They should have won an Oscar

soundmotor

super modified
(Or at least been nominated for one!)

Here are my picks:

Val Kilmer / Doc Holliday / Tombstone

Rutger Hauer / Roy Batty / Bladerunner

After having watched both of the above recently, I was again struck by the acting Kilmer & Hauer. Tombstone is a good movie but not a great movie. Kilmer's performance however is spectacular and elevates the rest of the film because of it. So much has been said about Hauer's performance in Bladerunner that I can't add much except to comment that he should have been recognized for his work there via the Oscar process.

I could think of others, but I'm curious if I've missed a few along the way.

Whattayagot?

cosmicdust said:
I'm your Huckehberry.

Ya beat me to it, CD! :thmbsp:

OK, here's the scoop on the Oscars:

1982 Blade Runner's year

Winner:
Officer and a Gentleman, An (1982) - Louis Gossett Jr.

Other Nominees:
Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, The (1982) - Charles Durning
Verdict, The (1982) - James Mason (I)
Victor/Victoria (1982) - Robert Preston (I)
World According to Garp, The (1982) - John Lithgow

1993, Tombstones' year

Winner: Fugitive, The (1993) - Tommy Lee Jones

Other nominees
* In the Line of Fire (1993) - John Malkovich
* In the Name of the Father (1993) - Pete Postlethwaite
* Schindler's List (1993) - Ralph Fiennes
* What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993) - Leonardo DiCaprio

I haven't seen all those flicks, but there's some darn fine performances there :yes:

Last edited:
I'm there with both of these performances.

Bladerunner is one of my top five favorite movies of all time (probably my favorite but it's hard to pick a single favorite) so I'm in total agreement. Especially the scene were he dies on the rooftop. Simply beautiful.

My wife and I watched Tombstone for the first time earlier this year and were completely blown away by Kilmer's performance. I had no idea he could act that well and he stold every scene he was in.

I forgot to add one not mentioned. Not sure how this would be recognized but Craig T. Nelson as the voice of Bob Parr in the Incredibles.

Last edited:
blade runner is also one of my top movies of all time. rutger hauer was great and sean young never looked better....

i read where harrison ford didn't like the movie at all.

The first time I saw Blade Runner, it was the version narrated by Harrison Ford, which I thought made more sense than the Director's Cut. I just checked at Amazon and it seems that the narrated version is not reasonably available.

Great flick, btw, and Rutger Hauer's performance is indeed great. And yes, Sean Young is stunning in this movie.

Murray

skippy_ps said:
I just checked at Amazon and it seems that the narrated version is not reasonably available.
It's not available at all on DVD. I had always hoped they would make it available but Ridley Scott hates that version and I doubt we'll ever see it. :no: A friend of mine made me a copy from a VHS so I have it on DVD but no Dolby Digital. It looks good enough to watch though. :yes: :tresbon:

"Nexus huh? I make you eyes!"

skippy_ps said:
The first time I saw Blade Runner, it was the version narrated by Harrison Ford, which I thought made more sense than the Director's Cut. I just checked at Amazon and it seems that the narrated version is not reasonably available.

Great flick, btw, and Rutger Hauer's performance is indeed great. And yes, Sean Young is stunning in this movie.

Murray

First time I saw it was in '82 (I think) on limited release. Really, it could not have been in the theater for more than a month. I was nuts about anything containing Harrison Ford thanks to Star Wars & Raiders. So I saw the film with my old GF. She hated it, I was stunned & blown away. However, there was one aspect about the film that surprised me. That being the incredible violence in 3 scenes. A year or so later, the film comes around again. I get a bunch of my buddies together and we go see it. I came away thinking that I must have really been in an odd way the first time I saw it because it was nowhere near as violent as I recalled it. Hmmmm.

In '95 or thereabouts, I borrowed the Criterion Laser Disc of Bladerunner. By now, I had the movie on VHS & RCA Selectavision CED! They were the watered down versions that I saw in '83. And which version do you think the Criterion LD version was? Yep, the very first version I had seen in '82.

There is Leon pushing his fingers deep into Deckards eyes, Roy Batty doing the same to Tyrell with blood rushing past, & Pris beating the living crap out of Deckard & lowering him to the floor with her fingers jammed up his nose before he plugs her 3 times & then gives her the coup de gras!

Is this the version you were referring to? AFAIK, the only version like this is on the LD.

soundmotor said:
There is Leon pushing his fingers deep into Deckards eyes, Roy Batty doing the same to Tyrell with blood rushing past, & Pris beating the living crap out of Deckard & lowering him to the floor with her fingers jammed up his nose before he plugs her 3 times & then gives her the coup de gras!

Is this the version you were referring to? AFAIK, the only version like this is on the LD.
I would love to get my hands on that version. I see LD players advertised on craigslist all the time for under $100. I'd be worth the price just to watch that version of the movie.

Here's a copy of the Criterion disc

Last edited:
Joaquin Phoenix -- Gladiator {"Commodus"} - nominated, should have won. You just hated the character.

Benicio Del Toro -- Traffic {"Javier Rodriguez"} - winner.

After thinking about it I called a friend of mine and confirmed that we can copy the S-video output to a PC and make a DVD version. So I purchased that copy. I'll let you know how it goes. Anybody got a LD player I can borrow? :D

British actress Emily Watson was nominated for Best Actress in 1996 for Breaking the Waves. One of the best film performaces I've ever seen. (Though I can't find fault with the winner that year--Francis McDormand for her great portrayal of Police Chief Marge in Fargo.)

John Wayne in "The Searchers" is one of the great iconic performances of all time. Didn't get the Oscar but should have.

Gregory Peck as General Savage in "Twelve O'Clock High" is as good as it gets. His performance is splendid. So is Dean Jagger's, who did win a nod for best supporting actor.

Betty Davis was absolutely perfect in "All About Eve" but didn't win anything. Celeste Holm deserved her supporting actress nod. This is a splendid film with every cast member turning in noteworthy performances. Davis, who could be a real ham, turned in the performance of a lifetime and was, at least in 1950, America's greatest actor.

Duffinator said:
After thinking about it I called a friend of mine and confirmed that we can copy the S-video output to a PC and make a DVD version. So I purchased that copy. I'll let you know how it goes. Anybody got a LD player I can borrow? :D

One wonders how many other films on LD's, or VHS even, that have never made it onto DVD?

I agree with some of the screw jobs posted, especially Bette Davis. I think the all time screw job has to be Anthony Quinn not winning for Zorba The Greek.

"Eric Roberts (yes Julia's brother and much more talented) in The Pope of Greenwich Village."

"Charlie, Dey took my Tumbs..."

A classic, haven't seen it since it first came out.

soundmotor said:
First time I saw it was in '82 (I think) on limited release. Really, it could not have been in the theater for more than a month. I was nuts about anything containing Harrison Ford thanks to Star Wars & Raiders. So I saw the film with my old GF. She hated it, I was stunned & blown away. However, there was one aspect about the film that surprised me. That being the incredible violence in 3 scenes. A year or so later, the film comes around again. I get a bunch of my buddies together and we go see it. I came away thinking that I must have really been in an odd way the first time I saw it because it was nowhere near as violent as I recalled it. Hmmmm.

In '95 or thereabouts, I borrowed the Criterion Laser Disc of Bladerunner. By now, I had the movie on VHS & RCA Selectavision CED! They were the watered down versions that I saw in '83. And which version do you think the Criterion LD version was? Yep, the very first version I had seen in '82.

I have the director's cut dvd and I think I have the narrated version on vhs. I'll have to watch the dvd again (I just watched it a week ago) to check on the "extra violence" and see if it's there. :D

It seems that the narrated vhs version is no longer available new - at Amazon, anyway.

Murray

Filmboydoug said:
I agree with some of the screw jobs posted, especially Bette Davis. I think the all time screw job has to be Anthony Quinn not winning for Zorba The Greek.

Definitely!

I'd consider George C Scott for his performance in Dr. Strangelove, but he'd probably give the Oscar back.

Back
Top Bottom