They Don't Make Music Like They Used To

Discussion in 'Music Forums' started by whell, Feb 9, 2019.

1. biscuithead

biscuithead Me likes the eargasm retroplasm... Subscriber

“Thank goodness they don't make music like they used to!!!

There's more dynamic range in today's music than there ever was. And it's clearer and crisper than ever. And that's due to advanced music making and recording. In another 20 years (about a generation in length), there will be another article written about the same thing in OUR music today.

I'm very tired of all of the criticism of today's music, today's youth. Every generation blames the one before.
    I'm 65 years old... and I am not going to join the other curmudgeons complaining about the younger generations and their music.

I encourage those who are in the same camp with this author to step outside of your comfort zone. Instead of being so critical of them and their music, recall your youth and the criticism of yourgeneration's music choices. How refreshing itwould have been to have our music accepted...and an attempt made to find out what is behind ourlove of our music... and everyone else's music, too.”

You are a rare one here on AK.
    I completely agree.

hnash53 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

There has ALWAYS been a loudness war. From Julie London's voice being recorded so high to 'The Wall of Sound'. There has always been loudness wars. This is nothing new.

RhythmGJ and hnash53 like this.
  3. RhythmGJ

RhythmGJ Here, But I'm Gone... Subscriber

Yes, if you read notes on certain recordings from the 80’s (The Pretenders, for instance) special mention was made to the effect that “This Record sounds Best when played LOUD!”

But again, physics and geometry of vinyl records limited the possibility of completely eliminating dynamics. Modern technology and formats have broken down those barriers.

The mastering engineers that I have spoken with in Nashville (several), as well as others around the country that I have had occasion to talk with, all agree. The most recent version of the “Loudness Wars” is real, detrimental to the music, and makes their job very difficult.

GJ

Pio1980 likes this.