThermalTrak transistors. Whereas, the MA6300, MA6600 and MA7000 integrated amplifiers use ThermalTrak.

If the MC1.2KW was released in 2007, Why don´t it use ThermalTrak?

Bye!

What is thermatrak and what difference does it make ?

Newest transistor technology that eliminates thermal equilibrium lag time and bias trimming, better sound quality through improved dynamic temperature response, improved bias stability, higher reliability through reduced heat emission...

Here's a post from one of the device vendors regarding why they're interesting. Note that this was 3 years ago.

As for why some Mac models use them and other models don't, I suspect it has a lot to do with 1) when the models were introduced vs when the devices became available and 2) the price points of the amps in question. There are always design tradeoffs involved with any piece of gear no matter what the intended price range.

While I understand the concept of embedding the thermal tracking devices on the same substrate with the transistor junction itself, I wouldn't even begin to conjecture why this is compelling for the latest Mac circuit topologies. I'd love to see a white paper from Mac about it, though.

I'm sure Ron C will have better McIntosh insight than this......

Cheers,

David

We use both TT and normal output transistors. The Thermal Track transistors do not offer any performance improvement as far as distortion, signal to noise, etc.
We use the TTs in many models since these are real time self biasing devices which simplifies the design of the amp some what. Any new transistor type has a build ramp up that will eventually allow the price to be more competitive with the existing part. Using both types has allowed smoother supply since we do not have all of the models using one or the other.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Ok,
What does it mean when you say eliminates thermal equilibrium and bias trimming ??
It's just a diode on the same die but electrically isolated from the transistor. So the package has five legs, less lag time in tracking the transistors heat.

Yes , 5 legs and ON SEMI get some trouble with some transistor serie ......We get this on MC INTOSH and AUDIO RESEARCH amplifiers
Necessary to replace all the set on one channel when this happen

Back
Top Bottom