They say "When Life gives you lemons"

steamshooter

The drought hit my house this week. DAMN!! Got a letter from our water company that said we have less than 30 days to hook up to city water, they're pullin' the plug. Less than 30 days to come up with close to three grand to drink a damn glass of water!:rant: :rant: :rant: On top of that the city water costs about twice as much per gallon. No new toys or tunes for me for awhile:dammit: :dammit: :dammit: Pass the sugar, I'm trying to make lemonade.
Brad

Sorry

Real Bummer - I hate things that just blind side you from nowhere. Takes a chunk out of the toy fund for sure.

steamshooter, where you live? (you could update your profile if you want me to stop askin')

You know what Thor's answer will be don't cha?

Hint - it comes in bottles and cans :dunno:

It doesn't rain out here between March and November anyway. We are in fire season now. When it starts raining in November, we enter slide season. We don't have the tradtional seasons out here on the left coast. Of course, we don't have a lot of traditional anything out here.

angela:D

That's what's so great about Nebraska.
We REALLY enjoy our fall day!!
Except in those years it pops from summer to winter. boo-hoo.
Or, they tuff it out. Fall is football, no matter what the temperature or weather.

pete

well, Pete you must be a happy guy, we are entering your time o year, eh?

do you have your sound system hooked up to the TV so you can listen to game REAL LOUD, like you were there?

I swam in a lake full of water last weekend they are everywhere here :D

We also have the ocean but you can't drink it ;)

I will trade blackflies for a drought anyday ;)

Thor,
That is easy to say but untill you have over 2 months of every day over 100 and a good portion of those over 110 you just can't quantify black flies against heat that will kill.
Taking a walk when the ambient air temperature is greater than 115 is close to as dangerous as 50 below.
You have to be slow, deliberate and know if you screw up you will be feeding the bottom of the food chain through stupidity.
Also in an environment where the plants, insects and animals have to survive this they tend to be very specialized and in some cases quite dangerous.
I know about black flies and know what a swarm can do to a man, but a 2" long light brown scorpion common to this area will put a healthy man in the hospital and kill a sick or weak one.
When I go out to the family farm I risk my life because of the weather, plants, insects, reptiles and the chance of aggressive livestock. I surely love it. I also carry firearms and very big blades.

But don't you guys live in a dry heat? No humidity?

We just had 7 straight days of 90+ heat with 100% humidity :(

I guess I'm fortunate:

The hottest days in summer are around 93ºF, and always at night it drops to 54ºF, and it's a dry heat, not hot and humid.

In winter temperatures can drop to 20º in the coldest days.

Chris

I'm in the foothills of the NC mountains, we've had an extremely hot and dry summer. High 90's, low 100's and enough humidity to wring it out of the air if you could get a hold of it. Mid to high 70's at night for the lows suck, big time. They are seriously considering shutting the lakes off to boat traffic because of the water levels. Too many obstructions in the water and too much stress on the fish. (Oxygen levels low because of heat and pollution from the boats) Paid the city for my water tap this morning, and looking at the papers, if we go on vacation for a solid month and not use a drop of water, the bill will be close to $45.00 just for the "privilege" of being hooked up.:rant:
There is a bright side: I told my wife we had to conserve water and shower together!:D :smsex: :D
I'm not going to take this sh*t laying down. I've been scrounging 55 gallon barrels all weekend to put under my downspouts. Just for fun Sat night during a short thunderstorm we put out some buckets in the yard as an experiment. We got almost 30 gallons.:cool: A 1000 sq. ft roof with one inch of rain will yield somewhere between 500 and 700 gallons depending on who you listen to. You folks in Texas know what I'm talking about. Anybody got any good links on collecting rainwater? Right now I'm trying to prove to Mrs. Steamshooter that we can take care of all our outside water needs with rainwater. Inside might come later.
Sorry for the length, this water biz has got me peaved to say the least. I need to vent.
Brad

Yeah I have to pay for city water and sewer the bill is right around $250 every 3 months, here they actually charge us more for the sewer than the water its about 60/40. Just like our electricity they charge us more to get it here than for the actual power.

Yes, Angela, I have an HT system for the TV. It's got 3 pair of fullrange speakers, and 2 Dahlquist PDQ-1500 active woofers. The center channel is driven by an Onkyo 150 wpc amp, the Elite VSX-99 takes care of the rest of things.
Since they have sold out every home game since 1962 (and on game day, Memorial Stadium in town becomes the third largest 'city' in the state), those games are televised.
I've got Yamaha speakers all around for the TV. A pair of NS-A838 for center and surround (a pair each), and the NS-A638 for surround duty. Running in 'large' mode, the subwoofers are mostly felt rather than heard :D
Actually being a Jayhawk (is it basketball season, yet?) I prefer to watch the Huskers in the comfort of my home, and yes, I enjoy it loud sometimes.
Actually, if I'm out in the yard with Roxie, and something happens during a game, I can HEAR the roar and I'm about 4 miles from the stadium. Mebbe 5 miles ... :dunno:
Nobody's too excited this year. Got some good young kids, but that's just it, they're young kids. They're not used to using young kids here.
One kid, a nose tackle, looks like one of those comicbook superheroes. Just a monster cut like outta stone. Chiseled. They say he's quick, and he's been the lifter of the year two years straight. Crazy in the weight room. Strongest guy on the team, and he only goes 290. It'll be an interesting fall in Lincoln.

pete
'Course, the strongest kid on campus is this Brit kid shotputter. 6-10, 330 lbs. Just a pup at 21. Lawd lawd lawd. Track & field rules!

Steam,
You can get 55 gal food service barrels and collect water that way. Remember that the shingles on your house are probably poison so don't try and drink the stuff.
I really gave this a lot of thought though I decided not to do it because I couldn't hide the bright blue barrels. Food service barrels usually are full of cooking oil so washing them out is easy and since they are hard plastic it is also easy to put a spiggot on one, or if you are real serious about it to join several together with PVC. On a platform the water will flow easily using gravity. You could water anything but a veggie garden with this.
On the farm rain water was caught on a tin roof and diverted to an underground cistern and we used a chain/pulley and hauled the drinking water up that way. The water brought up from a drilled well was not drinkable and so hard that soap would not sud, so laundry was washed in town.
Bully, football is possibly more popular than Jesus in Texas. High School football scores and highlites from around the state are a standard part of the sports on Saturday night prime time news. Home field advantage during the playoffs is a big deal because it can be a 500 mile trip by bus just to get to the other town.
An uncle that went to state in the 60s told me about the pile ups and how it was thumb in the eye, biting legs and real bad behavior by high school kids down in those heaps. They were playing for keeps.

Back
Top Bottom