They still produce chemical color potographyc paper?

Telecolor 3007

I love old stuff
They still produce chemical color potographic paper? Like in the old days. Not paper for printers. Paper that needs chemical proccesing, but the image is obtained by projecting an image from a photographic film, so no electronics directly involved in the proccesing (only for help maybe).
They still do black and white paper of this kind. But colour?

I believe so. Although for typical 35mm processing the film image hasn’t been directly projected onto the paper almost for 20 years now. Instead the negative is scanned and the paper is exposed via lasers.

Haven't researched what's available for typical amateur use. I know Fuji makes paper, because it is used for a range of sizes in the printer at COSTCO; but as mhedges said, it is exposed by laser, not direct optics from a negative. Fuji-Frontier-570.jpg

Yes, it is still made. The paper is commonly called RA4 after the chemical process Kodak developed (pun not intended) for colour prints from negatives. It can be exposed by a variety of sources, generally laser these days (light jet or Lamda being common names for it) or traditional optical enlargers. The final print is generally refered to as a C Type print.

Prints from slides are a different process and use the Cibachrome or Ilfochrome method. Not much seen today. Expensive and difficult, but oh so lovely when got right. And Cibachromes will remain colour fast longer than RA4/C Type prints.

Now if I could only find someone to do Dye Transfer prints ....

Ilfochrome was discontinued in 2011. The brand is now being used for inkjet substrates, e.g., aluminum prints.

I have several Cibachrome prints on my walls (and more in storage) that I made in the late 80s. They have faded a bit, but not objectionably. (You can see it if you take them out of the frame.) Many of them I coated with spray-on lacquer for extra protection and to get a more matte surface, so this may have helped preserve them. Their color is very good (it was the best for its time), but I think current inkjet prints can outdo them. As far as longevity, though, Cibachrome is still probably the champ despite improvements in inks.

There is a lab in Canada that still does Cibachrome. I have been talking with them about doing a series of prints for a project. Maybe they have a supply of paper in reserve.

There is a lab in Canada that still does Cibachrome. I have been talking with them about doing a series of prints for a project. Maybe they have a supply of paper in reserve.
I would really be interested in finding out if they are working off reserves or what. Can you give a link to this lab?

Back
Top Bottom