These A-50's look nice an' all - but $499?

Wow, at first I thought this was another crazy starting price from an over-optimistic seller but these have actually been bid up to that, with 7 days to go! Vintage fever in August, wonder what's going to happen to prices this winter?

I believe these speakers were mostly sold in Europe and not many in USA. They are worth every penny not just because I own a pair but the sonic resonance of the bass is so powerful and easy on the ears. The music seem to flow smooth and effortlessly like instant karma in a box. I would not sale mine for $1000. (This is not a solicitation nor a valuation just my perspective.

cp2buy said:
I believe these speakers were mostly sold in Europe and not many in USA. They are worth every penny not just because I own a pair but the sonic resonance of the bass is so powerful and easy on the ears. The music seem to flow smooth and effortlessly like instant karma in a box. I would not sale mine for $1000. (This is not a solicitation nor a valuation just my perspective.

Whooooshhhh... would be the sound of me snapping the cash out of a buyers hand if I had a pair of A50's and he offered US$1k for them.

Similar sounds would be made for $500.

Something seems odd about that auction, 97.7 FB and she comes up with these? Maybe she's just lucky...

CP2Buy,

I'll trade ya some Micro Acoustics for those Dynaco A-50s... :scratch2: :D :smoke:

I'd love to hear some of those large Dynacos. But for $500, could one that's handy with tools make one of their own? Replacement modern tweeters, drop-ins from Morel, the MDT20, at here... http://www.morelhifi.com/ ...

The harder part might be getting the woofers- I think the A-50 used a pair of the typical Dynaco-speced woofers, except in a rarer 16 ohm load. These woofers were hooked together in order to get back to an 8 ohm load.

anyone have an idea what might work in leu of the originals?

Here's what Greg Dunn (http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/components/speakers/) said about the Dynaco A-50s...

"The sonic balance of the A-50 tends to favor the middle low bass range, and emulates the sound quality of one of the most expensive and widely regarded compact speakers. The A-50's dual woofers provide 1/3 more radiating area than a 12" cone with superior transient response and exceptional power handling capability. The shallow cabinet depth affords a unique opportunity for a system of its capability to be installed in room dividers, or flush mounted in normal bookshelf depths. The high mounting of the woofers minimizes excessive bottom end, which can arise if the A-50 is placed on the floor. Like our other speakers, the most realistic reproduction will usually be achieved when it is mounted near ear level in most rooms. All but the A-50 are supplied with hangers for wall mounting. The efficiency of the A-50 matches the A-25 and A-35, but it really comes into its own when diven by a high power amplifier like the Stereo 400. Then, as Norman Eisenberg said in High Fidelity magazine, "We soon found ourselves... listening to the program material rather than the equipment."

cp2buy said:
Hey Array, What $500 speakers would you compare to the A 50's.

Hi CP2, I know you like your speakers and they sound good to your ear. Period. What we fail to remember as audio buffs is in the constant quest for acoustic perfection in reproduction we may come across a pair that sounds fantastic, even if it isn't whizbang. If this be the case, stick with what you've got irrespective of price or public opinion. If you are happy with a loudspeaker, savour it and I salute your happiness. So many audiohounds aren't.

Audio is a business for me. To me, the A50 isn't anything special and would be nothing more than product to be moved (at the speed of light for US$500/pair). I've heard / sold a set of A50 before along with about 10 pairs of A25XL over the years. The two sound similar, with the A50's having more volume and extension of course. But again, they are nothing special to me. To my ear they are a polite, unremarkable loudspeaker, certainly not dynamic. I do beleive simpler is better in design, and the A50 / follow that philosophy. I also like them (A25's) from a sales point of view! They are always an easy sell and Dynaco sold 1000's of pairs. It was a big success commerically, no doubt about it.
At the end of the day, for less than $500 in parts I could build a system that would simply annihilate in performance any A25 or A50, to my ear.

A-50 went for $710! Thedelihaus, If you had read one of my previous post I stated that my A 50's are part of my system that I would never sale. (Homeland security could not get my A-50's) but, if you want to sale those MA's we can talk. Array, I can not say the A-50 is right for all music. It is my theory that their are some speakers which are better match for the pre elecrtrical musical age. Folk music, blues and jazz are perfect match for these speakers and I guess the German engineering got it right after being impressed with the blues records they heard from solders who sent home for them during the war. They do capture the essence of the "blue note" the note that is felt before it is heard.

cp,

I'll be setting up my listening area once I can get the dang contractors to finish up- 6 months later than the last time they "Absolutely, positively" promised.

I'll give those Micro Acoustics a good listen. If they are the best thing since sliced bread and Audio Karma, I may keep them.

If I am not fond of them, they, as well as a few others in my collection, will be sold off.

You, I promise, will be 1st to know. :thmbsp:

$710 was a bargain, didn't you see the promotion the seller offered?

"Pay no interest until 2007"

Back
Top Bottom